Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daystate tactical stock.

Daystate tactical stock.

My stock is becoming a bit sticky, as if the finish is going off. Gives great contact with the hand to stock but not so great feel on the checkpiece. Is there any fixes to cure this ?

Quote Originally Posted by where's it gone View Post
    My stock is becoming a bit sticky, as if the finish is going off. Gives great contact with the hand to stock but not so great feel on the checkpiece. Is there any fixes to cure this ?
    Mine is that same, I only bought it to fit studs but I've kept the original walnut stock as it's a lovely stock, I dont mind the sticky side of it at moment but it don't half pick up fluff etc and looks shabby, I'm sure halfords do a rubber type spray but I to will be keeping an eye on this thread for any advice, I guess the rubber stuff on my stock is going to get worse ,

I'm sure I've read an answer to sticky stocks on here previously, if you search you'll probably find it.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I'm sure I've read an answer to sticky stocks on here previously, if you search you'll probably find it.
    Most probably in the members only section that one,

If it's a soft touch coating that's going sticky the only option is to strip it.

99% IPA & a cloth usually works once the coating starts to give out.

I truly hate that stuff, it fails every time and seems to exist purely to ruin things that would otherwise last years. "Built in Obsolescence" comes to mind
    I've binned so many items that were too much trouble to restore.

Geoff at LSD can redo them if required.

Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    Mine is that same, I only bought it to fit studs but I've kept the original walnut stock as it's a lovely stock, I dont mind the sticky side of it at moment but it don't half pick up fluff etc and looks shabby, I'm sure halfords do a rubber type spray but I to will be keeping an eye on this thread for any advice, I guess the rubber stuff on my stock is going to get worse ,
    Here's the reply I got from Daystate.
    Unfortunately it sounds as though the molecular structure of the rubber within the stock has began to break down, and like all rubber returning to its natural state irrespective of composition, hence the stickiness. While I cannot for sure say why this is happened to yours, the common cause is petrochemical contamination, such as oil, cleaner, detergent, high levels of UV etc..

The most likely rectification method is to have your stock refinished by a third-party, or clean off the old rubber with solvent, and re-coat with rubber spray found that many Motor factor resellers, shops etc.

We do not have any replacement stocks, but likely you will find one via social media or other areas should you need, or do it yourself as there are many guides on the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by where's it gone View Post
    Here's the reply I got from Daystate.
    Unfortunately it sounds as though the molecular structure of the rubber within the stock has began to break down, and like all rubber returning to its natural state irrespective of composition, hence the stickiness. While I cannot for sure say why this is happened to yours, the common cause is petrochemical contamination, such as oil, cleaner, detergent, high levels of UV etc..

The most likely rectification method is to have your stock refinished by a third-party, or clean off the old rubber with solvent, and re-coat with rubber spray found that many Motor factor resellers, shops etc.

We do not have any replacement stocks, but likely you will find one via social media or other areas should you need, or do it yourself as there are many guides on the Internet.
    Thanks for the info but it's quite a common thing with these stocks, Saying that I had a lovely Joe rocket motorcycle jacket that i bought from M&P motorcycles in Swansea some years ago, It was a cracking jacket and in all fairness it was waterproof. Anyway I decided to remove the back armour to fit in another jacket which was more suited for the winter only to find that the back protection had seemed to have melted like a 1000 black Jack's that had been munched by a donkey, Jesus it was awful, Went straight in the bin, Was gutted as it was a lovely jacket to,

Just done a quick wipe over of the guns and came to my air ranger , The stock on it at moment is the above, Rubber coated, Its quite messy now , Picking all bits of fluff etc, I'm gonna stick the walnut one back on for now but as the above, Any quick remedies.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Sorry, it's a stock refinish I'm afraid, they tend to do about ten years or so before going, but when they start, that's it
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    Sorry, it's a stock refinish I'm afraid, they tend to do about ten years or so before going, but when they start, that's it
    It's ok now I've got the minelli one back on and fixed studs to it yesterday , Only bought the other to fix studs and to keep the other stock nice , The gun is looking lovely again and someone is supposed to be picking the other one up later, The tackiness was ok it's the stuff that sticks to it and makes it look shabby. I was tempted to get it dipped but I got to stop keeping stuff just for the sake of it, Thanks anyway,

The tackiness can be removed using isopropyl alcohol and a lint free cloth or a green pan scrubber.

I always understood it was the plasticser leaching out of the material.

I have an army sleeping bag and the waterproof bottom stuck to a sleep mat.
    Last edited by Neil54; 30-01-2022 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Spell checker
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    The tackiness can be removed using isopropyl alcohol and a lint free cloth or a green pan scrubber.

I always understood it was the plasticser leaching out of the material.

I have an army sleeping bag and the waterproof bottom stuck to a sleep mat.
    Thanks for the advice, If this chap dont turn up today then I may keep it and have a play,

as solvo has said best option

Quote Originally Posted by rapidresponse1 View Post
    as solvo has said best option
    Thanks, it's still here but ive removed it from sale , I may have a play with it, May even get it dipped at a later date.