Thread: BSF B55 what are they like?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    All a bit agricultural. Better build quality than a Webley Vulcan MK1 or BSA Mecury, but as bad a trigger. Not a touch on the build of earlier BSAs or say the Webley MKIIIs.
    BSF S70 was the nicest I thought. A bit like a Annie 335, but with more power, though less good trigger.

Certainly "interesting".

Certainly better shooting at lower Ft/Lbs than the 13+ they are capable of.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Very well covered above. My tuppence worth: I think the extra weight of tbe S60 or 70 in conjunction with a bit of a reduction in power offers a nice introduction to the marque. They are a bit quirky and quite well made. They're neither Weihrauch like nor Diana like.
    The thing that I find most unusual is the shape of the trigger blade. The feel, weight and let off are fine in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    Very well covered above. My tuppence worth: I think the extra weight of tbe S60 or 70 in conjunction with a bit of a reduction in power offers a nice introduction to the marque. They are a bit quirky and quite well made. They're neither Weihrauch like nor Diana like.
    The thing that I find most unusual is the shape of the trigger blade. The feel, weight and let off are fine in my opinion.
    Yes, but the whole point of the 55 is that it is short, light and, by 1950s-70s standards, powerful.

The 60 and 70, especially if lowered a bit in power, lose that historical unique selling point, and become just another alternative to the Diana 35, Anschutz 335, Webley Vulcan, etc. Still good rifles (and, beyond the trigger, the BSFs seem to have no constructional issues like the A335 stock bolt mounts, the many FWB Sport flaws, the HW35 porous breech) but are not just as distinctive as the 55.

I recall a Tom G blog a while ago which essentially said that, looking at the top late 70s springers (D35, D45, FWB 124, BSF55), the BSF 55 was essentially a Diana 27-sized rifle that beat the Diana 35 and matched the other bigger heavier guns on power. By the same logic, de-tune a 55, and you might as well have bought a Diana 27.

Again like a Webley Vulcan MK1: full power, no weight, agricultural trigger. Just better made in that it was done on older machinery.
    The S70 I wish I hadn't sold.

I agree if tamed then thats not authentic. When fired you knew a lot was going on to get that power.
    Tamed then I'd have the very well behaved Annie 335.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Yes, but the whole point of the 55 is that it is short, light and, by 1950s-70s standards, powerful.

The 60 and 70, especially if lowered a bit in power, lose that historical unique selling point, and become just another alternative to the Diana 35, Anschutz 335, Webley Vulcan, etc. Still good rifles (and, beyond the trigger, the BSFs seem to have no constructional issues like the A335 stock bolt mounts, the many FWB Sport flaws, the HW35 porous breech) but are not just as distinctive as the 55.

I recall a Tom G blog a while ago which essentially said that, looking at the top late 70s springers (D35, D45, FWB 124, BSF55), the BSF 55 was essentially a Diana 27-sized rifle that beat the Diana 35 and matched the other bigger heavier guns on power. By the same logic, de-tune a 55, and you might as well have bought a Diana 27.
    By that measue, I would probably pass on the 55, myself. It its designed? power it would be fine as an interesting collectors piece but I would much prefer it made as sweet as possible in order to get maximum enjoyment from it. I do like owning and shooting BSF's.
    I do rate some of the other rifles you mentioned above the BSF's and to give a 55 it's best chance of competing against them in terms of sweetness and accuracy, it would need to be fettled. Pegged back to 10ish they do shoot nicely. Of course there may be other was to do it.