Thread: New rifle in process of being ordered, now recommend me a scope

engin is offline If you can't dazzle them with brilliance...

New rifle in process of being ordered, now recommend me a scope

Ime just in the process of ordering an HW 98 in .20 cal.

I now need a scope.

im using a Bushnell 10x40 on my s410 supalight. It’s a clean clear easy to use scope. I’d like something similar but perhaps with variable mag.

usage will be squirrels, bunnies and plinking.

budget is up to £250.

whilst you’re posting, what are the best mounts to go for too?

sorry for all the questions. Ive been away from air rifles for a while and really fancy a springer for taking care of vermin and keeping myself amused.

Hawke AIRMAX 30 SF COMPACT 4-16x44

Why variable mag? Not saying there’s anything wrong with variable mag, just asking why.

You’ll get more for your money buying known quality 2ndhand.

Eyesight and reticles need to complement each other as does how your brain works with the reticle.

Do you want/need IR? AO or side focus? How long? How heavy?

There’s no shortcuts, you’ve got to look through and use a number of scopes. Otherwise it’s an expensive buy/buy again cycle.

Mounts - for a springer, you’ll probably need double strap, but one piece or two piece will be your choice. Personally I favour the BKL mounts.

Take a look at the sale section of opticswarehouse.co.uk, currently a good deal on the Optisan EVE 2.5-10x50.
    But you need to check that you like the reticle and the glass suits your eye before buying any scope.

engin is offline If you can't dazzle them with brilliance...
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis299 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Why variable mag? Not saying there’s anything wrong with variable mag, just asking why.

You’ll get more for your money buying known quality 2ndhand.

Eyesight and reticles need to complement each other as does how your brain works with the reticle.

Do you want/need IR? AO or side focus? How long? How heavy?

There’s no shortcuts, you’ve got to look through and use a number of scopes. Otherwise it’s an expensive buy/buy again cycle.

Mounts - for a springer, you’ll probably need double strap, but one piece or two piece will be your choice. Personally I favour the BKL mounts.
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Take a look at the sale section of opticswarehouse.co.uk, currently a good deal on the Optisan EVE 2.5-10x50.
    But you need to check that you like the reticle and the glass suits your eye before buying any scope.
    Thanks Travis.

Zephyr:

why variable mag? No real reason apart from the fact that it can help with estimating distance and it’s another toy to play with. Though as I’m not really going to be shooting this rifle much past 50 yards…… yes, maybe it could be a fixed mag scope. I do quite like the 10x SWFA scopes, and would love an HD one, but they are out of reach.

IR? No.
    AO? No.
    Side focus? Preferred.

BKL mounts. The chaps from TGS Air channel on YT was recommending these.

Zephyr, Angrybear,

I have limited mobility and my local gun shop is not big on their scope selection. Every few months I get over to Bisley, but even there the scope selection is limited. What I’m hoping to do is get a shortlist, then see whether anyone in London that is reachable by public transport has one I can look through.

Something that starts at 3 or 4 mag for squirrels in wooded areas
    A 98 is a lot heavier than a 95 so I reckon a medium weight scope and mounts (balance / weight) would be as high on my list as any other criteria

I'm softening on Hawke after a very good customer service experience - maybe have a look through a 4-16 airmax and see if you can get better glass for 250 - my usual suggestion is Bushnell Prime SF 4-12 x 40 at 230 ish as I've not seen anything as good for near that money
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Engin, scopes are so very personal. Give a scope to 10 shooters and you'll get 12 opinions back.

Biggest thing I find is the type of ret you like. I like MTCs christmas tree rets (SCB) as I dont find the deluge if info to be overwhelming. Many do.

If your are after the greys, then something with a floating cross or dot may help. I like illuminated rets too as they may be tracking through canopy or under the canopy where light can vary.

You want something not too fussy on eye relief and isnt tunnel vision so your scope goes black if you are not perfectly aligned.

Maybe even a red dot would be good if your sniping at a feeder station. Perhaps not so good if your yomping through the woodland.

MTC and Optisan have good glass nowadays.... some of it very clear. I agree, optics warehouse have ex display or 2nd hand at ik prices, but warranty will need to be checked.

I am not a Hawke fan but they have come a long way and I believe have no time limit iro their warranty too. I have had mixed results with them but that was some time ago so maybe a different animal now.

Buying 2nd hand will get you better quality but of course, caveat emptor.

Mounts, I never got on with BKL. TGS are shitgun nuts more than riflemen. They are also retailers so probably are focused on recommending ranges they sell.

I usually go Sportsmatch as a minimum though my favourites are A.R.M.S. but a bugga to get hold off and expensive (yankee made).

You may need an arrestor mount if your springing it. Depends on the recoil.

You need the scope first tbh as the height of the mount will be dictated by the objective lens dia. and maybe saddle clash.

Also, if its a break barrel, then you need to make sure the objective wont strike the breaking barrel swing.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by engin View Post
    I'm just in the process of ordering an HW 98 in .20 cal.

I now need a scope.

usage will be squirrels, bunnies and plinking.

budget is up to £250.
    I don't think you will go far wrong with an M18+ Falcon. 1st Focal plane so zooming in and out won't be an issue. Get the Mil clicks / Milrad reticle. Set up right and you should be able to do some basic range-finding with it as well.
    Not currently in stock anywhere that I know of, but you should be able to pick a good one up second hand. But I reckon FFP is a must if hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    Engin, scopes are so very personal. Give a scope to 10 shooters and you'll get 12 opinions back.

Biggest thing I find is the type of ret you like. I like MTCs christmas tree rets (SCB) as I dont find the deluge if info to be overwhelming. Many do.

If your are after the greys, then something with a floating cross or dot may help. I like illuminated rets too as they may be tracking through canopy or under the canopy where light can vary.

You want something not too fussy on eye relief and isnt tunnel vision so your scope goes black if you are not perfectly aligned.

Maybe even a red dot would be good if your sniping at a feeder station. Perhaps not so good if your yomping through the woodland.

MTC and Optisan have good glass nowadays.... some of it very clear. I agree, optics warehouse have ex display or 2nd hand at ik prices, but warranty will need to be checked.

I am not a Hawke fan but they have come a long way and I believe have no time limit iro their warranty too. I have had mixed results with them but that was some time ago so maybe a different animal now.

Buying 2nd hand will get you better quality but of course, caveat emptor.

Mounts, I never got on with BKL. TGS are shitgun nuts more than riflemen. They are also retailers so probably are focused on recommending ranges they sell.

I usually go Sportsmatch as a minimum though my favourites are A.R.M.S. but a bugga to get hold off and expensive (yankee made).

You may need an arrestor mount if your springing it. Depends on the recoil.

You need the scope first tbh as the height of the mount will be dictated by the objective lens dia. and maybe saddle clash.

Also, if its a break barrel, then you need to make sure the objective wont strike the breaking barrel swing.
    Pretty much all of this.
    VAYA CON DIOS

It was a few years ago, Optics Warehouse let me order four scopes on the agreement at least three would be returned with a full refund given. I had to pay for all four initially and the return postage. It was a good way of trying and would aid in your limited mobility.

Oh, and just for balance, unlike Captain Zero, I can’t stand first focal plane reticles (not saying Captain Zero is wrong - just that I can’t understand the point of a having a ret so small at low mags it is difficult to see/use the holdover marks). Which just goes to support Steyr’s and my advice that you have to look through the scopes yourself, no one can tell you what will work for you and what you’d like.
    Last edited by zephyr; 18-10-2021 at 06:11 PM.

Hawke Tactical 2 piece mounts

I used Hawke 2 piece Tactical medium rings to mount the Hawke scope on my HW95L .22. https://us.hawkeoptics.com/tactical-...mm-medium.html

Oh, and just for balance, unlike Captain Zero, I can’t stand first focal plane reticle, not saying Captain Zero is wrong - just that I can’t understand the point of a having a ret so small at low mags it is difficult to see/use the holdover marks.
    Totally understandable, I've just got used to taking my standing shots on 10X which is not too bad. But the cruncher for me personally is no matter what mag it's on the holdover and windage markings are the same.

But saying that - I have a 1970's steel Weaver 2-7x32W with the TV screen ocular bell, which has amazing clarity and that's 2nd focal plane and an 8x56 Steel Weaver from mid 70's as well which is a really long scope, but they both have different uses - so horses for courses so to speak.

Mark

It was a few years ago, Optics Warehouse let me order four scopes on the agreement at least three would be returned with a full refund given. I had to pay for all four initially and the return postage. It was a good way of trying and would aid in your limited mobility.

Oh, and just for balance, unlike Captain Zero, I can’t stand first focal plane reticles (not saying Captain Zero is wrong - just that I can’t understand the point of a having a ret so small at low mags it is difficult to see/use the holdover marks). Which just goes to support Steyr’s and my advice that you have to look through the scopes yourself, no one can tell you what will work for you and what you’d like.
    At the risk of stating the obvious,
    if the range is such that you need to use holdover, you would surely have increased the magnification level to a point where the whole target was larger & thus the holdover marks also larger ?

The point is that in FFP 1 mil remains 1 mil throughout the mag range, in SFP holdover changes as the mag changes.
    but it's personal choice.