Thread: Instead of Valuation Threads

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Instead of Valuation Threads

Which seem to continually be in danger of falling foul of the rule on the thing turning into an auction, if not in the PMs then via email which is not within the scope of the BBS administrators, could a Valuation Protocol be made up as a sticky?

This would have something like 'do a search on the BBS and see what the item has sold for in the past, look at gunstar and guntrader and the rest of the net etc' then advise to advertise at a high but downwardly negotiable price.

In the end you'll find out what the thing's value is when you sell it, or don't sell it.

Or something. I am sure one of the many business-minded types on here could make one up (those that speak of 'price-points' and 'margins' and so on).

OK I put on tin hat and hide now.

Sounds a good idea,but I have noticed often that sellers either delete the price once sold or delete the thread. I have found that prices on the whole are more realistic & honest on forums.

Interesting idea but I am not sure it would be of lasting value.

'advise to advertise at a high but downwardly negotiable price.' Would this not simply invite inflated prices?

'Do a search on the BBS'... good but the sale price is rarely disclosed and the asking price is usually deleted when the SOLD notice goes up.

Maybe a note that s/h shop prices are usually higher than the s/h private sales?? But that is still open to abuse.

Bit of a minefield isn't it?

Cheers, Phil

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Never really understood valuation threads.

You know how much you paid for it new or second hand.

You know how much you would be happy getting back for it.

You know how much you wouldn't accept for it.
    Master Debater

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

While you raise valid points I think we have to accept that many would be sellers are not scanning sales threads all the time so are genuinely unaware of current prices, particularly for older or uncommon airguns. The oft quoted 2/3 of what you paid for it when considering a fairly new gun is not much use when it comes to say, 20 year old airguns. To put it in daft perspective, if you know that your 80 year old rifle was bought for £8, would you advertise it at £6? Of course not but realistically a newcomer wishing to sell a rifle that old may well require guidance of the current market.
    Thinking a bit more about it, there should be a check list of information: Make, model, age, calibre, stock material, condition (please not 'mint'). Any modifications? Any accessories included e.g. moderator, sling, swivels, scope, bag, pellets? Willing to post?

Cheers, Phil

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

You know how much you paid for it new or second hand.

You know how much you would be happy getting back for it.

You know how much you wouldn't accept for it.
    FOMO...

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    To be honest I feel like I have never seen a true valuation thread.

e.g. I have found my old Grandads gun in the attic.

It always feels like I think I have bought this gun cheap off someone who didn't know how much its worth, can I make a profit on it.
    Master Debater

I love valuation threads.. quite often, its someone who has something they know nothing about, or are shifting it for someone else. They quite often turn into interesting threads with loads of cool info on specific brands, models, etc.. like the Sussex sabo thread recently.. I cant remember now if that was a valuation thread or not?
    Donald

i like to read the valuation threads

Why complicate matters. Cant the advertised price be locked. In the case the seller wants to put sold this will just be added to the add below the price. Although you will never know the true price if a offer is accepted via pm's.

I find valuation threads very useful as it keeps you in touch with rifle values and when your looking at buying a rifle they give you some good information so that you don’t overpay. Also when friends are looking for a rifle you can help them with what sort of price they will have to pay for the rifles they want. I find any information that comes on the thread as well very interesting and I’m always learning new things about all different rifles which in the future I can then pass onto people so the history is not lost

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    OK lets's keep them. I'm not sure of the value of this thread now, any offers?

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    I think we should keep them, and as an air gun web site forum, we are part of the "value" that adds to the information available for people to find prices - lets face it , some of the prices on the likes of Gunstar are literally a joke

I would like to see the prices stay on the forum though, as many people delete the price/ad, they should be fixed so they cannot be deleted so they can be used as a reference for people in the future.
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    I think we should keep them, and as an air gun web site forum, we are part of the "value" that adds to the information available for people to find prices - lets face it , some of the prices on the likes of Gunstar are literally a joke

I would like to see the prices stay on the forum though, as many people delete the price/ad, they should be fixed so they cannot be deleted so they can be used as a reference for people in the future.
    I agree. I said the same earlier

Exactly

Why I have just joined. I have a pre war Junior that belonged to my uncle, then my older brother. For practical reasons I am tinkering with a Crosman 2240/50, and would like some pocket money funds to pay for the bits. Then I remembered the Junior, up in the attic with the last of his treasured bits and pieces. So there you go. When I get home after Christmas, I will get it down and be back on here.