Thread: BSF B55 what are they like?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35

BSF B55 what are they like?

Hi all,

Does anyone know what BSF B55 rifles are like, mainly build quality and the way they shoot and are things like the triggers any good.

Cheers

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

An acquired taste.

And Ive acquired a few of them.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Two here.

I like them. They had quite a following in the 70s/early 80s. Short, light, good-handling. Punchy - full 12ft-lbs despite their size, but easy to cock (similar to an FWB Sport). Not the easiest to shoot very accurately.

Triggers are average, no Rekord. Over time, the pull improves with wear, but can wear to the point of becoming dangerous. This can be adjusted back to safe with the trigger adjustment screw. Articulated cocking linkage means no slot in the bottom of the stock, which is nice.

Quality is about the same as contemporary Dianas. Finish is OK, but not the best blueing in my experience.

They did a walnut “N” one as well as beech.

The rear sight originally only adjusted for elevation. It gained a windage adjustment later - I think some time in the 70s.

I just fancy something a bit different, querky and interesting.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Hi all,

Does anyone know what BSF B55 rifles are like, mainly build quality and the way they shoot and are things like the triggers any good.

Cheers

Pete
    Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I just fancy something a bit different, querky and interesting.

Pete
    Certainly a little more quirky than some and interesting, Pete. I've never owned one but I have enjoyed a few brief shots with some, especially a couple that IJ brought along to a Bash once. They shot pretty nicely. Sturdy and "basic" feeling. It all depends what you want from a gun. Personally, my take would be that if you're taking the plunge and going German, I'd lean towards something with a little more finesse from the HW stable, a FWB 124/127 or Anschutz 335? Maybe an old school HW50 could tempt and is a lighter, yet solid offering?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Certainly a little more quirky than some and interesting, Pete. I've never owned one but I have enjoyed a few brief shots with some, especially a couple that IJ brought along to a Bash once. They shot pretty nicely. Sturdy and "basic" feeling. It all depends what you want from a gun. Personally, my take would be that if you're taking the plunge and going German, I'd lean towards something with a little more finesse from the HW stable, a FWB 124/127 or Anschutz 335? Maybe an old school HW50 could tempt and is a lighter, yet solid offering?
    I only ask as I've seen one in a gun shop that looks nice and you know I like "different" just got to find out how much they want for it.

I totally agree with you about getting something more refined, which I will, I'll wait until something interesting comes up on here or see what's kicking about at the next bash but in the mean time I'll keep an eye out at local gun shops as the odd gem pops up every now and then.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Two here.

The rear sight originally only adjusted for elevation. It gained a windage adjustment later - I think some time in the 70s.
    Late 1978.

hTH
    Ian

Bought one new in the late 70's.
    Not too bad,but preferred the Hw35 and the FWB 124.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin