Thread: Lube top of Round

Lube top of Round

We now have 18 grains BP 15 grains semolina 454 lead ball. I have a container with wonder lube 100 (smells great) Can I use this on top of the shot to seal against chain fire.
    Many years ago when I shot a ROA I mixed my own with Beeswax but forgot what I mixed it with and what proportion. All advice appreciated.
    Anschutz 1913. .22lr - Big Nikko. TX200.177 Mk3 Ultimate
    Taurus 357 LBR. Taurus .22 LBR BSA .22 RF Martini International Mk3.
    Marlin 357 original JM.

I’ve only recently got back into BP revolver shooting. I’m currently using home made lubricated wads instead on lube on top of the ball. I soak a 6mm felt with a melted 50/50 mixture of Beeswax and Crisco and punch wads from it when dry. I’m also using a 6mm dry wad between the powder and lubed wad so 12mm of wad in total. So far this has been a lot less messy than lube on top of the ball but there seemed to be minimal fouling and it was easy to clean. It also means not having to faff with lube on the firing point.

If you look back through many discussions here, I think you'll find that very few people believe in "chain fire past the balls". The general opinion seems to be that if you have the right diameter balls - and especially if a sliver of lead is shaved off as you press them in - then there is no way a spark or similar is going to get past the balls.
    I started shooting m/l revolver in the early 80s and gave up greasing the front in the early 90s. No problems so far!

I make wads using a 1/2" punch and an old Pilates mat! One mat makes many hundreds. Put them in a box and give a spray of lube. Powder - wad - ball. Works for me.

Do bear in mind that you will never find two or more BP shooters who agree on the correct way to load a gun

Steve

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sclg View Post
    If you look back through many discussions here, I think you'll find that very few people believe in "chain fire past the balls". The general opinion seems to be that if you have the right diameter balls - and especially if a sliver of lead is shaved off as you press them in - then there is no way a spark or similar is going to get past the balls.
    I started shooting m/l revolver in the early 80s and gave up greasing the front in the early 90s. No problems so far!

I make wads using a 1/2" punch and an old Pilates mat! One mat makes many hundreds. Put them in a box and give a spray of lube. Powder - wad - ball. Works for me.

Do bear in mind that you will never find two or more BP shooters who agree on the correct way to load a gun

Steve
    This guy certainly goes into detail!

http://www.geojohn.org/BlackPowder/bps3.html

ATB, ED