Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
ah yes that is the thing, a penumatic shutter release. A worthy adaptation for those who have lost fingers to the frostbit or chainsawbit. Excellent! Is 'clinical' hunting done in abandoned hospitals? Big Sue the raggedy man from the drain end of the estate used to do that in the 70s with a Meteor and open sights, but no-one would risk eating one of those pidgins for their dinner.

It might be worth an experiment trying to make a springer with the MOST recoil and see if it is possible to tame it with technique. There are some natural contenders like the BSF B55 in a standard stock, but something with a super stiff spring, heavy, weighted piston and an oversize transfer port would be interesting. It would be naturally inefficient, so why not add a small nick in the piston seal - or an undersize seal could be used - to accentuate slam. I think using volatile lubricants might end one in trouble with the law, and combustion recoil is cheating really as it is drifting the airgun into the realm of the firegun.

Scrapyard challenge anyone?
That would be super harsh but not necessarily the most "recoil" movement. In fact I don't need that experiment, I've owned a Theoben Sirocco in .177! Best hung on the wall really; beautifully made but 'orrible thing to shoot.

To maximise surge, which is the movement which is most offputting and conducive to hold sensitivity, surely you'd want a really wide cylinder, heavy piston but undersize transfer port, and a soft spring with little preload.