Thread: Load BP .44 Remington Pedersoli

Load BP .44 Remington Pedersoli

15 grain Swiss 2 15 grains Semolina 44 cal lubed wad. .454 ball. lube on the ball, All in a Pedersoli Remington. With or without lubed wad. Any comments appreciated
    Anschutz 1913. .22lr - Big Nikko. TX200.177 Mk3 Ultimate
    Taurus 357 LBR. Taurus .22 LBR BSA .22 RF Martini International Mk3.
    Marlin 357 original JM.

the Semolina replaces the need for a wad, not sure how much your need try 10grs but enough to bring ball up to near the top of cylinder
    Last edited by gtpkeeper; 14-09-2021 at 06:17 PM.
    ballkeeper

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    As gtpkeeper said - no need for a wad if using a lubed ball and that will save a bit of dosh. Use as much Semolina as it takes to get the ball just below flush when rammed home.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

I have a Pietta Remington.44. I use 18 grains of powder and 18 grains of semolina and a lubed ball. Patches have never figured in my load tests for it. Using this combination the ball seats just nicely in the chamber. Of course the Pedersoli may have different volume chambers. For my pistol 18 grains of the black stuff is where I get the best trade off between accuracy and frugality!

I'm wondering whether there is any advantage in lubing the ball when you are going to shave it down to fresh lead when you load it?

I personally prefer the simplicity of using a wad rather than packing with a filler.

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by steve medlock View Post
    I'm wondering whether there is any advantage in lubing the ball when you are going to shave it down to fresh lead when you load it?

I personally prefer the simplicity of using a wad rather than packing with a filler.

Steve.
    The edge shaved off contacts the cylinder, the lube is for contact with the forcing cone as the lead deforms into the rifling.

Having experimented with various fillers, wads and different lubricants over the years, I eventually settled on just a lubricated wad without filler or attempting to seat the ball close to the top of the chamber. Although this is goes against traditional wisdom, it works for me and avoids a lot of time during the loading process.

Brian

My load for my Colt Walker .44 is 55 or 60 grains of black powder a lubricated wad and .457 ball, I am not into cookery and couldn't stand semolina with or without jam in school dinners.

20 grns of b/p topped up with a scoop of semolina and a .457 ball. Plug the end of each chamber with wonder lube. Cap on and
    away you go. Cleaning is easy with my ROA's using wonder lube. Always brings a smile to your face.

Pietta Remington 1858... 23gns of any 3fg, lubed wad, .457 ball... no faffing with filler or lube...

Pedersoli Remington, at the minute im using 24 grains of Kranks cheap and cheerful, "fine", 16 grains of semolina, .454 ball (LEE mould), lube.
    I use a LEE perfect powder measure for the BP

13 shots @ 25m
    https://i.ibb.co/tqM8hQZ/03-A6-B4-C6...-E8-DE7314.png