Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is spring piston tuning stagnant

Quote Originally Posted by HW55T View Post
    I know it would only be classed as bushes or as we call them slip washers but one in front of top hat and behind the spring guide seems logical, I use penny washers for the rear guide, they come in a 1.5mm thick so will not work with thick based spring guides unless the base is reduced or the washer.
    Try it , keep the pre load the same and chroni before and after , let us know the results .

Tuning

If Mr Pope had launched his VM3 Rifle then we would have seen something special. Mach 1.5

[QUOTE=gsxrman;8071298]I dont think the word to use is stagnant but rather optimised.
    Just like a lot of aged technology i.e. the combustion engine, we are pretty much there.
    /QUOTE]

Summed up pretty nicely, sir.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by gsxrman View Post

Also, the gas ram design was very innovative, whether people liked them or not, they never changed much at all but could springless springer be the new kiddy.

!
    Yep, it was going to be the next, big thing. And much of the ideology made sense on so many levels. These days, with the level of "tunability" and refinement possible with a spring, the idea seems somewhat redundant? As Monsieur TinnyBum often used to say, "an answer to a question that didn't need answering".

But, maybe, there is mileage in pursuing variations of the air spring?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    Try it , keep the pre load the same and chroni before and after , let us know the results .
    Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    If Mr Pope had launched his VM3 Rifle then we would have seen something special. Mach 1.5
    Without doubt, Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    I've set up a few rifles with slip washers at each end of the power plant, I can't say it changes the way the rifle fires but on stripping the rifle down after some use, you can see that the spring has turned around during use and if the fit of the guide is tight, the guide will move around with the spring.

So on reflection it can be seen why the likes of Hw, TBT and V Mach who I think were the first to offer 2 piece rear spring guides, thought the need or opportunity for the spring and rear guide to turn together, adding a slip washer can only help this rotation.

Air guns are now made down to a price, so what is stagnant, spring design could be tweaked but at what cost ? A spring made from single billet sprung steel, multi strand CNC machined, tempered to perfection and made to fit spin bearings at each end, with no need for guides or just stay with what is known to work ?
    Hw77+7

Tin bum changed to two piece, after a conversation he and I had at the Springer bash trying to cure one of his customers guns that kept breaking guides the two piece allows for some movement at the rear resulting in less stress.