Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old oil in bsa breakdown stock.... Removal advice please

Old oil in bsa breakdown stock.... Removal advice please

I'm renovating an old BSA Breakdown model but the front of the stock almost half way to the pistol grip has years worth of oil grease etc well soaked into it and I'm not too sure about the best method of getting rid of this. I'm reluctant to soak in Acetone as I've been told this could dry out the stock too much and leave it liable to cracking so I'm stuck really. I've seen on YouTube guys heating the stock with a heat gun etc but I would value advice from you experts on here before I do something and cause irreversible damage....Thanks.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Hi
    I used a hair dryer and lots of kitchen roll
    Then sweated it out over a couple of days
    Letting it cool down seems to help get the oil to the surface
    Think a paint stripper would be too much
    Cheers ian

I have had a good result with hot water and normal clothes washing powder, dipping the area in the solution and wiping it with a rag many times but obviously this won't work with any lacquer or varnish over the area.Dont let the wet wood dry in heat.

Lewis Potter in his book on general gunsmithing recommends immersing the oil sodden end of the stock in petrol for a few hours.
    Take it out and let it dry. Repeat as necessary. I have done this myself with a cut off plastic lemonade bottle half full of petrol.
    It works very well , even after one treatment. It can be completed in a single day
    Just do it outside well away from anything important.
    When done give it a good scrub with soapy water and let dry. Lightly sand it and give it some coats of Truoil.
    Best not re-use the petrol in your motor mower afterwards !
    Pete

Oil

Soak affected area in Acetone.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Dunkley View Post
    Soak affected area in Acetone.
    Peter, I started to soak the front of the stock in Acetone but it almost immediately went white so I panicked, I thought I would be left with the stock in two shades so I let it dry then carefully rubbed it down to get the whole stock all the same colour again. ? Won't Acetone leave the stock too dry and liable to crack ?
    Last edited by vbull; 13-10-2021 at 11:01 AM.

Acetone

Yep unfortunately Acetone does leave a tide mark but it does remove the oil which is the object of the exercise. Refinishing the stock comes later. As for cracking I assume you are going to refinish the stock with "proper" oil. If you are after a magic potion which will remove oil but leave the stock finish unmarked I fear I cant help you.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Dunkley View Post
    Yep unfortunately Acetone does leave a tide mark but it does remove the oil which is the object of the exercise. Refinishing the stock comes later. As for cracking I assume you are going to refinish the stock with "proper" oil. If you are after a magic potion which will remove oil but leave the stock finish unmarked I fear I cant help you.
    Thanks Pete …

Just thought I'd give an update and at the same time ask if anyone has any new ideas. I opted for what I thought would be the easy way to do this and soaked the front of this BSA Breakdown stock for 24hrs in Acetone. One or two BBS members advised me not to soak in Acetone but anyway..... pulled it out, washed and dried it but apart from the chemical leaving a tide mark, which was quite easily removed, the Acetone made little difference, perhaps a shade or two but not much so I then decided to gently sweat it out with a heat gun and the oil just kept coming and coming to the surface in minute amounts which I wiped off with bog paper, but it's a bit like pulling teeth and life is too short.. I've spent hours today doing this and still need to spend many many more hours with this method. As you can see, I've attached some pictures showing the problem, any new ideas or suggestions very welcome. Incidentally, the Acetone was good stuff rated at 99%..

https://flic.kr/p/2mB7p9o
    https://flic.kr/p/2mB58NM
    https://flic.kr/p/2mB423Y
    https://flic.kr/p/2mB58Yg
    https://flic.kr/p/2mAYN8o
    https://flic.kr/p/2mAYNcb

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Your pictures look like the problem might be iron (rust) staining, rather than oil, in which case neither acetone or any other solvent will shift it. Iron stains can be removed by treating with oxalic acid solution. Alternatively, you can get something call "bar keepers friend" off the Bay which is claimed to shift iron and other stains from wood.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Your pictures look like the problem might be iron (rust) staining, rather than oil, in which case neither acetone or any other solvent will shift it. Iron stains can be removed by treating with oxalic acid solution. Alternatively, you can get something call "bar keepers friend" off the Bay which is claimed to shift iron and other stains from wood.
    I’m guessing caused by rust but if the wood has not been in contact with rust what would cause it ? With respect I don’t think it’s staining because when heated I can clearly see a thin layer of oil form on top of the marks which I’ve been soaking up with tissue.
    Last edited by vbull; 15-10-2021 at 11:53 PM.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    I’m guessing caused by rust but if the wood has not been in contact with rust what would cause it ? With respect I don’t think it’s staining because when heated I can clearly see a thin layer of oil form on top of the marks which I’ve been soaking up with tissue.
    Looks like a normal result of a bit careless wiping of oil on the action with an oil yrag, and the rag has just gone onto the wood, or ..maybe leached out of the chamber / triggerguard area as the gun has stood upright and soaked in. I would say the former as so even.

ATB, Ed

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    You don't have to have rust in direct contact with the wood to cause stainng, and moisture can carry traces of iron some distance into wood and stonework. You might have seen where iron railings are bedded into stonework, and over time a dark stain down the stone appears.

Thanks for the suggestions...

Thumbs up

I used Oxalic acid crystals dissolved in warm water and applied to the spot with soaked cottonwool, Can also be mixed to a bath and soaked if the staining is particularly bad, It removes old dried oil a treat!!

The crystals can be had off fleabay too

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/