Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA Supersport/Lightning tuning?

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35

BSA Supersport/Lightning tuning?

Hi all,

After shooting some lovely tuned rifles at the boinger bash and also thoroughly enjoying my own .25 Lightning, I was thinking what further steps can be done apart from the usual spring and guides, I do have a better piston seal which I've not got around to fitting but I wondered if may be reducing the cylinder size from 28mm to 25mm (or may be even smaller) would help things along?

Your thoughts please learned ones.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Replace it? ideally with a hw35 just not the one Tony uses for beating non believers with

Joking aside I think one of the biggest let downs on the supersport/lightning is the trigger and the relative lack of adjustability. Polishing the sears I suspect would make a huge difference. It would be interesting to see if reducing the weight of the piston would help too, or perhaps buttoning the piston?

Quote Originally Posted by baldinio View Post
    Joking aside I think one of the biggest let downs on the supersport/lightning is the trigger and the relative lack of adjustability. Polishing the sears I suspect would make a huge difference. It would be interesting to see if reducing the weight of the piston would help too, or perhaps buttoning the piston?
    Now this is where I'm lucky as I have the "Custom" version which had the Superstar trigger fitted, which although still isn't a true two stage unit, it does have a crisp predictable let off, Tone and Les used it at the bash and said it was lovely, admittedly it's not as good as the usual triggers they get compared to but perfectly usable for hunting and plinking and dare I say target work as well, it was lobbing the .25 pellets down range and really whacking those spinners last weekend and I couldn't believe how well it was moving the big yellow target plate.

I wonder if the mods Jon B did to his Airsporter RB2 would be beneficial to the Supersport, it does have the same size bore and the same piston seal, may be as I live near Nick G now, I may be able to ask him nicely to have a tinker with it.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Hi all,

After shooting some lovely tuned rifles at the boinger bash and also thoroughly enjoying my own .25 Lightning, I was thinking what further steps can be done apart from the usual spring and guides, I do have a better piston seal which I've not got around to fitting but I wondered if may be reducing the cylinder size from 28mm to 25mm (or may be even smaller) would help things along?

Your thoughts please learned ones.

Pete
    I can't remember what stroke the Supersport / Lightning has, Pete. I would guess that it would be sufficient from that point of view to make it a candidate for sleeving down, though.

I guess the tricky thing might be getting the trigger to work properly, with the sear latching onto the piston and not a central rod? If possible, and if there'd be sufficient stroke ahead of the sear notch, I wonder if the original piston could be modded in such a way that the original sear notch could be retained?

Would a Meteor piston work?

At the end of the day, when we look to the engineering gurus we have on here, like Nick, anything may be possible. As a simpler / quicker solution, I wonder if it might be wiser to look to short stroke it via a nose extension and setting the piston weight to suit the new tune?

Let's see what Nick and Jon suggest.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I do remember shooting your supersport custom .25 and telling you that it shot nicer than my Lightning.
    The trigger was very nice and was the icing on the cake.
    Les..

Hey Petey,

A couple of things:-

I'm liking your new location description.

That big bruiser of a .25 certainly shot quite nicely and the trigger most usable.

If I remember correctly, aren't Supersports 29mm and the Mercury / Airsporter 28?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Hey Petey,

A couple of things:-

I'm liking your new location description.

That big bruiser of a .25 certainly shot quite nicely and the trigger most usable.

If I remember correctly, aren't Supersports 29mm and the Mercury / Airsporter 28?
    I think you might be right mate, I know the RB2 piston is the same size as the Supersports as I bought a couple of swanky piston seals from that tuning bloke (not the fish guy) in the states, I did send one on to the man who tunes in sheds for his RB2 project, not sure if he used it or not though, I still haven't fitted my one yet either, actually come to think of it, I'm sure I've got a spare Supersport piston in my box of bits but since moving it could be anywhere.

I thought you might like the new location description, I've been aching to put it up for ages but didn't want to spoil the surprise of meeting you at the bash (my new location description might have given it away), I was disappointed that you didn't beat me with the soggy end of 35 and I think I did rather well trying out some HW's, shame there wasn't any tuned .22 99's kicking about to try but that tuned 30 was divine and may have been even better in .22 or even .25

I nearly bought a Bigtoe 22mm kit for my Prosport during the week and was in negotiations with him and then he informs me he sold his last kit to someone else yesterday, so I think I will go to Solware today for the first time and see if they can tempt me with anything.

Pete
    Last edited by look no hands; 16-10-2021 at 07:39 AM.

I hope Big Bill sorts you with a lovely 99, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I hope Big Bill sorts you with a lovely 99, Pete.
    Well I went to Solware and was a bit disappointed, abysmal secondhand selection and their stock levels are pretty bad due to supply problems, so left there empty handed.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Well I went to Solware and was a bit disappointed, abysmal secondhand selection and their stock levels are pretty bad due to supply problems, so left there empty handed.

Pete
    Hi Perkins guns in Daventry have a very large selection of secondhand rifle's and pistols https://perkinguns.co.uk/air-guns/

john.
    BSA SUPERSPORT .22
    Ripley ar5s .177
    Steyr challenge hft 177 SYWELL FT CLUB

Quote Originally Posted by john79 View Post
    Hi Perkins guns in Daventry have a very large selection of secondhand rifle's and pistols https://perkinguns.co.uk/air-guns/

john.
    Indeed they do, I bought a couple of Airsporters from them a few weeks ago, they have a good selection but are a little pricey, luckily I got the two I bought for a good price.

Pete

Originally Posted by john79

john.

Yep and they have a nice rare laminate 95 for sale. Mach 1.5

BSA Supersport/Lightning tuning?

Quote Originally Posted by baldinio View Post
    I found also shimming out the side play on the triggers with little nylon electrical washers after dressing the sides of the sears & trigger cage helps a lot too....

Has any had to shim the maxirail? I've run out of elevation on my xlt
    Last edited by Rusty nutz; 18-10-2021 at 10:58 PM.