Thread: Air Arms Combat / Firepower chat :)

Air Arms Combat / Firepower chat :)

Hi !
    OK so I have had an AA Combat for some time in my collection, I got it, it "twanged" a lot, did the usual stock fill and gave it a good proper lube.
    Result it fired a LOT better (the action felt more solid and less twangy on firing)

NOW here is my current issue, I bought one on here recently and it is great !! (AA Firepower) BUT so so much better than my Combat ???
    None of the famaous twang, well not compared to my Combat ??

Asked prev owner of Firpower if any work done, no not really was answer and can not see any real signs other than standard, have not stripped it yet.

Only difference I can see if through the cocking slot I can see one more coil showing on the Firepower compared to the combat ?

The firepower is shooting 11.5fp the Combat 8fp
    New piston washer on combat and a proper lube make no real difference ??

SO weak spring in combat ? BUT would that make it twang less
    I am confused

I have ordered a MS012Standard Mainspring from chambers and any specific AA sidelever advice ?? preload coils ?
    I am amazed how well the fire powers action works in comparison ??

Hope some fans of these can help
    john

The high power & firepower models are bit more powerful due to the longer 15” barrels & on the combat its only 8”. The SA parabellum has the longest barrel at 18” & the muzzle velocity can go up to 780fps in .177

first advert in Airgun World magazine was in the March 1982 issue and offered “The Firepowers”, “The Hi-Powers” & “The Sporters” in .22 calibre. The Sporters were the budget rifles, being single shot and having no sights.​
    sussex armoury ads

m

They were made in .177 , .22 and the very rare .20

Air Arms were quick to make improvements that they had identified whilst producing the rifles for Sussex Armoury
    The twang noise was reduced with the introduction of a nylon sleeve and pad to the spring assembly, improved trigger
    quietened cocking by adding another pin to the safety catch ratchet and an O ring to the trigger block

The futuristic appearance of the Jackal was used in the iconic 1977 film Star Wars, Darth Vader’s Imperial Storm Troopers were armed with ‘blasters’ which were made from stock parts of Sussex Armoury Jackal air rifles.
    Last edited by Lee5159; 07-10-2021 at 01:43 PM.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    it might have been my old one

I change the spring for one that fits properly on the fixed guide - transforms the gun. inevitably this will be a smller spring, so add a beer can piston sleeve to take up the slack, and quieten it even further. Some folks have sleaved the rear guide up as an alternative, but I have a big box of springs
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Thanks Shed Tuner ! Lots of nice ephemera
    I put the standard new spring in and did have on your advice sleeved the spring guide, works a treat no twang !! way better than maccari tar

Power is still a fair bit more down than I would have thought the barrel would have caused, but can see no other reason till I strip the lond fella and compare

But that sleeve works beter than any other mod for sure