Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webley Mk3 values these days

edbear2 Guest

Webley Mk3 values these days

A friend will be giving me a Mk3 in .177 next week to possibly put up for sale, as I recall it was very tidy, shot well and is I thnk 1960's / 70's era. Obviously difficult without photos etc. but I am out of touch so a ballpark would be handy as he has a number in mind where he may hang onto it I think.

ATB, ED
    Last edited by edbear2; 17-09-2021 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    A friend will be giving me a Mk3 in .177 next week to possibly put up for sale, as I recall it was very tidy, shot well and is I thnk 1960's 70's era. Obviously difficult without photos etc. but I am out of touch so a ballpark would be handy as he has a number in mind where he may hang onto it I think.

ATB, ED
    Hi Ed

Not good news for MK3s or Airsporters.
    At our last few fairs the 'run of the mill' models fetched little or no interest. Shame really because they are nice things.

The good thing going for the mk3 you have is that it’s in .177 as the .177 seems to be the more sought after model I don’t know what it’s worth but good luck with it

Prices for everything seems to be dropping. Lockdown appeared to cause a buying frenzy and now it's over, many people have lost interest and some are just dumping. Not a good time to sell run of the mill stuff I'm afraid.

Average/run of the mill Mk.3's and Airsporters have no more value now than they did 30 years ago. However a mint early Supertarget or a mint boxed G series Airsporter is a different thing entirely, and probably have exceeded 'inflation' during that time. Supply and demand rules!

The .177 calibre will always attract a premium over the .22 because many fewer of the smaller calibre were manufactured by Webley (.22 being the calibre of choice for most sporting shooters) but in view of the above comments I would not like to put a value on it in the current climate!

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Hi Ed

Not good news for MK3s or Airsporters.
    At our last few fairs the 'run of the mill' models fetched little or no interest. Shame really because they are nice things.
    I wonder if some of that is down to the clientele, many of whom are established collectors and already have (nearly!) enough of both models.

Anyway, apart from rarity, condition is everything, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I wonder if some of that is down to the clientele, many of whom are established collectors and already have (nearly!) enough of both models.

Anyway, apart from rarity, condition is everything, of course.
    Good point that man....

Thumbs up

I just paid £300 for this one with a BSA Cadet Major thrown in!!

I'm over the moon to have it too!! (Both!!)

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Standard Mk3's seem to go for about £150. There are an awful lot around. I noticed a good number in the Acle auction and they seem to come up with great regularity on other auction sites. They are lovely things, but pretty naff as shooters tbh. Most bought for collectability and looks I think these days. Needs to be unusual to fetch a higher price.

Same with 'bog std' Webley pistols, once again their durability tells against them.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ogilkes View Post
    Standard Mk3's seem to go for about £150. There are an awful lot around. I noticed a good number in the Acle auction and they seem to come up with great regularity on other auction sites. They are lovely things, but pretty naff as shooters tbh. Most bought for collectability and looks I think these days. Needs to be unusual to fetch a higher price.

Same with 'bog std' Webley pistols, once again their durability tells against them.
    Can't agree with that bit, I have shot Supertargets and ordinary ones, that are smooth, quiet and tackdrivers...not powerhouses but there was a reason they were a go to Bell target rifle in their day, when the main opposition was the Airsporter Club.

As I recall my mates was very accurate, but did not like our league control pellet the AA Field.......Will do a test if I get it and post some photos.

As with prewar BSA's practise with the trigger is needed as heavier than a German jobby, but a good one breaks like glass (as does a BSA with work).

ATB, ED

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Can't agree with that bit, I have shot Supertargets and ordinary ones, that are smooth, quiet and tackdrivers...not powerhouses but there was a reason they were a go to Bell target rifle in their day, when the main opposition was the Airsporter Club.

As I recall my mates was very accurate, but did not like our league control pellet the AA Field.......Will do a test if I get it and post some photos.

As with prewar BSA's practise with the trigger is needed as heavier than a German jobby, but a good one breaks like glass (as does a BSA with work).

ATB, ED
    I agree Ed. The early 3rd series had the best triggers IMHO, which I prefer to the double pull as I find the latter spongy. The worst were the sintered units used ironically on the Supertarget. If anything, the Mark 3 was possibly oversprung and I have one that I keep meaning to fit with a lighter or cut down spring to make it shoot sweeter. I used an aperture sighted fluted stock model in the Muscle Power league a few years ago and was very pleased with her match performance.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Values

Having just watched the Holt's auction today the prices paid for MK3s will have to be reconsidered as the results could be considered to be spectacular.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by oldcurmudgeon View Post
    Having just watched the Holt's auction today the prices paid for MK3s will have to be reconsidered as the results could be considered to be spectacular.
    Spectacularly high or low?

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Very high