Thread: BSA No 12 Sight

BSA No 12 Sight

I need a couple of the little springs that go either side of the slider .
    Has anyone had any luck finding or making any ?
    Many thanks .

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jedburgh View Post
    I need a couple of the little springs that go either side of the slider .
    Has anyone had any luck finding or making any ?
    Many thanks .
    They are fiddly as small but can be made, I used to make mainsprings / frizzen etc. springs for guns back in the 80's for a Black powder guy, the BSA one is simple by comparison, I used to get my material here sometimes I recall;

https://www.peterdyson.co.uk/acatalo...5.html#SID=174

And I also had a bottle of real Whale Oil.....long gone now.

Also other stuff can be used for non action springs, (ie. little "flat" springs as opposed to hairpin or heavier tapered types) maybe even an old HW rearsight may be fine for the Beeza.

Some ideas here;

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/h...-flat-springs/

If you need the dimensions let me know I and I will pull one apart.

As for finding one, put it on the list with the Hen's Teeth and Unicorn tusk.....although I bet there are some in a dusty drawer somewhere where the owner has no idea what they have!......I bought a load of N.O.S. BSA prewar cocking arm pushbuttons once like this (long gone).

ATB, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    They are fiddly as small but can be made, I used to make mainsprings / frizzen etc. springs for guns back in the 80's for a Black powder guy, the BSA one is simple by comparison, I used to get my material here sometimes I recall;

https://www.peterdyson.co.uk/acatalo...5.html#SID=174

And I also had a bottle of real Whale Oil.....long gone now.

Also other stuff can be used for non action springs, (ie. little "flat" springs as opposed to hairpin or heavier tapered types) maybe even an old HW rearsight may be fine for the Beeza.

Some ideas here;

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/h...-flat-springs/

If you need the dimensions let me know I and I will pull one apart.

As for finding one, put it on the list with the Hen's Teeth and Unicorn tusk.....although I bet there are some in a dusty drawer somewhere where the owner has no idea what they have!......I bought a load of N.O.S. BSA prewar cocking arm pushbuttons once like this (long gone).

ATB, Ed
    I made some last year by grinding up bits of the spring levers often found on small micro switches. didn't make any drawings though, it was a grind it and see job

Great stuff .Some good info there .I ordered some clock spring steel from the well known internet auction site of very nearly the correct thickness .

No joy with the clock spring , couldn't do the hardening and tempering .Wandering around in the barn looking for some spring steel came across a Lucas distributor off my MG Midget .The contact breaker spring was the correct thickness so cut it down and used that .Just pushed it through the gap and bent the ends up .Dressed the ends with a diamond needle file and the job's a good 'un .

No joy with the clock spring , couldn't do the hardening and tempering .Wandering around in the barn looking for some spring steel came across a Lucas distributor off my MG Midget .The contact breaker spring was the correct thickness so cut it down and used that .Just pushed it through the gap and bent the ends up .Dressed the ends with a diamond needle file and the job's a good 'un .
    Well done. Sounds like an ingenious fix.

Lakey

edbear2 Guest
    Proper bloke fix .well done that man!

ATB, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Proper bloke fix .well done that man!

ATB, Ed
    I think it was divine intervention !