Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walther LGR

Walther LGR

Just landed me a dream (at least to me) to go with my LGV’s, LGU’s, century’s, is the beautiful LGR target rifle! What a beauty soooo happy! Anyone else have one of these? Asking advise on maintenance tips/smiths as she looks very complex! Would like it serviced etc, running 4.5 ft pounds is this normal? I know under 6 is the normal for these but does this sound ok? Thanks guys

That sounds a touch on the low side. Have you tried a variety of pellets? How does it group?

Lgr

Honestly I do t know yet just chrono Tested it as yet using 7.0 grain wad cutters, I’ll try different pellets etc but not fired it in anger yet! I own only high power (12 ft pound) hunting rifles so am a new to this.
    Saying that I’ve always fancied some target shooting etc and being “Waltherfan” the choice was obvious for me lol.
    Beautiful thing though and 100 per want original, just conscious that this is out of my skill set (tuning) and wondered for tips or a smith familiar with them.

Thanks for the reply mind ….

I have one, I stripped and checked it a couple of days ago.
    They are super simple.
    Easy to strip, only 4 seals and 2 of them are in the breech.
    All the seals on mine were like new, it puts out about 4.6ftlbs.
    I'm waiting on some new breech seals though. I think They are sealing but not 100% sure.

It's daft accurate.
    Old German target rifles and even older BSA's

Oh, only thing that's a bit if a pain is the trigger.
    It's very nice to use but every time I take the trigger assembly out it plays up a little when I refit it. First time I had to 're adjust it. Second time I just loosened and 're tightened the 4 screws that hold it in and it's now perfect again. It's just very sensitive to being removed, even though it shouldn't really make any difference.
    I can't really figure out why it does this, but once it decides to work properly again it remains 100% reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Graemevw View Post
    I have one, I stripped and checked it a couple of days ago.
    They are super simple.
    Easy to strip, only 4 seals and 2 of them are in the breech.
    All the seals on mine were like new, it puts out about 4.6ftlbs.
    I'm waiting on some new breech seals though. I think They are sealing but not 100% sure.

It's daft accurate.
    Thanks for the reply! So 4.4 to 4.5 (mine) is nothing to worry about? In your opinion?.

Like I said give me an lgu I’ll rebuild and Tune in 30 mins! This is new fields for me.

Feeling happier also trying her at the range tomorrow, very excited!

I`m in the LGR club! Don`t mess with the oily bits, trigger is light as a feather, shot the other day at 10 metres, 4 bulls or touching then 5th shot missed by a centimetre, must have been a flyer.
    HW30STL .177, HW45 Blackstar .177, HW77 .177, LGV Challenger .177, BSA Airsporter S Mk1 .22. Original 65 .177, BSA Lightning GRT .177, HW99 .177.

I might add I literally picked this rifle up last night! It’s had 30 shots over the chrono with 4.4 to 4.5 spread over 30 so consistent. Fires beautifully but this is all new to me! Sorry if silly questions.
    Wanted one of these for years and finally got one, want it to be right.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Bullnose View Post
    I`m in the LGR club! Don`t mess with the oily bits, trigger is light as a feather, shot the other day at 10 metres, 4 bulls or touching then 5th shot missed by a centimetre, must have been a flyer.
    LGR club! Do tell me more please sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Waltherfan View Post
    Thanks for the reply! So 4.4 to 4.5 (mine) is nothing to worry about? In your opinion?.

Like I said give me an lgu I’ll rebuild and Tune in 30 mins! This is new fields for me.

Feeling happier also trying her at the range tomorrow, very excited!
    As long as it's consistent, no. I think walther said they made more when new, but I wouldn't be too concerned.
    Check the breech seals though.

Also, the barrel adjusts forward and back to set the pressure on the breech. It's the hex bolt under the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Graemevw View Post
    As long as it's consistent, no. I think walther said they made more when new, but I wouldn't be too concerned.
    Check the breech seals though.

Also, the barrel adjusts forward and back to set the pressure on the breech. It's the hex bolt under the barrel.
    Ok great thanks! I’ll check that out also.
    These are beautiful things aren’t they! I’m blown away with the quality and firing cycle! Quality quality quality!

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Waltherfan View Post
    Ok great thanks! I’ll check that out also.
    These are beautiful things aren’t they! I’m blown away with the quality and firing cycle! Quality quality quality!

Regards
    Yes, I've only had mine a week and I'm very taken with it.
    It was low powered when I got it as someone had put the piston in upside down, ment it only cocked half as far as it should!
    I was a little apprehensive about stripping it as I've heard they are complicated, but it really is very simple really.

I'm an LGR fan too. It was one of the first rifles I took apart (a bit over a year ago - I've done a few others since) as my valve seal had failed, and I found it much simpler than I expected - though I left the trigger alone. Before that I'd been getting a bit over 3 ft lbs, but pretty good accuracy. After changing the seals, when last chrono-ed I'm getting 5 and a bit ft lbs with Hobbys and 5.8 with H&N Match Heavy, which is a smidge hotter than a 7.5 J match rifle should be, but it may settle down. The standard deviation is 0.4 so it's pretty consistent. The range I shoot at is 25 yards, and I find the dioptre sights a bit of a challenge, but with the right target and rested (or do I mean supported?) it gives an impressively tight group (5 shots - 1 ragged hole). So while there's no urgency I'd think it would be worth your changing the seals.
    Last edited by Mr Pusk; 09-01-2022 at 08:20 AM.

Congratulations Mr Waltherfan.

It's obvious that you're still buzzing from this acquisition and I'm sure it will deliver many years of precision, high quality shooting experiences and top level pride of ownership.

Enjoy.

Congratulations also to all you other owners.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Great find mate saw you with it today lovely looking gun