Thread: How often should you grease a break barrel detent

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

How often should you grease a break barrel detent

Even though I have polished the detent and it feels nice and smooth after greasing it don't really last that long, it's still ok but was wondering how often to grease the detent was recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Even though I have polished the detent and it feels nice and smooth after greasing it don't really last that long, it's still ok but was wondering how often to grease the detent was recommended.
    I don't use grease. Moly paste is much better and lasts for years if the latch and detent are well cleaned up first.

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    I don't use grease. Moly paste is much better and lasts for years if the latch and detent are well cleaned up first.
    Years! that's amazing if it works I thought Bum slide was OK for the detent.

Bumslide is Moly paste among some other ingredients.

Quote.

TbT ‘Bum-Slide

After months of testing many different combinations of ingredients, Tinbum Tuning are finally producing our own High Quality Molybdenum Disulphite paste. The ultra high Molybdenum content of new ‘Bum-Slide gives unrivalled lubrication for moving parts, while the low oxygen Lithium Based Carrier ensures no reaction in the rifles action leading to moisture or rust.

I bet if you google that you'll end up on some eye popping websites !
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    I've never really had to give that much thought, Barry. With a new rifle I might apply a drop of motor oil into there. Other than that, unless a rifle was screaming at me to attend to it, I'd just strip, clean and lube with moly paste or grease as part of a service / tune / refresh. Rifles like the 35 beg for you to do it as that lovely manual latch exposes itself every time you whip the barrel off.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Strangely enough I've only noticed problems with webley rifles, My stingray Express had a little stiffness from time to time and it's never really used , I had the same problem with a tomahawk, Every so often I would have to lube and work in, Never seem to have any problems with any other make of guns,

Strangely enough I've only noticed problems with webley rifles, My stingray Express had a little stiffness from time to time and it's never really used , I had the same problem with a tomahawk, Every so often I would have to lube and work in, Never seem to have any problems with any other make of guns,

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I've never really had to give that much thought, Barry. With a new rifle I might apply a drop of motor oil into there. Other than that, unless a rifle was screaming at me to attend to it,
    I do agree Tony as my 80 is smooth enough, but I have seen wear through lack of grease/moly on break barrels, here is one that I changed on an old 80 barrel, so I was thinking that this area perhaps should get a blob of lube at regular intervals, but no one seem to agree so perhaps I am wrong

I guess any rifle might show slight tell tale signs of wear in those contact areas in time, Barry. But also, there must be so many thousands of older, heavily used rifles that may show wear in that area when scrutinised that still lock-up very solidly, due to the "self-compensating" nature from the stroke of the detent and the spring force. I think we all thought you were referring to the movement as opposed to the contact areas. As long as striction isn't stopping the detent moving freely, or the spring gone weak, that "self-compensating" effect should look after things? If it were of concern, then a high moly content treatment would be the best thing to apply, methinks, a paste or even a little pure dry powder buffed in.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

If not lubed any rubbing of metal on metal will cause wear, but that doesn't mean layer it on with a trowel.
    a light smear of moly grease every 200 pellets maybe, equally any excess lube needs to be wiped off to prevent dirt sticking to it.

I've seen webley latch pins absolutely worn down but I doubt it was lack of lube on the plunger. I would say, more importantly, the plunger hole, spring, and plunger body should be clean as a whistle and lubed up.
    I've even considered grinding a little off the plunger spring on a like new webley exocet I have! The force required to break open that rifle us unreal! I heard sandwell field sports used to offer that as a service for some rifles.

All that being said, a little moly on the plunger face isn't going to hurt, but I doubt it will stay there long.
    Donald