Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HW30 HFT (@ TonyL)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    how about we go about reducing the HW99's swept volume so that we get to a very sweet 9 to 10? Wouldn't take much doing at all, considering how sweet they already shoot at 10.5 and sometimes more. On a simple conversion, maybe a slight stroke reduction would do it and balance all the other components to suit? And then a nice, big heavy stock to add mass.
    Firstly the OP Craig, that is one tasty HW30 probably one of the best I’ve ever seen

Tony, apologies for cutting your reply.

Just to add to your comments as you know back in the summer I had a play with doing just as mentioned to a HW99S

Sadly when my 3 month break followed I annoyingly cut that rifle loose

But going back to said 99s for a second my own findings were extremely positive to elaborate;

I had an as new 99s in stock .177 calibre at the time and the route for that version was to try a reduced volume setup via a tbt short stroke which isn’t usually the route most go with a 99 sub 12 type setup.

However knowing this is quite a popular route for the lower restricted power markets eg GDM etc I thought it was worth an experiment, firstly I got an engineering friend to make the rear guide and top hat for me using the original spring cut down a tad he also glided the piston and I installed a 10mm short stroke head.

Now as we all know the 99 platform is quite a short stroke as stock hence why the firing cycle and manners of the 99 are so popular however with an even shorter short stroke SSS via the tbt nose it was certainly interesting even at reduced power think it was around 8.5FPE from memory and it shot absolutely sweet as

I agree with the weight though as a heavier stock would have certainly made it into a really ace more target focused setup but alas I didn’t get any further or any further chances with experimenting with different power and springs etc and sadly moved it on.

Good fun though and the seed is planted for future reference.

At a regional HFT event, pre Covid, one of our 'senior' members decided to shoot the course with a bog-standard HW30 of his sons. When he came to a 35 yard target he announced to those around him 'I will never reach that never mind kill it!'.
    He shot and got a round of applause for killing it.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    Tony, my tx is 21 not 22 mm and will make up to 12 fpe, my 22 mm 77/97 will make up to 12 also. The one we all liked at the bash with the longer stroke was actually the one doing 10.5. Only putting it straight as people might get the wrong Idea, as a certain somebody we mutually know has been banging on about low power being more accurate rubbish) probably because his work struggles to make power .
    However by coincidence today I am revisiting my 20 mm comp tube, originally I had to re jig the under lever geometry to get enough stroke for 11 + fpe , which was impractical for a repeatable conversion, at the standard stroke it makes 10 fpe so probably ideal for your Idea.
    My plan is that now I have a more efficient seal and transfer port arrangement in my armoury I am going for 11.😉
    Quick log-in at break time at work......

Sorry for getting those bore dimensions mixed up, Nick, but thank you for correcting.

20mm? Wow! Now that could also really be something. What are the options for suitable springs, though? If that can be made to work nicely (and if anyone can, it's you) and repeatedly it could be the next big thing. Will keep an eye out.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    This has reminded me of a blog I used to read by an American hunter who used to use an FWB300 to control small vermin. They key criteria for him to do this was windless conditions otherwise it was a no go.
    Against tin plate targets rather than live quarry trying to figure out the windage sounds tricky/fun 👍
    Ah yes, I remember that.

I think Craigy has unknowingly started off a classic thread.

Will rate accordingly.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post
    Firstly the OP Craig, that is one tasty HW30 probably one of the best I’ve ever seen

Tony, apologies for cutting your reply.

Just to add to your comments as you know back in the summer I had a play with doing just as mentioned to a HW99S

Sadly when my 3 month break followed I annoyingly cut that rifle loose

But going back to said 99s for a second my own findings were extremely positive to elaborate;

I had an as new 99s in stock .177 calibre at the time and the route for that version was to try a reduced volume setup via a tbt short stroke which isn’t usually the route most go with a 99 sub 12 type setup.

However knowing this is quite a popular route for the lower restricted power markets eg GDM etc I thought it was worth an experiment, firstly I got an engineering friend to make the rear guide and top hat for me using the original spring cut down a tad he also glided the piston and I installed a 10mm short stroke head.

Now as we all know the 99 platform is quite a short stroke as stock hence why the firing cycle and manners of the 99 are so popular however with an even shorter short stroke SSS via the tbt nose it was certainly interesting even at reduced power think it was around 8.5FPE from memory and it shot absolutely sweet as

I agree with the weight though as a heavier stock would have certainly made it into a really ace more target focused setup but alas I didn’t get any further or any further chances with experimenting with different power and springs etc and sadly moved it on.

Good fun though and the seed is planted for future reference.
    Brilliant. Thank you for the input, Nick. I was wondering how this project had worked out; sounds excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    At a regional HFT event, pre Covid, one of our 'senior' members decided to shoot the course with a bog-standard HW30 of his sons. When he came to a 35 yard target he announced to those around him 'I will never reach that never mind kill it!'.
    He shot and got a round of applause for killing it.
    A most lovely and entertaining little tale there, I.J.

Y'know, the other one that would be lovely would be an old-school HW50 with Rekord trigger.

Just waiting for the latch rod to set then on with the testing 🤞I have set the port length to the same as the tx MK3 , for soft cycle , and using an hw 30 spring, see how we go .

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    A most lovely and entertaining little tale there, I.J.

Y'know, the other one that would be lovely would be an old-school HW50 with Rekord trigger.

Like this one? Dated 1992 - it originally had a Perfect trigger unit.

Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

So got this 20 mm running, and it's making 9.8 with 7.9 and 9.6 with 8.4. that's on an o ring, skirtless piston , (piston is a bit of a lash up and not exactly concentric), so I think with a re think on the piston and a synthetic piston ring, could possibly see 10.5 with fingers crossed and a following wind .
    The cycle is extremely stable .

So, circa 750 fps is already excellent, Nick, and will give a nice trajectory. Wonder what it would be like with 7.33s?. And, as you say, with a few more little refinements....., and all this from the little 30 spring confirms the efficiency. Guessing the piston is very light but also that the sectional density has to be there or thereabouts.. Nice one!

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Like this one? Dated 1992 - it originally had a Perfect trigger unit.

Yep, it's just like the unfinished (well, not started yet) project one I have here.. Our good friend oldskoolz sourced it for me a few years ago. A lovely example it is, too. Shame it's a .22. It has the Perfekt trigger currently but I have a Rekord on standby ready to go in and it's in serious need of a good de-boinging.. Must get onto it.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Not yet I'm afraid, to many things need doing around the house and the weather and dark nights are drawing in, so not much if a chance, I've hardly looked at any if mine.

Pete
    Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    And yes it was lovely to shoot.
    It would be nice to finally make some time and have a pleasurable plink together, Pete.. Must be so nice to have a partner that is interested. But such a shame she hasn't been able to have an enjoyable session with it yet.......Sort it!

Yes, that little 30S of Craig's, now pictured in all its gorgeousness, is amazing to shoot. Nigh-on as close to recoilless as you're going to get but with just a teensy, weensy hint of something happening inside to let you know you're shooting a living, breathing springer.

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    This has reminded me of a blog I used to read by an American hunter who used to use an FWB300 to control small vermin. They key criteria for him to do this was windless conditions otherwise it was a no go.
    Against tin plate targets rather than live quarry trying to figure out the windage sounds tricky/fun 👍
    That’s exactly the key to it.
    The ultra mild manners of the 30 allowed me to clearly watch the pellet flight and impact, even at x4 magnification - albeit the impact impacting in the wrong place most of the time
    I think if nothing else, it’ll make for a fine wind training tool. And when I use a full power rifle for proper HFT, it’ll feel like I’m using a .204...
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

I bet those impacts were in the correct place more times than you're letting on, Maestro.. Wonderful thread, my friend.

A little update, made a new piston from some cast iron I had with little radial clearance to stop it rocking ( skirtless piston problem), power came up with the o ring, so made a piston ring, and ended up with 7.9 @ 10.6 fpe, tried the 7.3 falcons on Tony's suggestion and 10.8 , that's 817 fps.have seen over 11 but it's dieseling at that point. The up side is the cycle is fabulous, from memory not that far away from Craig's 30.
    I tried a softer spring and more piston weight @ 9.5 fpe the cycle was ridiculously good .
    The piston is still rocking creating friction, so if I make a bespoke longer comp tube I can use a longer piston nose with a bearing at the rear , the piston ring will form the front bearing , there could be a bit more to come .
    I think once I have it in a full set up maybe meet up with Craig and compare it to his 30 .