Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 0.22 Target pistol

0.22 Target pistol

I noticed on one of the gun selling websites that a 0.22 calibre Tau 7 was up for sale. I have no interest in buying it, but curious as the what shooting competition uses 0.22 air pistols.
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

0.22 Target Pistol

Below is an extract from the NSRA Rules:

9.2.1.3 any type of compressed air or CO2 pistol calibre not exceeding 5.6 mm (.22 in) and of dimensions not exceeding those in Rule 9.2.1.1. The trigger must support 500 g (1.1 lb) weight; or
    9.2.1.4 any air pistol complying with Rule 9.2.3; or
    9.2.1.5 any type of muzzle-loading pistol or revolver of 5.6 mm (0.22 in) calibre.
    9.2.2 Pistols used in competitions under ISSF or other rules must conform to the specific regulations governing those competitions.
    9.2.3 Air pistols used in competitions under ISSF rules may be any type of compressed air or CO2 pistol calibre 4.5 mm (.177 in) which conforms with current ISSF regulations.
    You will see that 10m air pistol will (normally) be restricted to .177 but .22 may be used for other competitions. So, if you shoot 20 yard air pistol you may use .22. The Competitions Handbook is the best source, if you look at Competition 270 - Club Pistol you will see:

0.177/0.22 air pistols may be used. Free pistols may be used.
    Less well known is the fact that 20 yard pistol targets should all be scored with a 0.22A gauge. It’s the same for LWSR air\rimfire.

Rutty

Thank-you, I don't think I ever would have found that!

The British Pistol Club shoot 25m with Air.
    Anyone know if they use .22 Air pistol for this or conventional 10m Match pistol??

J
    Steyr LP10, AA S200 .177,
    Remmy Express .177, Sig Sauer P226- .177
    Crosman Rabbitstopper- .22, Chinese XS36-1- .22

As a Tau fan, all I can say is that the .22s are VERY rare.
    What model was it? A Standard or Silhouet?
    Pitty the UK has left the EU; wouldve been a nice add on to my Tau collection...
    ATB,
    yana

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehoolio View Post
    The British Pistol Club shoot 25m with Air.
    Anyone know if they use .22 Air pistol for this or conventional 10m Match pistol??

J
    The BPC 25 mt matches, Standard pistol, and Sport pistol, are shot with 4.5mm 10 mt match pistols, mostly 5 shot, or if you are at quick reloading for "sport pistol" you can use a single shot.

In almost 50 years of shooting I've never seen a match .22 air pistol, I wonder if its a mistake by a seller not familiar with match pistols.

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    As a Tau fan, all I can say is that the .22s are VERY rare.
    What model was it? A Standard or Silhouet?
    Pitty the UK has left the EU; wouldve been a nice add on to my Tau collection...
    I must apologise for my poor memory, it is an Aeron Brno Chameleon. I blame old age...

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/air-pi...11029135746217

Looking into the usage of target PL15, I see that the Hendon league has an individual entrant competition (No. 9) that can use 0.22 air pistols, but nobody ever enters it!

I could be the default winner with any old scores...

Some years ago (following requests to do so) the MPL Postal Competition ran a 6 yard class for .22 recoiling air pistols.

In the event, the class was not too well supported, and George and myself ended up battling it out at the top of this particular class - and I shaded it "by the skin of my teeth" to win this "one-off" competition.

I still have the winning .22 Original Model 5 (with a grey coloured one piece moulded grip type) and have never found a use for it since!

One of the problems at the time was finding a good choice of .22 flat head pellets to fit the pistols, but fortunately the .22 Hobby pellets fitted and grouped in my Model 5 very nicely!
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Toyed with the idea of shooting NSRA Club Pistol with a .22 airpistol. But it is very hard to find a good quality .22 air pistol with match sights and ergonomic grips plus decent handling.

Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    Toyed with the idea of shooting NSRA Club Pistol with a .22 airpistol. But it is very hard to find a good quality .22 air pistol with match sights and ergonomic grips plus decent handling.
    Suitable pellet choice could end be just as big a problem - even if you could find a good .22 match pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Some years ago (following requests to do so) the MPL Postal Competition ran a 6 yard class for .22 recoiling air pistols.

In the event, the class was not too well supported, and George and myself ended up battling it out at the top of this particular class - and I shaded it "by the skin of my teeth" to win this "one-off" competition.

I still have the winning .22 Original Model 5 (with a grey coloured one piece moulded grip type) and have never found a use for it since!

One of the problems at the time was finding a good choice of .22 flat head pellets to fit the pistols, but fortunately the .22 Hobby pellets fitted and grouped in my Model 5 very nicely!

I too have an Original Mod 5 in .22 that would be a useful gun to use in the MPL.....maybe another category could be added to the forthcoming MPL competitions starting in January 2022 .... I would enter with the Mod 5

What do you think Bob ?

Suitable pellet choice could end be just as big a problem - even if you could find a good .22 match pistol.
    I've had a quick look on the J S Ramsbottom and Uttings websites and have found the following .22 flat head pellets:

Webley Verminpell

Crosman Wadcutter Match pellets (similar or the same as the Webley Verminpell)

RWS Meisterkugeln

RWS Hobby

JSB Jumbo Match pellets

BSA Target Flathead pellets

Norma S-Range Match pellets

Bisley Practice pellets

Umarex Mosquito
    Last edited by Paul SE; 04-11-2021 at 10:56 AM.
    ATB, Paul
    Always looking for new members at the Swalecliffe and District TSC in sunny Herne Bay
    http://www.sanddtsc.org.uk/

We did try that some time ago Paul - and although we had several requests to make a 6 yard MPL Air Pistol Competition for .22 recoiling springers, if I remember correctly (?) it almost ended up with just George and myself finishing the series on our own!

The others who enquired about it (or showed some initial interest/encouragement) mostly didnt actually enter the competition (!)

Yes I still have my .22 Original Model 5 (with the one piece grey moulded grip), but I honestly don't think there would be enough interest to run a competition for .22 spring powered air pistols......but it would be really nice to be proven wrong.....

I would rather try to get a few more confirmed entries for the .177 6 yard MPL Air Pistol competition if we could. At the moment the classic air pistol shooters are a "bit thin on the ground" - maybe not so many people are interested in shooting with their classic springers any more?

[QUOTE=zooma;8083867

I would rather try to get a few more confirmed entries for the .177 6 yard MPL Air Pistol competition if we could. At the moment the classic air pistol shooters are a "bit thin on the ground" - maybe not so many people are interested in shooting with their classic springers any more? [/QUOTE]

I completely agree with that Bob, presently the 6yd MPL air pistol entries are a bit thin on the ground it would certainly be good to get somemore interest

We can't seem to get many folk shooting airguns at our club at all
    ATB, Paul
    Always looking for new members at the Swalecliffe and District TSC in sunny Herne Bay
    http://www.sanddtsc.org.uk/

I thought NSRA Club Pistol would allow any shape of projectile because it is mostly shot with .22LR so domed pellets were an option. That would include a lot of good quality pellets from the best makers.

But Rule 9.2.6 seems to specify that air pistols must fire flat heads. That is very annoying. Whoever thought that up was not thinking that someone might want to shoot some comps with a .22 air pistol.

Pellet choice would be limited.

Suitable gun might have to be a custom job.
    Last edited by Powderfinger; 08-11-2021 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Clarity and Rule Number