Thread: old gem

old gem

i have a composite gem which fires high. i think the front sight might not be original. has anybody any ideas, and also does anyone do spares for these rifles . thanks.

Hi,

Re. front sight, what sort of range are you shooting over?...is the barrel bent upward?...is the barrel catch tight with no play? ...or any play in the action to stock joint?

Re. spares, these use leather piston and breech seals (can't remember the sizes, sorry)...Protek usually have Gem pattern springs in stock, so always worth giving them a call.

Edit: from memory...maybe a 1" cup seal for the piston seal and around 9-10mm flat seal approx 2-3mm thick for the breech seal???...please do check these sizes before you order anything!...and if you do get stuck I can make them for you if you verify the sizes needed.
    Last edited by DCL_dave; 27-10-2021 at 12:48 PM.
    blah blah

old gem

everything seems fine no play anywhere and barrel appears strait. im shooting just over 10 mtrs and its firing about 3 inches high.

Quote Originally Posted by bribri View Post
    everything seems fine no play anywhere and barrel appears strait. im shooting just over 10 mtrs and its firing about 3 inches high.
    If you have any chemical metal/epoxy...add a little blob to the top of the front sight blade to build up the height, dress it back with a file and colour it with permanent marker or paint...you may have to play around to get it right but its reversible and works with what you got.
    blah blah

old gem

thanks dave will give it a try.

Old Gem

I did the above with my Gem pattern, which also shot high. It now puts 3 shots into the centre of a 1" bull at 10 yards!
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.