Thread: Picking up spent pellets from the garden?

Question Picking up spent pellets from the garden?

How do you collect spent pellets from the lawn or garden?

The ones that bounced off the back stop, out of the catcher, or missed?

Rake? Scrape with hoe? Broom and pan? Vacuum cleaner ?
    The motor mower might lift them but the cuttings go in the compost, the pellets would have to be riddled out, too much work.

I'm looking for an easy solution. I'm somewhat disabled so bending down and picking them up is so not an option.

Place an old piece of carpet twixt the target and backstop, the pellets go through the carpet but will not bounce back through it. You end up with nice neat pile of lead bits that are easily collected.

Quote Originally Posted by Portzy View Post
    Place an old piece of carpet twixt the target and backstop, the pellets go through the carpet but will not bounce back through it. You end up with nice neat pile of lead bits that are easily collected.
    Thank you.

That is not the problem but the pellets that are now lying on what passes for a lawn.

Back stop is not the entire answer, yes it would be nice if all the pellets stopped there. Most of them to go into the catcher or fall to the ground right there. They can be tipped out or dust pan and brush easily enough.

The problem is the ones that maybe pinged off a spinner into another dimension. Certainly for me, crawling about on the ground is not an option, I could be stuck there for hours

How does one collect (that word in the search bring up a whole other topic, apparently some folks do collect pellets) together and pick up spent pellets that are not where they should be.

ive never really bothered my self

Quote Originally Posted by rapidresponse1 View Post
    ive never really bothered my self
    Apparently it bothers Swimbo

Easy solution do nothing, next easiest peg out a sheet before you start to catch any that bounce out of the stop.
    Unless you crawl around on all fours feeling for them, they're too small to collect.
    Catch what you can in your backstop / catcher, forget the rest.

Other thing is to build a decent backstop designed to catch them by angling them in to a specific area.

Roll your lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Roll your lawn.
    Got a dog that uses it as a race track. Sparse grass and hard packed ground.

Got back stops btw that will embed or angle shots down. Most go into the target catchers. A few will inevitably ping out from hitting metal bits. The few soon add up to many.

I still have to pick up the pellets.

I'll shoot until the CO2 is empty. That's getting on 80 shots per. So if I use up 3 or 4 CO2 it soon adds up.

At the moment rake out the ground then broom and pan, but it is far from a good solution.

Any better ideas?

If you fire at a steel thick plate as a back stop the pellets usually disintegrate in a pile in front, if you are concerned about picking them up put out a mat, sheet or a bit of carpet to collect the bits. If you grass is prized lawn with not much dirt or stones in just hoover up the spent pellets.

Put a tarp down before you start shooting or cut the grass and collect it then shoot and use a decent leaf Blower to blow them off the surface into the sides or make a pile to pick up.

A better option would be to leave them for a few months, then go out with a weed burner and set fire to the whole area leaving behind a lovely flat, lead plated lawn 😂
    Super soaker 3000 (water), nerf fang (foam), noisy cricket (energy), m41a pulse rifle (10x24), Gat gun (.177)

Buy a plastic tray from B&M, Aldi, Lidl or someplace cheap like them* and put that at your backstop the pellets "should" mostly land on the tray and be easy to remove

*Or if you are feeling very brave you could purloin one of SWMBO's

I've got an old steel water tank, the sort you use in the roof, a which is where I got this one after a water supply upgrade. It's on it's side with the targets at the back on a couple of bits of old carpet. I've occaisonally stuck a battery powered cupboard light in there but usually I don't need any extra lighting during daylight.
    It's an old one & made of 3mm galvanised steel. That's all the back stop I need.
    I empty it out every few months, I'm working on a big lead slab a la you tube's Taofledermaus.It currenly weighs about 12kg, when I ve got it to 20kg I'm planning on using it as a backstop, it's good to nave a plan.

Cool

The Op isn't interested in the backstop or variations thereof.

His Q is how do forum members pick up the bouncers from the grass......these happen when you hit a metal target so the spent pellet doesnt hit the rear of the catcher.

In reality this will be a bugga. I wouldnt bother personally.

If its an issue, prevention is better than cure so get a tarp you can roll out when shooting like an apron and then roll it up at the end hopefully catching the stray spent pellets that do bounce out

If you want to collect spent lead from the grass then that seems like a proper drag. Good luck
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

I bet a Henry hoover would suck em up! Then take the advice of protective measures mentioned above.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer