Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The enjoyment of reloading!

Quote Originally Posted by dave milne View Post
    What presses do you use?
    I have a Lee 4 die turret press. My favourite for everything. Very quick calibre changes.
    A Dillon RL 650 set up for .38 my most used round
    And 2 x Dillon Precision Square deals set up for 9mm and .45
    I have a Lee triple turret, would love to change it to a 4 turret.

Quote Originally Posted by drogo View Post
    I am starting to reload .303 . Reading a lot and researching different loads. What are you reloading .303 with?
    Privi brass, Remington magnum primer, 16gn of 2400 and a powder coated cast bullet on top.

Did a pound cast to get the throat size and run the bullets at .314 with a gas check. Had the modify a Lee collet die and a lee sizing die to get the measurements I wanted.

I started reloading about 10 years ago and to be honest it bored me silly, but over the years I have come to regard it as something to enjoy.. I actually look forward to it now and 10 years on I have reloaded enough to have reached the point where I am actually saving money

I have been watching a lot of youtube vids on casting bullets recently so this may well be next on the list..

Eyefor is offline The Artist Formerly Known as Maple
    Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    i love reloading but find trimming tedious and boring
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickstar007 View Post
    Never get bored off reloading, but trimming is a pain!!
    ..but the end result of good trimming is well worth the effort?

Find a used Wilson micrometer trimmer and stand for around a £100 or so and the trim process becomes quick, 100% accurately repeatable and you'll never lose money on the piece of kit.
    If it flies, floats or fornicates, always rent it - it's cheaper in the long run. - Felix Dennis

for me it just closes the circle for accuracy. i find it very beneficial for mental health as the process is simple yet complicated. i normally load about 100 at a time and may do it over a couple of nights dependant on how fussy i'm being with cleaning, trimming , double weighing and COAL. all very rerwarding.
    Rapid 7 / 10-22 ATN 2 Stiller Predator .204 Pulsar N970 Tikka T3 semi custom ATN MARS thermal.204 Tikka T3 Semi.223 Wylde IOR Operator Lawton 6mmBR Kahles Gen 3 - Stiller 6.5 x 47 Bushnell BDX - Winchester Red Performance SX3 12g

I’m well over my reloading honeymoon now! I do it because I have to, load for 8 calibres currently and it Just takes up too much time when I could be out shooting!!
    Thanks for looking

Just a necessity, sometimes rewarding

For me reloading is a necessity, both economically and practically. For example, my club's 25m pistol range does not allow jacketed bullets of any kind. OTOH there are calibers I like to shoot (say, 7.62x25) for which commercial lead ammo simply is not available, so I have to roll my own. I do not get any great enjoyment from reloading, but don't think it as a big nuisance either. There have been some satisfactory moments, though. A couple of years ago I got myself a T/C Contender silhouette pistol in 7mm TCU, which is a semi-wildcat cartridge using 7mm rifle bullets on an opened up .223 Remington case. It was my first experience with that kind of stuff and it took some time and a lot of before I found out why only some of my ammo fit in the chamber and some did not. After learning how to make them all fit, for a short moment I was just a little proud of myself
    Last edited by Ari_H; 14-01-2022 at 09:09 PM.
    Nature always tells the truth. It's up to us to understand what it is saying.