Thread: Here's a question for you.....

Here's a question for you.....

What does Holts use to put the guns that they photograph in their catalogue ?

Whatever it is it seems to give the guns a nice gloss, which seems to even out some of the blemishes. You can still see the pits if you look hard, but whatever is used seems to make all the guns look very good .

And once coated, they must remove it before the guns go under the hammer ?

Just wondering ?

Lakey

Some form of flat lighting? Probably in a light dome or tent. Used a lot professionally for product shots

The guns seem to be coated with oil, maybe quite thick?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Yes, a wipe over with a very oily rag, hides an awful lot?

Definitely agree I'd never bid on anything unless I'd viewed it in person first as majority of the guns they list look amazing in the pics but then when you view them in person you realise the photos are quite misleading.
    I suspect its a mix of kind lighting and probably given a spray over with polish/ oily rag just before photos taken?
    From attending their auctions over the past few years it's always been the same, when you view the guns you realise they're almost always a lot worse condition than they look in the pics.

Who?
    I like the look of

https://www.antonycribb.com/autumn-preview

Their photos seem more realistic.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    What does Holts use to put the guns that they photograph in their catalogue ?

Whatever it is it seems to give the guns a nice gloss, which seems to even out some of the blemishes. You can still see the pits if you look hard, but whatever is used seems to make all the guns look very good .

And once coated, they must remove it before the guns go under the hammer ?

Just wondering ?

Lakey
    Photoshop?

ATB, Ed

Unframed Dave is online now World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Photoshop?

ATB, Ed
    That's too generic a suggestion. Photoshop could be used to crop or merely straighten up a wonky horizon. However if it were being used to improve the appearance of an item being sold at auction where the photo forms part of the description, that would be fraudulent. I very much doubt that would happen. Especially given the audience and the often substantial amounts of money exchanging hands. I suspect there's some wiggle words somewhere that suggest the buyer does not solely rely on the photographs.

In photography off the back of the lens as opposed to post processed, lighting pays a key part in the cosmetics of anything whether it be a landscape, a shapely breast or a Holland and Holland.

Other than that a wipe over with oil improves most things, you wouldn't want to eat pretty well any food that's been handled by a professional food photographer. Some of their "methods" are incredibly creative.

All of the above is subject to the word allegedly.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

I can't imagine someone wiping oil on every article in there auction sales, unless they have a robot?

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamrob View Post
    I can't imagine someone wiping oil on every article in there auction sales, unless they have a robot?
    How else do they justify their horrendous commission charges?
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

edbear2 Guest
    Photoshop......

ATB, ED

Unframed Dave is online now World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Photoshop......

ATB, ED
    Allegedly.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    I have heard tell that allegedly they wipe everything with Ballistol which may explain the glossy appearance of the guns. As for their commision it is a very big professional outfit that relies on a continuous throughput of stuff, they have a big staff & if you have ever been there it must cost a bomb to run it all.
    All those costs add up.
    I recently bought a few guns (muzzleloaders) from them & they were pretty much as described.
    One bought on the sealed bid auction (cheapies) turned out to be far better than i had expected to the extent that its probably going to go back into service.
    Even after commission i considered it a result.
    I do think that the expensive end of the market for some stuff has been over inflated to the extent that the arse is liable to drop out of the market.
    Maybe the forthcoming lead ban is having an effect too?