Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSF B55 what are they like?

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35

BSF B55 what are they like?

Hi all,

Does anyone know what BSF B55 rifles are like, mainly build quality and the way they shoot and are things like the triggers any good.

Cheers

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

An acquired taste.

And Ive acquired a few of them.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Two here.

I like them. They had quite a following in the 70s/early 80s. Short, light, good-handling. Punchy - full 12ft-lbs despite their size, but easy to cock (similar to an FWB Sport). Not the easiest to shoot very accurately.

Triggers are average, no Rekord. Over time, the pull improves with wear, but can wear to the point of becoming dangerous. This can be adjusted back to safe with the trigger adjustment screw. Articulated cocking linkage means no slot in the bottom of the stock, which is nice.

Quality is about the same as contemporary Dianas. Finish is OK, but not the best blueing in my experience.

They did a walnut “N” one as well as beech.

The rear sight originally only adjusted for elevation. It gained a windage adjustment later - I think some time in the 70s.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    I just fancy something a bit different, querky and interesting.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Two here.

The rear sight originally only adjusted for elevation. It gained a windage adjustment later - I think some time in the 70s.
    Late 1978.

hTH
    Ian

Bought one new in the late 70's.
    Not too bad,but preferred the Hw35 and the FWB 124.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by MrGreengrass View Post
    Bought one new in the late 70's.
    Not too bad,but preferred the Hw35 and the FWB 124.
    Agreed but the '35 is a well built but heavy beast and the 'Sport has a couple of flaws (cracking stock, barrel lock up, plastic rear sight).

Horses for courses.

Loving the bit where he very diplomatically says, basically, “this thing boinged around like heck and I couldn’t hit a bloody thing with it”. Which, at sensible ranges, isn’t my experience. But not the easiest rifle to shoot well.

All a bit agricultural. Better build quality than a Webley Vulcan MK1 or BSA Mecury, but as bad a trigger. Not a touch on the build of earlier BSAs or say the Webley MKIIIs.
    BSF S70 was the nicest I thought. A bit like a Annie 335, but with more power, though less good trigger.

Certainly "interesting".

Certainly better shooting at lower Ft/Lbs than the 13+ they are capable of.

Very well covered above. My tuppence worth: I think the extra weight of tbe S60 or 70 in conjunction with a bit of a reduction in power offers a nice introduction to the marque. They are a bit quirky and quite well made. They're neither Weihrauch like nor Diana like.
    The thing that I find most unusual is the shape of the trigger blade. The feel, weight and let off are fine in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    Very well covered above. My tuppence worth: I think the extra weight of tbe S60 or 70 in conjunction with a bit of a reduction in power offers a nice introduction to the marque. They are a bit quirky and quite well made. They're neither Weihrauch like nor Diana like.
    The thing that I find most unusual is the shape of the trigger blade. The feel, weight and let off are fine in my opinion.
    Yes, but the whole point of the 55 is that it is short, light and, by 1950s-70s standards, powerful.

The 60 and 70, especially if lowered a bit in power, lose that historical unique selling point, and become just another alternative to the Diana 35, Anschutz 335, Webley Vulcan, etc. Still good rifles (and, beyond the trigger, the BSFs seem to have no constructional issues like the A335 stock bolt mounts, the many FWB Sport flaws, the HW35 porous breech) but are not just as distinctive as the 55.

I recall a Tom G blog a while ago which essentially said that, looking at the top late 70s springers (D35, D45, FWB 124, BSF55), the BSF 55 was essentially a Diana 27-sized rifle that beat the Diana 35 and matched the other bigger heavier guns on power. By the same logic, de-tune a 55, and you might as well have bought a Diana 27.

Again like a Webley Vulcan MK1: full power, no weight, agricultural trigger. Just better made in that it was done on older machinery.
    The S70 I wish I hadn't sold.

I agree if tamed then thats not authentic. When fired you knew a lot was going on to get that power.
    Tamed then I'd have the very well behaved Annie 335.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Agreed but the '35 is a well built but heavy beast and the 'Sport has a couple of flaws (cracking stock, barrel lock up, plastic rear sight).

Horses for courses.
    Agree, but every gun had flaws from that era.ol.
    My 35 breech lockup ate its way into the cylinder and
    the 124 used to puff out of the breech a bit.
    BSF bluing wore out real quick on my S70, B55 and the 54
    i had was no better than a Relum Tornado plus the triggers were pretty horrible, slightly better than a Vulcan though.
    The trigger on my S200 and the often slated Rapid gamo unit feel like state of the art Olympic match units in comparison to some of the older guns...bar the 35.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin