Thread: Original 65 repair advice please

Original 65 repair advice please

I picked up a nice Original 65 yesterday but it is not cocking.
    I've not had a giss rifle apart yet, so I'm wondering whether this is a trigger adjustment problem, a seal problem, or something else?
    My bet is a perished seal set as it looks like it's never been opened and it was made in 1972.

I've also got a 75 here that needs resealed as well, so I better get on this learning curve sooner rather than later!!

On a side note, I'm looking for a diana rear sight and a butt pad please.
    Donald

Some info sent to you.
    Cheers, Phil

Thanks Phil... received!
    Donald

Hi Donald

There was a three page article in Airgunner by Neil Price on resealing Graeme's Giss if you could find that ?

All the best Mick

I'm going to have a look for that
    .. Graeme has told me about. Phil, yourself and a couple others have also mentioned it... definitely grounds for a pdf in a sticky!
    Donald

All these years I thought he was Graeme Gass, not Graeme Giss

That’s right Bill, but since I changed from using CO2 guns to recoilless springers…hence the name change! 🥴☺️

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Hi Donald

There was a three page article in Airgunner by Neil Price on resealing Graeme's Giss if you could find that ?

All the best Mick
    If I remember correctly Mick, it was run in three consecutive issues of Airgunner magazine as it was the longest strip/rebuild feature that I ever covered for the magazine.

Neil
    Current airguns:- Steyr LG110: Steyr LP10: Air Arms HFT500: Weihrauch97 fully customised.

Quote Originally Posted by u.k.neil View Post
    If I remember correctly Mick, it was run in three consecutive issues of Airgunner magazine as it was the longest strip/rebuild feature that I ever covered for the magazine.

Neil

Hi Neil,

Yes, you do remember correctly, I wrote that it was a three page article when I meant to write that it was a three piece article. --- my bad.

I should really have got that right as I introduced Graeme to you.

All the best Mick

Thanks to Ian I'm now sorted for a rear sight... there is one other item I need which may be like hens teeth - a red pachymer butt pad for said Original 65? I'd even settle for s black rubber one.

Also thanks to Phil for the files.. I'm not sure I fully understand the trigger mechanism strictly from ready the manuals, but I'm certain my cocking problem has something to do with that now. I'll need a quiet afternoon on the kitchen table with the rifle and I'm sure I can sort it.
    Donald

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    Good luck with the trigger mech, I bought a 75 four months or so ago (fortunately cheap) & it turned out to have been resealed, unfortunately some had managed to jam it cocked (bear trap mech) & trigger parts were damaged. Got it apart ok but new mainspring set required, neither Chambers or John Knibbs has springs & unknown when they will get them in. Trigger parts are now listed as obsolete & unobtainable.
    So it looks like i have no option but to break it.

Quote Originally Posted by keith66 View Post
    Good luck with the trigger mech, I bought a 75 four months or so ago (fortunately cheap) & it turned out to have been resealed, unfortunately some had managed to jam it cocked (bear trap mech) & trigger parts were damaged. Got it apart ok but new mainspring set required, neither Chambers or John Knibbs has springs & unknown when they will get them in. Trigger parts are now listed as obsolete & unobtainable.
    So it looks like i have no option but to break it.
    That sucks... have you tried waffen centre gotha? That's where I got my spring and seal kit before. They have a lot of parts available.. if you do decide to break it though.. dibs on the seals! The only place I'm seeing them just now is Maccari
    Donald

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    Just looked on their site, mainspring set available one trigger part also but the other one isnt listed. If i cant fix or make it myself its a non starter. Be a shame to write it off as its in bloody good nick otherwise. Bloke who owned it was a ham fisted sod! I got it off his estate last year.
    Think i will ping them an email & see what they say.

Well, I had a wee tinker with the 65 this afternoon... nothing much, just a poke about to see if I could figure out what's going on.
    I'm trying to understand the trigger mechanism and how it bears on the piston - I'm not quite there yet!
    I've figured out the trigger adjustments in terms of weight and travel, 1st and 2nd stage. I've still not managed to make the rifle cock. It feels as though it should engage, but it doesnt quite make it. The barrel swings through its frull span and stops, and a few degrees back from this I can feel the seat engaging the piston (if that's what happens) but it wont grab on.. I think it will need a full strip down to see what the problem is.
    I've also noticed the screw from the end cap is missing. As well as the two front stock screws. There is also some serious looking falling Mark's on the left side of the barrel block, so I'll need to check for washers there.

Overall today was a small learning experience with no further movement in getting the rifle shooting.
    Donald