Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enlighten me please

Enlighten me please

WTF is this all about? Just been given this .177 barrel and have no idea what it is from or it's purpose?

Yikes…
    Looks like maybe someone was trying to fashion an early M16 style muzzle brake?

What rifle is it from?

Matt.

Yes looks like a try at copying the early AR15/M16 flash suppressor .

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Yikes…
    Looks like maybe someone was trying to fashion an early M16 style muzzle brake?

What rifle is it from?

Matt.
    No idea what rifle it is from

Does this help?

Similar to a HW35 but the breech block isn't just quite right...maybe a HW35 Barakuda....that would explain the attempt at making the flash suppressor ??? The gun used a charge of ether from a separate tube alongside the maintube that boosted the velocity of the pellets.!
    Known as the Barakuda EL54, the ether ignited giving velocities over 1,000 fps, but it had the effect of blowing the lead pellets apart in the barrel...so they started using steel ball shot....petty dangerous I guess in an air rifle maintube and barrel ?.....that's my best guess anyway.Rgds C
    Last edited by rapidshot; 12-10-2021 at 07:41 PM.

Its a Round Tuit.

Ive been meaning to get one for years.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Is it what happens when the old brass screw and toothpaste diy muzzle re-crowning trick goes a bit wrong?
    Morally flawed

Could the rifle have been fired at high velocity with the barrel blocked, causing the end of it to split like that?

I'm a little confused Peter. You state it's a .177 and yet the label on the bottom barrel in your picture states it's a .22? ( top barrel appears to be a Webley MkII) Which calibre is it, or could it be something slightly different? have you tried a pellet in it?

My mistake on the calibre, it is a .22

There is no sign that this was a mod, the bluing looks original. I don't think this is damage caused by over power. I feel it was purpose done.

Rapidshot's idea seems the best possibility to me so far, I do remember seeing gas converted (home made) projects turning up at Bisley many years ago.

Unfortunately this was part of a deceased estate and there is no one to ask.

I wondered if could have shot some form of spread shot, but clutching at straws.....

Angrybear on here suggested it may be for dispatching trapped vermin....

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Angrybear on here suggested it may be for dispatching trapped vermin....
    On the other hand, I have something like that for getting up dandelion roots.

Is it a bog standard B2 barrel?...or a novelty poker...

It's not someones very lame attempt at one of those things the police/army stick on the end of a shotgun barrel for digging in and blasting the hinges off of a door to gain entry?...

...or a mock up model of the space ship from that James Bond movie? (can't remember which one it is though...and it's not a serious suggestion so who cares? )

Nah...I'm going with novelty fire iron.
    blah blah

edbear2 Guest
    Whatever it is, it's a serious bit of swaging / forming / upsetting that has been tooled up for, 100% not a home done job or accident I would personally say , just strange that no-one on here has any knowledge of what it is, maybe try some other forums as well?

Thr initial diameter of the end bit looks larger than the barrel diameter, so the blank would not have been just a straight tube from the photos.

It would be anti-slip and also allow air to escape sideways, so the humane dispatch idea makes sense too.

I have had old Accles "cash" dispatch guns where the end is serrated for grip, nothing like this, but the same function in effect I would imagine.

Any chance of some bigger / clearer pics Pete please?.......especially of what look like splits in the splayed parts.

ATB, ED
    Last edited by edbear2; 13-10-2021 at 07:29 PM.