Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rifles from New with Notorious Factory faults :

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty nutz View Post
    Always surprised me that fella BSA got to help designe the rifle is considered the bloke to fix the problems he helped to create.
    yeah, I'm sure the bean counters diluted down the designs figuring most users weren't that fussy..
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    yeah, I'm sure the bean counters diluted down the designs figuring most users weren't that fussy..
    And because they cut corners to try and save money

Quote Originally Posted by ZAKDINGEL View Post
    And because they cut corners to try and save money
    I’m massively on JB’s side on this, but there are many examples of companies taking a design through the production engineering process and getting stuff wrong.

It’s not just cost-cutting. Translating a great hand-made or tool-room design into mass production is hard, and mistakes are made unintentionally.

The AR15/M16 in the sixties is a classic example. The original Armalite AR15 was excellent. The US army wanted some seemingly minor changes to improve it, better to meet the army requirements. Colt was contracted to make it in mass production. The “minor” changes made it awful. No-one involved intended to create a bad weapon, or to cut costs.

Win m70

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I’m massively on JB’s side on this, but there are many examples of companies taking a design through the production engineering process and getting stuff wrong.

It’s not just cost-cutting. Translating a great hand-made or tool-room design into mass production is hard, and mistakes are made unintentionally.

The AR15/M16 in the sixties is a classic example. The original Armalite AR15 was excellent. The US army wanted some seemingly minor changes to improve it, better to meet the army requirements. Colt was contracted to make it in mass production. The “minor” changes made it awful. No-one involved intended to create a bad weapon, or to cut costs.
    Winchester did the same thing to the famed M70 back in 64. (Rifleman's Rifle) Now however with CNC machines & improvements the new M70s are excellent rifles IMHO.

Yes the orginal Colt M16’s - I’m not massively familiar with the design but think it was weak hammer spring or return spring that lead to so many jams / non fires, it was explained to me once by someone more up on it, but could we possibly keep it to bad factory air rifles ?

Not particularly about the designers either - it’s about what a manufacturer sells as new and fit for purpose that has a ‘notorious’ from new fault - I don’t know what it’s like in TV’s or Vacumn cleaners but I’ve long suspected that air rifles have more than their share of poor models sold compared to other industries -
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34