Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HW35 mods?

Cheers guys.
    Will do as above , plus will order a tbt guide set for the original spring once I’ve got it out and measured it .
    Have also ordered a new breach seal.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction for leaky breach / brazing repair instructions, not sure I fully understand at the moment.And what product number of Locktite am i looking for ?
    Thanks R

Quick update I stripped it down. The factory grease has turned into a very thick brown glue ! What’s best to remove this , I’ve tried brake cleaner and it’s not great .
    Thanks

I washed them in petrol that seemed to shift it. The record trigger on my 1980 HW35E was so gummed up with the stuff the safety would work! Washed in petrol then blown out with an airline a light relube and it was as good as new.
    Cheers
    Dave
    Last edited by Dai.T; 15-10-2021 at 05:37 PM.
    People said smile things could get worse, so I smiled and they did!

Yep safety stuck too . Will try some petrol another day, I think this is going to take a lot of cleaning and polishing before it’s ready to go back together .

Interested in understanding the breech end plug concern mentioned. How to diagnose and how to solve this with locktite?
    Steve

I've had Good deals & great info from many in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by randl View Post
    Cheers guys.
    Will do as above , plus will order a tbt guide set for the original spring once I’ve got it out and measured it .
    Have also ordered a new breach seal.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction for leaky breach / brazing repair instructions, not sure I fully understand at the moment.And what product number of Locktite am i looking for ?
    Thanks R
    https://houseofglues.com/j-b-weld-pe...strength-6-ml/

This is the stuff that I used and seems to have done the trick.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    ..and don't forget a blob of moly grease on the tail of the piston rod, to lube thru the rear guide and where it latches into the trigger...
    Yep.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for leaky breach / brazing repair instructions, not sure I fully understand at the moment.
    Thanks R
    There have been a few excellent tutorials on here over the years. In a bit of a rush right now, so struggling to find one. If I can I'll post a link, unless anyone else can in the meantime?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    There have been a few excellent tutorials on here over the years. In a bit of a rush right now, so struggling to find one. If I can I'll post a link, unless anyone else can in the meantime?
    Thanks Tony

Thread "HW35 leaking breech fix" revived. Not sure if it's the exact one I had in mind, but should help.

Update......yes, you'll find the information there. Hope it helps.
    Last edited by TonyL; 17-10-2021 at 06:26 AM.

Thread "HW35 leaking breech fix" revived. Not sure if it's the exact one I had in mind, but should help.

Update......yes, you'll find the information there. Hope it helps.
    That’s brilliant Tony , thanks for taking the time 👍
    I think I should be able to follow that now 😉
    Just a thought though is it possible to see the imperfections/ voids by putting a camera/ endoscope type into the cylinder or are they too small?

Cheers

Not sure. Maybe, depending on the positioning of some, you might be able to see any slight gaps closest to the cylinder? If you didn't want to try the mod and don't mind stripping the rifle more than once or twice, you could try assembling and power testing without attempting these mods. If the power output is healthy and consistent, no need to do?

Not sure. Maybe, depending on the positioning of some, you might be able to see any slight gaps closest to the cylinder? If you didn't want to try the mod and don't mind stripping the rifle more than once or twice, you could try assembling and power testing without attempting these mods. If the power output is healthy and consistent, no need to do?
    Once I’ve had time ( busy weekend) to clean it out properly I’ll have a look with a camera and see what it looks like.

Once I’ve had time ( busy weekend) to clean it out properly I’ll have a look with a camera and see what it looks like.
    From experience, you won't see the fault with the brazing. I believe the plug section of the breech had a groove machined into it and then I would imagine solder was wrapped into the groove before it was fluxed and heated post assembly. My guess it was the variability of this process that caused the formation of the voids.

For further reading, here's an old thread from 2013

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ing-breech-fix

So I’ve managed to clean the end bloc and safety, piston , and partial clean of the cylinder with some petrol 👍. I put the camera in the cylinder but it was still difficult to see any detail of brazing etc .
    I could see that the bore of the cylinder is still incredibly dirty so I’ve ordered some dowel to make a cleaning tool up .
    Will order some loctite and do the repair anyway as I’m not too keen on assembling and taking apart again if I can avoid it .
    Thanks again all .R