Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCP First purchase, new or second hand?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

PCP First purchase, new or second hand?

Hi Chaps,

I was wondering which would be the best way to enter the PCP shooting side of this hobby? I own over a dozen older style break barrel, side lever and under lever types but as I am not getting any younger a bolt action/side lever pre charge is starting to look very attractive!
    I would prefer a pistol grip stock on a rifle and a synthetic stock and have been looking at the Gamo packages out there for around £500.... is this the best way to start with a PCP? (pumping no problem as my bod still works OK thankfully). The rifle would be used at short ranges (25m or less possibly at rats etc).
    Is the second hand market a better bet?
    Also the Webley Nemesis X has had good reviews... but C02
    Whats your thoughts Guys? I am about to pull the trigger and it occurred to me that there is a lot of knowledge out there so I should ask.
    Thanks in advance.

Just thought I should ask what are the SMK PCP's like? The Artemis in .25....?

The Gamo packages seem ok and get decent reviews.
    Personally I’d steer away from CO2 rifles , but that’s just my opinion. Many like them .
    For your budget you should be able to pick up a 2nd hand Air arms S200/400 or BSA ultra and bottle .
    I know you can manage a pump , but trust me a bottle is much easier

Thanks Alakar, the C02 choice would be my last option. I will look at local second hand rifles.

I'd definitely be going down the secondhand route, tho with anything it's a gamble if somebody's been messing with it.

Personally I'd be looking for a s410, ultra, s200, s400, falcon raptor, super 10, artemis m16, even a few krals.
    Also imo, pumping a cylinder is easier than a 500cc bottle, tho if you top up after every time or a few mags, you don't spend half the day like a jack in the box. Let the pump cool, don't go balls out and do it in a oner

Have a gander in the for sale bit and see what comes up
    Super soaker 3000 (water), nerf fang (foam), noisy cricket (energy), m41a pulse rifle (10x24), Gat gun (.177)

Operating without any decent restraint - Nottm
    Nothing out there beats an S200. Easy to charge from a stirrup pump. 40 odd shots in .177 and 50 ish in .22

There is nothing more accurate than an S200 and at about 300 Quid used it's a no brainer. Bung on a bit of glass like an MTC Viper at £130, even a rifle costing 3 times as much wont be any more accurate.

No shit.....
    1st Battalion Humberside Cavalier Rescue Deserters on the cut

Plenty out there beats an S200, but it's personal viewpoints, for me it's physically far too small & far too light to be stable, frankly I hate them.

I'm confused as to you saying the pcp is attractive as you're not getting any younger, then follow it up with you can pump ok as the bod still works
    Pumping is a damn site harder than cocking a break barrel.

I had an Artemis M10 in .25 it was 90% perfect, looked good, felt good, nice balance, sweet trigger, miserly on air, the missing 10% was accuracy, couldn't hit a barn door.

If you want a .25 sub 12 look for a BSA Scorpion or Ultra, I've got the Scorpion .25 stunningly accurate with every (smooth) pellet I've tried including lead-free JSB's.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    Hi Chaps,

I was wondering which would be the best way to enter the PCP shooting side of this hobby? I own over a dozen older style break barrel, side lever and under lever types but as I am not getting any younger a bolt action/side lever pre charge is starting to look very attractive!
    I would prefer a pistol grip stock on a rifle and a synthetic stock and have been looking at the Gamo packages out there for around £500.... is this the best way to start with a PCP? (pumping no problem as my bod still works OK thankfully). The rifle would be used at short ranges (25m or less possibly at rats etc).
    Whats your thoughts Guys? I am about to pull the trigger and it occurred to me that there is a lot of knowledge out there so I should ask.
    Thanks in advance.

https://www.rangeandcountry.co.uk/gamo-gx40-6607-p.asp
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

S/H are too much generally now - the GX 40 as above is a great rifle, try finding a decent Ultra or Scorpion or AA200 for less than a new GX40
    I think the best budget buy (The GX400) - you can get spares and everything for them - can you for SMK yet - ?

Hi Chaps,

Thanks in advance.

Read my thread through on similar :

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-Gamo-or-NP-02

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    At your budget I'd be looking for something nicer second hand that rougher but newer

I'd avoid CO2, I'm sure I will upset some people when I say I regard them as for fun plinking and not dispatching vermin, even though I know they can do it, but it's the way I roll

Your distances are not high, so you don't need mega power or accuracy, and although I'm 100% a .177 kind of guy I'd potentially be looking at .22 for your intended use.

I'd definitely look at getting an air cylinder - your not getting any younger by the sounds of it, and making it easier for yourself is not a crime, in the long term you would probably get one eventually anyway

There are plenty of us fairly local to you, and there is an excellent outdoor shooting club at: http://www.airgunshooter.co.uk/page4.html - and a few of us are members there, so it's something to consider if you don't just want to shoot rats and fancy a bit of banter and a coffee

Above all, do what your doing now, ask for advice if your not 100% sure, and with a bit of care you will get a decent gun sorted

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

I'd recommend buy a decent checked out secondhand for 3 reasons. Its cheaper (to free your budget for other things such as a air tank), its already sorted/run in from little gremlins as a manufacturer's warranty in itself is not bug free, and importantly, as you are new to pcp, sometimes it takes a few ownership to really find a gun fitting your your needs.

Buying sensibly at secondhand prices means you can always sell it on for the same money with little to no loss. The reason why this is important is that all the gun recommendations are great but guns are very personally from how it looks, handle and feel. and work. What is accurate for one is not accurate enough for another. What is big for one is small for another.

I have 'treated' myself to a few new guns before and they nearly all have to go back. Yes there is the 'safety' of a warranty but that in itself will dent your confidence in the equipment.

Go down to your local club. Nearly all club members are most sociable and will be happy to let you have a go with their guns.

Thanks for this Guys, certainly a lot to think about that I had not considered before... especially buying second hand or even chinese which would indeed widen the possibilities.
    As for the club at Blackburn/Feniscowles I used to be a member many many years ago! It was a great easy going place run by a couple of old veterans though I think sadly now they are no longer with us. I am lucky in that I can plink away at home over 10 metres or 15 if I get the house to myself so have not looked at a club for a long time.
    Thanks again Guys, lots to think about here, may have a beer and peruse Macovoy guns second hand section! (no C02 and .22 I think!).

Thanks for this Guys, certainly a lot to think about that I had not considered before... especially buying second hand or even chinese which would indeed widen the possibilities.
    As for the club at Blackburn/Feniscowles I used to be a member many many years ago! It was a great easy going place run by a couple of old veterans though I think sadly now they are no longer with us. I am lucky in that I can plink away at home over 10 metres or 15 if I get the house to myself so have not looked at a club for a long time.
    Thanks again Guys, lots to think about here, may have a beer and peruse Macovoy guns second hand section! (no C02 and .22 I think!).
    Not exactly run by Veterans but Jack was a legend .
    If you are who I think you are , and we had a sadly departed mutual friend called Lee, then pop up to the club again sometime for a catch up .
    All the best
    Alan .

Hi Chaps,

Thanks in advance.

My Personal experience is similar to yourself - I used to be a springer man but switched to pcp last year - it’s been quite the ride!

SMK and Artemis - avoid like the plague if your interested in any form of accuracy/ consistency - they are great for plinking and fun shooting because of the cheap price tag but nothing serious or you’ll just end up getting frustrated. Also they can’t take much wear and tear either - more likely to breakdown. I’ve had an smk and an Artemis - got fed up of both as they weren’t delivering on accuracy or consistency over 30yds

You really only have two choices in that price range if you want quality - either the gammo guns or the Walther Rotex (both synthetic pistol grip)

Gammo - hugely popular and reliable - not top end finish for that price but amazing consistency - cold hammer forged barrel
    There’s a few different variants in that range so have a shop around - they mainly have different stocks - all synth - gx40/ phox/ coyote/ vernari

Walther - great consistency and quality - depends if you like the look with the larger bottle but that means more shots too!

Pump vs bottle - mainly effort every time vs effort and cost of refilling the bottle
    Alternative - there are some cheaper compressors you can get of Amazon for about 250 all set up so not much more and way less effort afterwards

Good luck!

If you're thinking about pcp, you are going to need compressed air. I would start looking as to where you can source this from. This is because an air tank is, by far, the easiest way to charge your rifle. The more you love to shoot your rifle, the more air it will need. So this leads to the question of what size ? A 7 or 12 litre bottle at 300bar is ideal. I've always thought that buying a brand new cylinder is like buying a brand new car. Peace of mind. Untouched by those who think and touched by those who know. When you have 5 years of use, the initial cost isn't that bad. After 5 years of use, retesting the bottle gives the feeling of a car passing its mot, and another 5 years of use.
    Now you've got the means of propulsion for your pcp, then it's time to buy the rifle.