Thread: Daystate cocking graunch solved ...update

Daystate cocking graunch solved ...update

In mid Sept I wrote about my efforts to find the reason for a graunchiness when I pulled the bolt back to cock my Merlyn. After much searching and trying everything I could think of, I removed the plastic sleeve round the hammer spring. hey ho ... graunchiness gone. My conclusion was that when the spring was compressed the coils could catch on the end of the sleeve and impede movement when they increased in diameter; hence garunch. In the past month I have shot the Merlyn and can report that the graunch has not returned. Further, some time ago I chamfered the inside edges of the sleeve end diameters and the inside edges of the split and refitted the sleeve. The graunch did not return.
    Hopefully all OK now with a good cocking action.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    In mid Sept I wrote about my efforts to find the reason for a graunchiness when I pulled the bolt back to cock my Merlyn. After much searching and trying everything I could think of, I removed the plastic sleeve round the hammer spring. hey ho ... graunchiness gone. My conclusion was that when the spring was compressed the coils could catch on the end of the sleeve and impede movement when they increased in diameter; hence garunch. In the past month I have shot the Merlyn and can report that the graunch has not returned. Further, some time ago I chamfered the inside edges of the sleeve end diameters and the inside edges of the split and refitted the sleeve. The graunch did not return.
    Hopefully all OK now with a good cocking action.
    Cheers, Phil
    Handy to know, None of mine have had this problem but you never know in the future,