Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sheridan Model B Sporter

Though I’m impressed with your skills and courage in the end your just convincing me to stay away from this classic American treasure. The strong lock-tight seal says to me Sheridan only wanted these repaired at the factory? Crosmans though not as nicely made are pretty easily resealed. But moreover I just think pump guns are just a inferior design compared to good spring guns? Much more complex, having to hold the pressure, the seal must be perfect and pumping is really inefficient given so much energy is lost to heat.
    Last edited by 45flint; 28-11-2021 at 08:03 PM.

"Old thread revival".

My A is working well. My nylon valve seal polishing seems to have worked in the end. Perhaps it needed some "bedding in". Now it consistently holds air; I test up to 8 pumps.
    Polishing the inlet seal of the valve, has eliminated the small leak that was present from the start, after the first pump.

@45flint, I think that these valves aren't too difficult to work on, to be honest.
    The nylon seals have lots of "meat", so it makes me actually confident that I can keep using it for a long time.
    With valves that need a new polyurethane seal, this is more difficult; I would need to buy a lathe, learn how to use it, get rods of polyurethane, and develop skills. This would take years (and lots of phone calls to Lawrie LOL).

Pump guns an inferior design compared to good spring guns?
    "Each to their own". My HW30 Lochschaft is probably my best airgun, but I find it boring . I would much rather do a session with say.... my Super Grade

Then the B, which I repaired for my friend Milo.
    It is working well and his pride an joy.
    Milo has built up this impressive Sheridan collection in the course of only 1 year, and is still going strong. Holland was one of Sheridan's main export markets in the seventies and eighties.

I like Milo's display, I wish I had space to display my Benjamins like that.

Your Sheridan B was made to last and it has to be the holy grail of American classics.

I do find Weihrauch's are good but they don't get me that excited when shooting them.

Most people see pumpers as effort but some of us see them as the benefits of precharged without the hassle of scuba tanks or stirrup pumps. So we do don't mind the trade off.

Quote Originally Posted by ratbuster2240 View Post
    I like Milo's display, I wish I had space to display my Benjamins like that.

Your Sheridan B was made to last and it has to be the holy grail of American classics.

I do find Weihrauch's are good but they don't get me that excited when shooting them.

Most people see pumpers as effort but some of us see them as the benefits of precharged without the hassle of scuba tanks or stirrup pumps. So we do don't mind the trade off.
    Hi ratbuster2240, sorry for my late reply.
    I have an A, but no B (yet haha): this one belongs to Milo. He found it at Baker Airguns in the USA, and I helped him with getting it to Holland, and with repairing/resealing.

I agree with your view on pumpers. They are my preferred airgun mechanism.

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    I have an A, but no B (yet haha): this one belongs to Milo. He found it at Baker Airguns in the USA, and I helped him with getting it to Holland, and with repairing/resealing.

My other reason for preferring spring guns over pumpers especially in older classics is that with pumpers, seals must be perfect to function whereas spring guns with leather seals seem to go on and on. It can loose some power with age but is still a joy. Have numerous pumpers and they seem to be the last rifles I take out to shoot? It is a hoot that I in the land of the pumper prefer spring guns and you in the land of the spring gun prefer pumpers! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    My other reason for preferring spring guns over pumpers especially in older classics is that with pumpers, seals must be perfect to function whereas spring guns with leather seals seem to go on and on. It can loose some power with age but is still a joy. Have numerous pumpers and they seem to be the last rifles I take out to shoot? It is a hoot that I in the land of the pumper prefer spring guns and you in the land of the spring gun prefer pumpers! Lol
    Most of my Sharp pumpers are still running on original seals. They were made in Tokyo in the eighties.
    Most old springers need a new spring after a few decades? If you want good power/no twang.
    Just my experience lol.
    When a pumper needs new seals, I find it much more interesting to work on than a springer.
    When I use a pumper, I don't have recoil. 4 easy pumps is usually plenty for my 20 and 30 meter shooting. I also don't need to worry about shot count and filling like in a pcp or CO2 gun. Simply a-ma-zing! Haha.
    "Each to their own".

An A even better!

45flint is correct in saying that the leather spring piston seals are more forgiving but some correctly lubed Sheridans are still running in the same seals from the 1950s.

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post