Thread: Started my FTP custom stock build.

Started my FTP custom stock build.

As I only shoot bench rest I don't need the multi adjustability of the std stock plus I am a serial fettler and cant leave anything be, so I wanted something a bit lairy and more individual so bought myself a lump of Zombie green laminate and have now finished most of the inletting and once I have done the trigger aperture and accessory rail and then onto the shaping, I wanted something with a bit like my Kral also one of my stocks and a forend based on bench rest.

Last edited by Tricky-Ricky; 24-09-2021 at 06:25 PM.

Well done, wish I could make a stock. Atb mick

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I prefer the bottom one Very nice
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

A little more progress for those that are interested.

Looking good. I do like the colour.
    Just out of interest, with the ply, do you use a finger sander to get the rough shape or can it take a sharp chisel without 'flaking' if that makes sense? I've never tried anything with that material
    Super soaker 3000 (water), nerf fang (foam), noisy cricket (energy), m41a pulse rifle (10x24), Gat gun (.177)

Lovely work Tricky, nice to know there’s a stock genius just down the road from me!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmax View Post
    Lovely work Tricky, nice to know there’s a stock genius just down the road from me!
    Thanks, Andy, appreciate the comment,
    @Strimmer, I mostly use a grinder with a sanding disk for general shaping, and then for the harder parts wood rasp/files and to smooth fine files followed by lot of sanding by hand, you can use a chisel careful, but it will split off if caught at the wrong angle.

Captain Bongo is offline I'm not falling for this again........
    Excellent work! It's certainly coming along.

Lovely; well done.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky-Ricky View Post
    @Strimmer, I mostly use a grinder with a sanding disk for general shaping, and then for the harder parts wood rasp/files and to smooth fine files followed by lot of sanding by hand, you can use a chisel careful, but it will split off if caught at the wrong angle.
    We must catch up Tricky, I love my stock work but I limit it to hand cut chequering and refinishing, I leave the real pro stuff to guys like you and my mate Leighvite.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky-Ricky View Post
    👍 Thanks
    Super soaker 3000 (water), nerf fang (foam), noisy cricket (energy), m41a pulse rifle (10x24), Gat gun (.177)

Managed to get pretty much all the final shaping done and the rough sanding, fingers and wrists are killing me (arthritis) now it's lots of sanding and making the butt plate and palm rest and I should be able to try it when my wrists recover
    Think I'll call it the X wing design, as it's looks kind of like that from the front.

Finally, completed the stock, may not be to everyone's taste, but it's certainly different, and I am quite pleased with it.

Outstanding

I believe that you have done an outstanding job on producing a beautiful stock. I also have arthritis and can imagine how your hands must feel after a sanding session. What and how did you apply a finish to the stock? Tks

Quote Originally Posted by Travis299 View Post
    I believe that you have done an outstanding job on producing a beautiful stock. I also have arthritis and can imagine how your hands must feel after a sanding session. What and how did you apply a finish to the stock? Tks
    Thanks Travis, i use Danish oil applied with a sponge and then wipe of the exsess with a cloth, this can be repeated until you get the sheen you want.

Yeah i will spend the next few days with stiff fingers and electric shocks in my hands but its one of those things you have to get used to as you age.