Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Sporter or HFT 500?

Ultimate Sporter or HFT 500?

I'm looking at a replacement for my Wolverine and I have narrowed it down to the Air Arms Ultimate Sporter R or the HFT 500. My decision has been made partly on the excellent customer service that AA seem to offer.
    I'm not a fan of shrouded barrels (well that limits my choice) and I like the look of the HFT, but I'm not sure about the long barrel cantilevered from the breech block or that it's single shot. The latter will be a pain on a cold range day! I will also need to hang a mod on that too for use at home.

Does anybody have strong opinions on either? - good or bad please.
    And there is the Galahad. Worth a look or too limited?

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Depends what you do with your rifle - Do you hunt, do comps, just plink?
    Good deals with these members

A bit of everything really. Paper punching, FT at local shoot and some ratting and squirrelling (in descending frequency).
    A rifle for every occasion would be good, but Mrs. Carrott may have something to say about that as I use that approach with bikes

aa

if you are going to be hunting it would be the ultimate sporter, if really it is range work - HFT500 definitely. The ultimate sporter is accurate but in my experience the hft is better but a bit of a lump for hunting and obviously only single shot.

Based on what you've said Ultimate Sporter all the way. I've had both; well traded the HFT for a US and whilst I don't have it anymore I still rate as a great all rounder.
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

Quote Originally Posted by old barn View Post
    if you are going to be hunting it would be the ultimate sporter, if really it is range work - HFT500 definitely. The ultimate sporter is accurate but in my experience the hft is better but a bit of a lump for hunting and obviously only single shot.
    My thoughts exactly. I can't help feeling that the HFT looks a little delicate for the great outdoors.

Does anyone know of significant or persistent problems with either rifle? Mag indexing seems to raise its ugly head, not a problem on the HFT, although having to persuade a pellet into the groove when my hand are cold is a big negative - I know that from my Harrier!

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrott View Post
    A bit of everything really. Paper punching, FT at local shoot and some ratting and squirrelling (in descending frequency).
    A rifle for every occasion would be good, but Mrs. Carrott may have something to say about that as I use that approach with bikes
    If this is descending frequency then I'd get the HFT500, like many I have had both, and on a range a single shot does not slow you too much, but encourages you to take your time. My US was a good and accurate rifle, no issues on either, and I'm not aware of either of them having a list of them? If you were a hunter first, then it would be the other way round
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

HFT 500...then shoot live a bit slower.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

You also said you need a mod to shoot at home. I seriously wouldn't go down the HFT 500 route at your stage of the game. The stocks the same, if you get in to FT you'll probably end up getting something altogether different anyway.
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

I use my HFT500 for FT and benchrest..shoots as good as pretty much anything I've seen...good guns.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

But then he's gonna need to stick a mod on the end making a long rifle really long and also taking off some of the bling. I'm not saying the HFT 500 isn't a good rifle, I'm saying it doesn't fit what he's asking for.

Quote Originally Posted by bootneckbob View Post
    But then he's gonna need to stick a mod on the end making a long rifle really long and also taking off some of the bling. I'm not saying the HFT 500 isn't a good rifle, I'm saying it doesn't fit what he's asking for.
    It really depends on how loud the muzzle crack is from the HFT. I've only dry fired it in the shop, which is pretty meaningless. My neighbours are very easy-going though if I'm firing off 100+ rounds per session their tolerance might be tested. I could swap between stripper and mod. as required but then there will no doubt be a POI shift so it just gets messy.
    In honesty, I'm leaning towards the US, but.....
    Thanks very much for your thoughts.

It's not the loudest of PCPs but like you I also shoot in my garden, or like to be able to. My neighbor saw me loading up my car a while back and started talking. During the chat he mentioned his dog getting stressed when I'm shooting. Now as I have a dog myself I have to be a little sympathetic to this as mine doesn't dig it but doesn't make a fuss either. Given the chance she would rather not be around me shooting I know that much.

I ended up fitting a rowan adapter to my Steyr so I can shoot that at home and keep my hand in for standing and kneeling practice and I still shoot my 97 and 98 with silencers on. My Pro Target on the other hand I won't unless I know they are out with the dog. Fortunately they've buggered off to Spain this weekend for a couple of months!

I don't get POI issues with the Steyr as its not floated and is braced, plus it's an easy screw on moderator. Some would argue that would give me issues but that's another thread and FWIW I don't get issues. Not attributed to that anyway.

Sound advice.
    TBH after problems with Wolverine POI I am tending towards something with a barrel band (braced barrel?), so another tick for the US. My Harrier has one and I've given it a few accidental knocks over the years with no POI shift. I did comment before about the HFT having a lot of barrel hanging on the breech block. Do owners of these use boxes rather than bags, I wonder?

I wouldn't worry about the barrel getting knocked in a bag, it's not that weak. Getting knocked over or dropped different matter but not much would stand up well to that. I think my Challenge would very well but I handle it like I paid 2 k for it, not like it's my service rifle. That's not to say that wasn't looked after either but you try doing commando training with your pride and joy on you and see how you get on!

Anyway, the Ultimate Sporter suits what I think you are asking for and can be used with a single shot adapter if you want to use it for target work or competition (HFT/FT). The barrel and accuracy is plenty good enough to get you going. When the rifle becomes the liability not you then I'd say you're ready to move on and bounce right over the HFT 500 too.

I'm not really an Air Arms fan although I've had quite a few, EV2, pro Pro Target, Pro sport, 400, 410, 510, HFT 500, 3xS200s but I'd have another US if I had to have just one rifle for 'everything'.

My EV2 was new to me in 2007 and was great, my Pro Target was new to me last year and is in original condition, that's great too, the 400 and 500 series are reasonably good run of the mill rifles, the 200 aren't really theirs and are excellent for accuracy but the newer target rifles have been disappointing for me. Actually getting worse over time rather than better. Maybe the XTi will change that? But to stay on topic I think you will be happy with a US but I'd avoid any of the black ones or part black and stick with the laminate. If the soft touch is like many others it doesn't last long before it will need doing again. It's a shame the walnut one isn't all walnut. Just my two pennies.