Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warning about doing deals in public places...

Warning about doing deals in public places...

https://www.sussexlive.co.uk/news/su...luding-6155535

For God's sake...

Two people have been arrested and police later seized around 35 firearms during a raid in Worthing.

Sussex Police was tipped off by a member of the public, who reported seeing two people handling suspected firearms outside a vehicle in a car park in Rowlands Road shortly before 2pm on Saturday (October 23).

Officers from the Tactical Firearms Unit swooped on the scene and arrested a 53-year-old man and a 49-year-old woman in the car on suspicion of possessing firearms.
    Two
    deactivated pistols were discovered in the vehicle.

Officers then searched the man’s address and in an outbuilding they found a further 25 long-barrelled weapons, the majority of which were deactivated, and a further 10
    handgun-style weapons either gas-powered or deactivated.

The officers made safe the weapons, some of which had not been deactivated properly.

The 49-year-old woman from Worthing was released under investigation, while the 53-year-old man from Worthing was released on police bail, pending further enquiries.
    Last edited by Garvin; 06-11-2021 at 04:50 PM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Gas powered COULD mean Brocock or C02 I would guess.

Some one needs to proof read this one .
    https://albania.kivazen.com/guns-sei...-denunciation/

Quote.

Sussex Police found 25 long barreled guns, the majority of which were deactivated, and 10 other gasoline or deactivated handguns.

Wrong type of Gas unless they were flame thrower pistols.
    Last edited by bighit; 06-11-2021 at 05:19 PM.

And “not deactivated properly” could mean deactivated to one of the older specifications, which I believe are legal to possess, but not to transfer to anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Gas powered COULD mean Brocock or C02.
    Is that really true? Gas-powered means CO2 to me!

Gasoline!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

What's the "for gods sake" for ?
    the stupidity of handling guns in public, the police following up a report of firearms, or the sleazy attention grabbing headline ??

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Is that really true? Gas-powered means CO2 to me!

It's a newspaper report by some one who may not know the difference .

How many times have we seen new shooters calling pcp airguns " Gas" guns ?

Air is a composition of gasses.
    Last edited by bighit; 06-11-2021 at 05:20 PM.

True.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    What's the "for gods sake" for ?
    the stupidity of handling guns in public, the police following up a report of firearms, or the sleazy attention grabbing headline ??
    Er, cr@p reporting, police over-reaction, numpty busybody 'tip off'... take your pick.

I agree, it is a bit stupid to let the guns be seen. but for all we know the 'member of the public' was a raving anti and the trade was suitably discreet and hardly between obvious gangster types.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Operating without any decent restraint - Nottm

Everyone thats ever asked me about pcp air guns has referered em as "Gas Guns"
    1st Battalion Humberside Cavalier Rescue Deserters on the cut

Papers like exaggerating I would believe half of what they say
    The daily record in Scotland had a headline of dangerous weapons found on ship docked near cop 26 in Glasgow
    The dangerous weapons were listed as a Swiss Army knife a multi tool and a pair of nunchucks
    Ok nunchucks are illegal but don’t think anyone was going to attack Biden with a pair of nunchucks
    A Swiss Army knife and multi tool on a ship are certainly not dangerous weapons
    Papers are scum and never write the truth

I don't think I've heard/seen the term "gas gun" until this post

Always a very bad idea to transfer / inspect / display guns in public.
    A 'blind' transfer wouldn't have been an issue, I suppose. Although I'd still recommend against it.
    But as soon as firearms of any kind, whether or not deactivated / licenced / not requiring a licence, see the daylight on public property (or on private property where there is no (implied) permission for their presence) you can expect trouble...

Besides, if I'm transferring my rifles, I really don't need members of the general public to know about it, because I really don't need a smashed window and a raided car if I decide to pop into a shop for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I don't think I've heard/seen the term "gas gun" until this post
    We don't tend to hear it so much these days, AB, and it's possibly more of an "Americanism", I think? And don't forget that old book by W.H.B. Smith - Gas, Spring and Air Guns of The World. I think that's the right way round, anyway.

As for the nature of the OP, and not going into the types of guns involved (if illegal / prohibited, well out of order and stupid), but I'm also in the camp of conducting any dealings with legally held and traded guns out of the public eye for fear of alarm, panic and reprisals and to protect the image and reputation of our sport and the many thousands of sensible, law-abiding people who safely enjoy it.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    We don't tend to hear it so much these days, AB, and it's possibly more of an "Americanism", I think? And don't forget that old book by W.H.B. Smith - Gas, Spring and Air Guns of The World. I think that's the right way round, anyway.
    Lesley Wesley had chapters for gas pistols & gas rifles back in the early '50's, I believe.

ATB

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

That's why you need a panel van - climb in the back, shut the doors and you can do your deals in there.
    Common sense goes a long way, years ago I did a deal with a chap and he was waving this airgun around in a car park - I left promptly.

The papers always make it sound worse than it is I have always found out. I have met a lot of people half way to buy a rifle but I just put it in the car and have a quick look as if you ask enough questions and get enough information of the seller then you can normally tell if they are genuine or not and for me that’s enough for me just to put in back of car in rifle bag and just open the bag out of view and give it a quick check. If anyone ever waved one around I would be in my car and gone like a shot