Thread: Brumbow dilemma

Brumbow dilemma

I currently own two Brumbows, in .177 and .22. I'm interested to know what are owners or past owners thoughts on which calibre is more suited to the rifle.

Which calibre do/did you prefer for your Longbow? Is one more collectable than the other?

If I had to keep only one I'm unsure which one I'd keep. I'm predominantly a .177 shooter however I think the Longbow is more suited to .22

Has same internal sweep as a Vulcan Excel etc - imo ideal for 22 in uk power, a bit crap for 177

sell your 177
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Nearly every, if not all springers are nicer to shoot in .22.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Longbow

The .177 is harder to come by and IMO the .22 shoots much better.

They can be tamed by longstroking and theres a thread by topdog somewhere describing in detail the ins and outs.

I have both calibres and I've noticed the forward part of the cocking slot on the .177 sits slightly further forward than on the .22 which appears to me to reduce the capacity for a longer stroke. The cocking lever is also slightly shorter than the .22.

Keep both
    Always on the look out for Brum / Venom - Webley Longbow / Tommie rifles and parts.

I have details on how to long stroke the .177, and it's something I had thought about doing, but is it worth the effort?

Trouble is I have a TX and building a HW80, both .177, which I think are more suited to the smaller calibre than the Longbow. I'm not really a collector so having the .177 just sitting in the cabinet, not so sure.

I have 2 Brumbows in .22 cal and think they are ideal in that cal.
    The.177 brumbow would probably move a bit more ,but not enough to put me off.
    I would keep it if I was you,or sell it to someone who will give it a good home (ME) .
    Les..

Quote Originally Posted by Brew Up View Post
    I have details on how to long stroke the .177, and it's something I had thought about doing, but is it worth the effort?

Trouble is I have a TX and building a HW80, both .177, which I think are more suited to the smaller calibre than the Longbow. I'm not really a collector so having the .177 just sitting in the cabinet, not so sure.

Sell it as is, or tune / longstroke and thus reduce it's worth / selling price
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Only one I’ve had is in .22” and it’s very sweet.

I have, though, a general preference for older sporting springers, especially break-barrels, in .22”. Not a calibre choice argument, or even a shot cycle one, more that they just feel “right” in a sort of early 1980s way.

Maybe I'll try to sell the .177, if I get what I want for it then it can go I guess, better that than languishing in the cabinet.

I've always wanted a Longbow since they first came out but I only need one to scratch the itch.

ive had bothe cals the 177 was no where as good as the 22 hence i sold it on

Longbow

VMach did a long stroke conversion which made the .177 shoot nice. I have all 3 versions. 177 .20 and .22. I'll go for the .20 cal as my favourite. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    VMach did a long stroke conversion which made the .177 shoot nice. I have all 3 versions. 177 .20 and .22. I'll go for the .20 cal as my favourite. Mach 1.5
    That's just showing off Paul!

Sounds like my .177 is going to a good home. I'll miss it, the stock is nicer condition than the one on my .22 but it goes with the .177 so I resisted the temptation to swap them. I'll refinish the stock on the .22, I'm not so precious of that one.

I hope you enjoy it Les, I think it's a cracker!

Quote Originally Posted by Brew Up View Post
    Sounds like my .177 is going to a good home. I'll miss it, the stock is nicer condition than the one on my .22 but it goes with the .177 so I resisted the temptation to swap them. I'll refinish the stock on the .22, I'm not so precious of that one.

I hope you enjoy it Les, I think it's a cracker!
    Hi Brew up
    I am well pleased to be the new owner of a lovely condition Brumbow.
    It will be well looked after and complement my other prized Webley’s.
    Thanks again for a great deal.
    Atb
    Les..