Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Posting airguns (what box to use)

Posting airguns (what box to use)

No not another who to use thread
    I was wondering, what kind of box do you use to post your airguns, specifically rifles if you don't have the original? I've thought about selling a few recently, and if I'm honest the idea of butchering a few boxes together to make something long enough (like I've done in the past) has put me off a bit. I've been told to go ask a gunshop to see if they have any spare they are chucking out, but my nearest one is a hour drive away.
    Does anybody order custom boxes from some sites off Google or do you just cobble something together from supermarkets boxes or the like?

Any ideas?
    Super soaker 3000 (water), nerf fang (foam), noisy cricket (energy), m41a pulse rifle (10x24), Gat gun (.177)

i just normaly ask my local gun shop and they supply me with a box for free

I had one sent to me with the stock packed separately in the same box. Reduces the length, Bubble wrap to prevent them rubbing each other - plenty of it.

I don't know where they came from other than bought from some one who sells cardboard boxes.

Edtwozeronine is offline I say dear boy, would you mind awfully doing as you're told?

Thumbs up

I buy a budget leaf blower if I ever need to post a rifle, take the action off the stock, perfect fit!
    ***Proud Member of Castleton Air Rifle Club***

I've a box manufacturer literally 5 mins away but he said he needs a minimum order off 100. So that's a no. As said I'd ask a gun shop but they are miles away. Never thought of taking the action out, might be a good option as its easier to find a sub meter box than longer
    Super soaker 3000 (water), nerf fang (foam), noisy cricket (energy), m41a pulse rifle (10x24), Gat gun (.177)

Some use carpet tubes or similar.

Go to eblag & search for flat pack box, type I / H / K (tube) are good gun sizes.

The secret of safe packing is to pack the box tight with bubble wrap &/or other impact adsorbing material,
    If you're not happy to throw it down the stairs or across the room it's not good enough

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    .....The secret of safe packing is to pack the box tight with bubble wrap &/or other impact adsorbing material,
    If you're not happy to throw it down the stairs or across the room it's not good enough
    and don't waste your money on ' box decoration's ' fragile, handle with care labels.

I'll look into all these, brilliant
    Thanks
    👍

Quote Originally Posted by Strimmer View Post
    I'll look into all these, brilliant
    Thanks
    👍
    Try a cycling shop.
    You will get plenty cardboard from one of those boxes.

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    Quote Originally Posted by where's it gone View Post
    and don't waste your money on ' box decoration's ' fragile, handle with care labels.
    Yes you may well receive such parcels with the acronym Failed Under Kinetic Testing.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    I'll often split the action from the stock, wrap both separate in bubble wrap, and then use a smaller, but deeper, box, as there is far less chance of it getting damaged. I also try and post in a hard case where I can, and then wrap the outside of it in cardboard and tape, I keep large boxes as and when I get them so I can butcher them later
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    I'll often split the action from the stock, wrap both separate in bubble wrap, and then use a smaller, but deeper, box, as there is far less chance of it getting damaged. I also try and post in a hard case where I can, and then wrap the outside of it in cardboard and tape, I keep large boxes as and when I get them so I can butcher them later
    I usually butcher the day lights out of a few boxes to get what I want, I was just wondering if there's 'ready made' stuff available.

I knock up a simple box from 12 and 4 mm ply, pack it with foam/ bubble wrap and make a cardboard lid. Fortunately I have access to plenty of ply offcuts

Thumbs up

Jesim1 and ajohn have said it best, try and split the action and the stock, wrapped well in bubblewrap , packed tight in a shorter box = less chance of damage.