Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCP First purchase, new or second hand?

PCP First purchase, new or second hand?

Hi Chaps,

I was wondering which would be the best way to enter the PCP shooting side of this hobby? I own over a dozen older style break barrel, side lever and under lever types but as I am not getting any younger a bolt action/side lever pre charge is starting to look very attractive!
    I would prefer a pistol grip stock on a rifle and a synthetic stock and have been looking at the Gamo packages out there for around £500.... is this the best way to start with a PCP? (pumping no problem as my bod still works OK thankfully). The rifle would be used at short ranges (25m or less possibly at rats etc).
    Is the second hand market a better bet?
    Also the Webley Nemesis X has had good reviews... but C02
    Whats your thoughts Guys? I am about to pull the trigger and it occurred to me that there is a lot of knowledge out there so I should ask.
    Thanks in advance.

Just thought I should ask what are the SMK PCP's like? The Artemis in .25....?

The Gamo packages seem ok and get decent reviews.
    Personally I’d steer away from CO2 rifles , but that’s just my opinion. Many like them .
    For your budget you should be able to pick up a 2nd hand Air arms S200/400 or BSA ultra and bottle .
    I know you can manage a pump , but trust me a bottle is much easier

Thanks Alakar, the C02 choice would be my last option. I will look at local second hand rifles.

I'd definitely be going down the secondhand route, tho with anything it's a gamble if somebody's been messing with it.

Personally I'd be looking for a s410, ultra, s200, s400, falcon raptor, super 10, artemis m16, even a few krals.
    Also imo, pumping a cylinder is easier than a 500cc bottle, tho if you top up after every time or a few mags, you don't spend half the day like a jack in the box. Let the pump cool, don't go balls out and do it in a oner

Have a gander in the for sale bit and see what comes up
    Super soaker 3000 (water), nerf fang (foam), noisy cricket (energy), m41a pulse rifle (10x24), Gat gun (.177)

Operating without any decent restraint - Nottm
    Nothing out there beats an S200. Easy to charge from a stirrup pump. 40 odd shots in .177 and 50 ish in .22

There is nothing more accurate than an S200 and at about 300 Quid used it's a no brainer. Bung on a bit of glass like an MTC Viper at £130, even a rifle costing 3 times as much wont be any more accurate.

No shit.....
    1st Battalion Humberside Cavalier Rescue Deserters on the cut

Plenty out there beats an S200, but it's personal viewpoints, for me it's physically far too small & far too light to be stable, frankly I hate them.

I'm confused as to you saying the pcp is attractive as you're not getting any younger, then follow it up with you can pump ok as the bod still works
    Pumping is a damn site harder than cocking a break barrel.

I had an Artemis M10 in .25 it was 90% perfect, looked good, felt good, nice balance, sweet trigger, miserly on air, the missing 10% was accuracy, couldn't hit a barn door.

If you want a .25 sub 12 look for a BSA Scorpion or Ultra, I've got the Scorpion .25 stunningly accurate with every (smooth) pellet I've tried including lead-free JSB's.

I wouldn't touch a BSA with a barge pole. The S400 series all day long as they are accurate, easy to work on yourself and there are so many bits out there to upgrade if you decide to.

There is also a reason why some have fitted s200 barrels to high end target rifles in the past.....the s200 has a very, very good barrel, but agreed, is a tad small and agricultural.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

there is some good second hand guns out there for the money you want to spend nice air arms 410

I like my CO2 rifle. You do have to learn the idiosyncrasies of CO2, that's where many people fall down.

If you go privately and try before you buy, buying second hand is no problem.

A reputable shop usually gives some form of warranty.

Always nice to buy new.

There is nothing out there I would shy away from. The rifle I found the best value for money is the Nova Vista.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Lots of good mentions already.
    Go and have a touchy feel of a few.
    Low mag light sucking in scope and a 3-4ltr 3oobar bottle.
    Im a .177 freak, but at short range and rats only It probably wont matter what calibre just a good deal on quality used rifle rather a cheap and nasty new one.
    People will whinge at that but a Gamo is not in same league as Air Arms, Daystate, Theoben etc.
    I would always but something that works and does the job really well, then you will enjoy the experience.
    VAYA CON DIOS

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    Hi Chaps,

I was wondering which would be the best way to enter the PCP shooting side of this hobby? I own over a dozen older style break barrel, side lever and under lever types but as I am not getting any younger a bolt action/side lever pre charge is starting to look very attractive!
    I would prefer a pistol grip stock on a rifle and a synthetic stock and have been looking at the Gamo packages out there for around £500.... is this the best way to start with a PCP? (pumping no problem as my bod still works OK thankfully). The rifle would be used at short ranges (25m or less possibly at rats etc).
    Whats your thoughts Guys? I am about to pull the trigger and it occurred to me that there is a lot of knowledge out there so I should ask.
    Thanks in advance.

https://www.rangeandcountry.co.uk/gamo-gx40-6607-p.asp
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

S/H are too much generally now - the GX 40 as above is a great rifle, try finding a decent Ultra or Scorpion or AA200 for less than a new GX40
    I think the best budget buy (The GX400) - you can get spares and everything for them - can you for SMK yet - ?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    secondhand, but keep it simple / tried and tested.
    S200, S400, Ultra, rapid, hatsan, kral, even some of the chinese stuff is all good value and easy/cheap to maintain if needed.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    Hi Chaps,

Thanks in advance.

Read my thread through on similar :

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-Gamo-or-NP-02

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    At your budget I'd be looking for something nicer second hand that rougher but newer

I'd avoid CO2, I'm sure I will upset some people when I say I regard them as for fun plinking and not dispatching vermin, even though I know they can do it, but it's the way I roll

Your distances are not high, so you don't need mega power or accuracy, and although I'm 100% a .177 kind of guy I'd potentially be looking at .22 for your intended use.

I'd definitely look at getting an air cylinder - your not getting any younger by the sounds of it, and making it easier for yourself is not a crime, in the long term you would probably get one eventually anyway

There are plenty of us fairly local to you, and there is an excellent outdoor shooting club at: http://www.airgunshooter.co.uk/page4.html - and a few of us are members there, so it's something to consider if you don't just want to shoot rats and fancy a bit of banter and a coffee

Above all, do what your doing now, ask for advice if your not 100% sure, and with a bit of care you will get a decent gun sorted

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired