Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Airguns.

pjbingham is offline My mother was flexible,but couldn't do Thursdays
    I shot various air rifles and pistols as a youth but the first rifle I actually owned was a Mk6 Airsporter that I bought at a jumble sale at the local village hall when I was 12ish in about 1986/7 so it wasn’t that old at the time. The seller had x2 Airsporters at £50 each and I chose the one with the nicest looking stock (looking back I think the other one was a much earlier Airsporter and probably the better rifle) I knocked him down to £45 and raced the 50 yards home to recover my stashed car washing money. I still have it today, when I was getting divorced a few years back my ex wife made me sell everything but I stashed a few things under the insulation in the loft and the Airsporter was one of them. The day she finally left (first week of January 2008) I returned home to find the whole house completely emptied. The phone,water, electric etc was all cut off (cos she’s an unpleasant spiteful cow) but by torch and candle light I retrieved my Airsporter from the loft and sat on the floor giving it a clean and oiling and I had never been happier in my whole life

Quote Originally Posted by pjbingham View Post
    I shot various air rifles and pistols as a youth but the first rifle I actually owned was a Mk6 Airsporter that I bought at a jumble sale at the local village hall when I was 12ish in about 1986/7 so it wasn’t that old at the time. The seller had x2 Airsporters at £50 each and I chose the one with the nicest looking stock (looking back I think the other one was a much earlier Airsporter and probably the better rifle) I knocked him down to £45 and raced the 50 yards home to recover my stashed car washing money. I still have it today, when I was getting divorced a few years back my ex wife made me sell everything but I stashed a few things under the insulation in the loft and the Airsporter was one of them. The day she finally left (first week of January 2008) I returned home to find the whole house completely emptied. The phone,water, electric etc was all cut off (cos she’s an unpleasant spiteful cow) but by torch and candle light I retrieved my Airsporter from the loft and sat on the floor giving it a clean and oiling and I had never been happier in my whole life
    Good to hear you got your priorities right.

Brian

First one I actually owned for myself was a Slavia ZVP pistol for a 13th birthday present in 1964.

Happily, my divorce was slightly less edgy.

I guess the sad thing is that the idea of finding an air rifle at a village hall jumble sale is now largely a thing of the past.

OMG. What a sad story, but with a happy ending. You lost a wife, but kept your Airsporter, which is the main thing.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Who was it who said "You either leave your house and kiss your wife goodbye or leave your wife and kiss your house goodbye".

Brian.

I started off with an El Gamo back in '82, then as seems common in a lot of post the ubiquitous Harrington Gat gun before my first mk1 77 bought new and I would love to have it back..... Left-handed tyrolean stock... Kassnar 4-16 x40 scope a cut down loading port and a few internal tweaks.... Then I think I have bought and sold most things till my Aircartridge obsession, which cost me a heck of a lot and is currently worthless.....
    Hind sight is a wonderful thing, if only I had kept the right things at the time.... Laiser 12....Genesis... Venoms

I still have the Webley Falcon my dad bought for me to use when I was eleven, I've just given it it's second refresh internally and treated it to a reblue and and a stock refurbish, I regularly exercise it down the local range, usually chasing tin cans up the lane and let as many folk who want to have a go...most have never seen, let alone fired an old Springer, it's quite amusing

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Palmer View Post
    I still have the Webley Falcon my dad bought for me to use when I was eleven, I've just given it it's second refresh internally and treated it to a reblue and and a stock refurbish, I regularly exercise it down the local range, usually chasing tin cans up the lane and let as many folk who want to have a go...most have never seen, let alone fired an old Springer, it's quite amusing
    Bought a Falcon off a regular on here a few years back. It's a lovely gun, feel it's better made than the Meteors I've had of the same vintage. And I love my Meteors. Can't understand why the BSA outsold it by loads - was there a big price difference back in the day?

ATB

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

CLOGGER is offline Ex proud Yorkshireman, Now soft southern shandy drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Palmer View Post
    My first airgun was also a Webley Falcon in .22, bought when I was 13 for 10Guineas from a local 2nd hand store (including bag, scope and target holder) with savings from my first Saturday job, and I still have it 50 years on. I probably used about a tin of pellets every couple of weeks, and shot pretty well with it, despite it's little pencil-like Webley 4x15 scope - I wish I could still shoot as well off-hand now as I did back then with the little beauty

All the best, Clogger

Quote Originally Posted by laverdabru View Post
    Bought a Falcon off a regular on here a few years back. It's a lovely gun, feel it's better made than the Meteors I've had of the same vintage. And I love my Meteors. Can't understand why the BSA outsold it by loads - was there a big price difference back in the day?

ATB

Bru
    You are right that the Falcon is a better or at least better-made and finished gun.

The Falcon on introduction in 1962 was £10.12s.6d. The Meteor was £9.10s. That 10-11% price differential may not seem a lot now, but was then.

And the Meteor seemed cool and trendy and was marketed with a scope.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    You are right that the Falcon is a better or at least better-made and finished gun.

The Falcon on introduction in 1962 was £10.12s.6d. The Meteor was £9.10s. That 10-11% price differential may not seem a lot now, but was then.

And the Meteor seemed cool and trendy and was marketed with a scope.
    Just had a look at the value of a £1 in 1962 compared to today, works out at close on £20. As you rightly say, a lot back then.

ATB

Bru.
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    My first rifle was a Webley Hawk MkII, which I got for my 11th birthday (1976). It was stolen during a burglary, and when the police recovered it, the miscreants who stole it had wrecked it. I did get another to replace it, but not for many years after.
    The same year I got the Hawk for my birthday, I got a Crosman 1300 pistol for christmas, and I still have that. It's had about 3 sets of replacement seals and still works well.
    The first rifle I bought with my own money was a Hawk MkIII in .177 from The Mart in Lowestoft. I still have that, and it's in its original box.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    I'm still not either
    You're bloody good at hiding them.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Mine was a Haenel Mk4E, it was given to my grandfather by his father probably around 1930 and passed down to me and my brothers. It's the only air rifle I wouldn't part with and hopefully my daughter will enjoy shooting it.