Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: why is the rapid 7 still so popular

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Yes you are right, shame about the looks they might be the second worst looking airgun in the world

WOW the Black Fox---I remember going the fishing shooting show in the NEC back in the 90s cant think what year --But had full intention in buying A Black Fox but the stand that had them wanted me to pay most of the money and then send it up to me I smelt a rat and walked away --funny how they never really got into the shops???

Quote Originally Posted by HW55T View Post
    Would you care to share what you think is the better buy now days

I plan to buy a multi shot pcp, as after going prone with a springer, it was no fun at all reloading from that position.
    Not really. It depends on WGAT FITS and what job/s you want it to d.

My next gun will be an FX Imact M3 Sniper as I want FAC switch barrel because I am gooung pro as soon as Inget my FAC back.

I generally like lighter rifles. I have great respect for sorted S200s except the trigger. The barrels tend to be excellent.

An FAC Leishy Mk2 perhaps as it folds and I can get it to site with no big bags.

My go to has always been a worked HW100. As an alrounder, its very hard to better

There isnt a perfect rifle. No such thing.

Its about fit, jobs and overall eliability.

Also, since last I was in the market, there are a lot more makes let alone models to choose from.

I do like a good fit and I especialky like a really good trigger (ex HFT/FT Shooter).

The 100s mag system is pretty bomb proof. The impact has a byddy bottle in carbon so light with big lungs and high capacity mags, switch barrels and variable power too.

Your requirements may be entirely different.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    My oldest has got the "sporter trigger" & I much prefer it to the mk4 fitted to the later models,
    I just can't get enough weight on the 2nd stage of the mk4 to feel it through my glove.
    Get finger tip gloves then so just expose your finger tip when required. I have a pair of Sealskinz with this feature

Amazing build quality (although near the end QC issues did arise), very clever timeless design, great barrels, functional, robust, reliable, easy to maintain and ultimately made by a couple of guys that had a passion fir airguns.

Rapid 7

I think everything has been said about them on here already. I've used one or two for years and still do. Prefer my MFR though. Just watch out for poor messed about with examples from some back garden tuners, otherwise you could end up with a pile of scrap ( and still worth a few quid mind) Wayne

yes i bought one years ago that had been badly tampered with

Plus point - very simple engineering and easy to work on.
    Minus point - very simple engineering and easy to work on.

Too many have been tampered with and badly.
    My Mk1 is over 20 years old and only been opened twice by Ben.

Arguably the most reliable real world PCP of all time, well built with no plastic breakable bits.
    My two original magazines are still working well today, BSA mags etc go back every other week.
    Superb balance, will just sit on my fist if placed just in front of the trigger, HW etc. would just fall off as too front heavy.
    Mine has a 350+ shot count in .177, which is still up there with the best of today.
    Will punch tiny holed groups as small as anything available today.
    Triggers yeah yeah, but can be sorted, Ben sorted mine and it is not far off my Ripley for feel and crispness.
    Looks are very personel, I generally think that the FX Impact, styer etc look like Prototypes that need finishing properly.
    My Rapid as it is probably cost a grand, how much would you have to spend today to better that.
    VAYA CON DIOS

It was asked what about nowadays that can keep up with a MFR - the truth is, lots (and it was quite rightly said it depends on what you want it to do). However people often say that a rapid is no more accurate than a modern day pcp.....but for me its the wrong way round. Modern day pcp's has had to live up to the accuracy of a rapid, so therefore modern day rifles are as accurate as something which has been about a couple of decades.

My favourite is the MFR - 150 ish shots, short (shortened barrel), light, well balanced and a great all rounder. I currently am lucky enough to have a FX Crown and a HW100 Buddy bottle conversion.....both lovely rifles and in their current forms has everything the rapid has, although in fairness you can change cals on the crown quicker than that on a rapid (but not as quick as my leishy).....but the HW100 you can't.

If push came to shove and I had to choose....it would be the MFR.....however I don't have to so can enjoy shooting all three of them.

I wish I still had both my MKI and MKII Rapids but at least I do still have my MFR. This one was modified by Ben T with his reg and a MKiv trigger. Leupy carried out the barrel work and it all went back into the Wilson stock. I recently had it fully serviced and it’s shoots wonderfully at 777 fps using JSB 8.44. Unfortunately due to a medical condition that may mean I might lose my AWC, my air weapons may have to be sold off but this is still ongoing with the Scottish Polis.

[/IMG]
    David.

Quote Originally Posted by DAR View Post
    I wish I still had both my MKI and MKII Rapids but at least I do still have my MFR. This one was modified by Ben T with his reg and a MKiv trigger. Leupy carried out the barrel work and it all went back into the Wilson stock. I recently had it fully serviced and it’s shoots wonderfully at 777 fps using JSB 8.44. Unfortunately due to a medical condition that may mean I might lose my AWC, my air weapons may have to be sold off but this is still ongoing with the Scottish Polis.

[/IMG]
    Thats a nice one...making me reconsider not wanting one again..lol.
    As for the previous post..my HFT 500 is the most accurate Pcp i have ever used .
    Second place goes jointly to my CZ200T and Leupy barelled .177 Rapid MK2...very good for a hunting gun.
    I really should have kept that one in its Gary Cane stock.
    it was a stunner...and kept my mint .177 SType..and my
    as new Mk 1..lol.
    As an afterthought...maybe the Rapid could have come joint number 1 if i had used it single shot and been more fussy what i fed it...like the JSB Exact 4.53 die 54's that i use today.
    Last edited by MrGreengrass; 27-09-2021 at 11:16 AM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I think the other big attraction is you can make it what you like.. if you want lighter and shorter, machining a barrel to fit is simples, and getting back the lost energy is easy. If you want shrouded, bolt on the MFR unit. If you want gazillions of shots, fit a bigger bottle (400/500/600) and a reg. If on the other hand so only want 150 shots, stick with 280cc or even 200 cc. If you want a .25 cal, it's only a 30 min job. single shot for HFT, mag for field (OK, many guns can manage that, but a good number are a PITA to single load).

So many options
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by gsxrman View Post
    Plus point - very simple engineering and easy to work on.
    Minus point - very simple engineering and easy to work on.

Too many have been tampered with and badly.
    My Mk1 is over 20 years old and only been opened twice by Ben.

Arguably the most reliable real world PCP of all time, well built with no plastic breakable bits.
    My two original magazines are still working well today, BSA mags etc go back every other week.
    Superb balance, will just sit on my fist if placed just in front of the trigger, HW etc. would just fall off as too front heavy.
    Mine has a 350+ shot count in .177, which is still up there with the best of today.
    Will punch tiny holed groups as small as anything available today.
    Triggers yeah yeah, but can be sorted, Ben sorted mine and it is not far off my Ripley for feel and crispness.
    Looks are very personel, I generally think that the FX Impact, styer etc look like Prototypes that need finishing properly.
    My Rapid as it is probably cost a grand, how much would you have to spend today to better that.
    I dont really care what it looks like IF it does what I need it to do.
    However, the FX Impact imho is much nicer looking than any Rapid - ecen my R17 in a Paul alWlson FT stock in toger stripe maple.

One thing I dont like about the rapid (other than the triggers) is the bolt action. I still hate ysing it especially if I have just shot my 100

I dont think rear or side bolts can touch a decent side lever. I can work my 100 fast and quiet without affecting my rested position.

I've had mine since 2011 and its never let me down. I've also owned an Air Arms S410, a Daystate Air Ranger and an Airwolf, my cousin worked for Daystate and had nearly everything they made including the Pulsar and an FX Impact Mk11, but my Rapid is just as quiet and accurate as all of the rest, in fact, the FX is decidedly clunky in comparison.
    A fella local to me brought his Rapid here with a leaky valve last week, he'd made the error of buying and fitting a PCP Airgun Parts valve and it wasn't as well balanced with the spring as they claim, first shot bent the stem. I got an old valve out of my tool box, lapped it with a spot of fine grinding paste followed by Autosol and gave it back to him leak free, all for the price of a few cans of beer.
    Simple? Absolutely. Up with the modern kids? No, still out stripping them!
    The Early Bird May Get The Worm, But It's The Second Mouse That Gets The Cheese !!

Owned a early MK2 anschutz model for many years for me they are still the best tool in the box they are reliable accurate and the trigger unit on this early MK11 model is awsom they are timeless
    One downside to buying rapids is most have been pi##ed about with, and most badly so buyers be carefull what you buy you could end up with a total dog, the one I have is as it left the factory and has only ever been serviced twice in nearly 20 years.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MbptLVtijDXUttKD9

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    I dont really care what it looks like IF it does what I need it to do.
    However, the FX Impact imho is much nicer looking than any Rapid - ecen my R17 in a Paul alWlson FT stock in toger stripe maple.

One thing I dont like about the rapid (other than the triggers) is the bolt action. I still hate ysing it especially if I have just shot my 100

I dont think rear or side bolts can touch a decent side lever. I can work my 100 fast and quiet without affecting my rested position.
    I

Behave man, look at the Rapids above, the Impact looks like a rat catcher on steroids.
    I can operate the bolt on mine fast with one finger, in fact I could do the silhouettes in under a minute.
    Could never put the score in as using a mag is not allowed which was a shame as I never missed many.
    was always better with the rapid than the Ripley at the sillies.

Still no one has given a genuine reason why a modern rifle is better.
    VAYA CON DIOS