Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HW30 HFT (@ TonyL)

Had a measure up and change of plan , going to make a full piston ,(don't like skirtless) , Probably make a new comp tube as well , as it's for me 😊

Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    I think once I have it in a full set up maybe meet up with Craig and compare it to his 30 .
    I’d say that’s a must, mate. Might suggest the GreyHound and then we can discuss stuff over a festive beer...
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    This has reminded me of a blog I used to read by an American hunter who used to use an FWB300 to control small vermin. They key criteria for him to do this was windless conditions otherwise it was a no go.
    Against tin plate targets rather than live quarry trying to figure out the windage sounds tricky/fun 👍
    Ian Law used to use an FWB300 in the early days of FT and won a fair bit with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    I’d say that’s a must, mate. Might suggest the GreyHound and then we can discuss stuff over a festive beer...
    I like the sound of that, I will crack in with the final set up , got trans port to fiddle with now.
    Edit opened up the port bby 0.1 and added 1 mm preload now doing a solid 11 fpe with 7.3 so going ahead with a full piston to drop the friction even lower.
    Last edited by NickG; 09-11-2021 at 06:46 PM.

A little update, made a new piston from some cast iron I had with little radial clearance to stop it rocking ( skirtless piston problem), power came up with the o ring, so made a piston ring, and ended up with 7.9 @ 10.6 fpe, tried the 7.3 falcons on Tony's suggestion and 10.8 , that's 817 fps.have seen over 11 but it's dieseling at that point. The up side is the cycle is fabulous, from memory not that far away from Craig's 30.
    I tried a softer spring and more piston weight @ 9.5 fpe the cycle was ridiculously good .
    The piston is still rocking creating friction, so if I make a bespoke longer comp tube I can use a longer piston nose with a bearing at the rear , the piston ring will form the front bearing , there could be a bit more to come .
    I think once I have it in a full set up maybe meet up with Craig and compare it to his 30 .
    Wow! Sounding excellent, Nick, and all from these small components. You're a genius.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by bezzer View Post
    Ian Law used to use an FWB300 in the early days of FT and won a fair bit with it.
    Vindication of our thinkings. Obviously, he'll have come to the same conclusions re wind. Great stuff.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Had a measure up and change of plan , going to make a full piston ,(don't like skirtless) , Probably make a new comp tube as well , as it's for me 😊
    I like the sound of that, I will crack in with the final set up , got trans port to fiddle with now.
    Edit opened up the port bby 0.1 and added 1 mm preload now doing a solid 11 fpe with 7.3 so going ahead with a full piston to drop the friction even lower.
    Double wow!. Nice one, Nick. Also preferring the idea of the full piston. That spring must have fairly dainty dimensions.. If this works as well as hoped with that degree of refinement, and at that power, it has to be a winner.. Well done.

And that'll be a most enjoyable, possibly historic (?) little meet-up..

A little update.......power came up with the o ring, so made a piston ring, and ended up with 7.9 @ 10.6 fpe, tried the 7.3 falcons on Tony's suggestion and 10.8 , that's 817 fps.have seen over 11 but it's dieseling at that point. The up side is the cycle is fabulous, from memory not that far away from Craig's 30.

I tried a softer spring and more piston weight @ 9.5 fpe the cycle was ridiculously good .

Just a quick few further thoughts whilst you're in the development stages, Nick (although I know that things are never, ever, done forever).......I know the set-up has changed slightly since the evidence of dieselling (maybe opening up the TP helped), but I'm guessing you'll be running a pretty "dry" set-up, so if we had a little dieselling we must be looking at some pretty high temperatures at spike. Might this indicate we're working the volume a little too hard and, maybe, pointing to a slight backing off to help consistency further and longer term longevity?

Loving that "I tried a softer spring and more piston weight @ 9.5ft.lbs the cycle was ridiculously good".

[QUOTE=TonyL;8085541]Just a quick few further thoughts whilst you're in the development stages, Nick (although I know that things are never, ever, done forever).......I know the set-up has changed slightly since the evidence of dieselling (maybe opening up the TP helped), but I'm guessing you'll be running a pretty "dry" set-up, so if we had a little dieselling we must be looking at some pretty high temperatures at spike. Might this indicate we're working the volume a little too hard and, maybe, pointing to a slight backing off to help consistency further and longer term longevity?

Loving that "I tried a softer spring and more piston weight @ 9.5ft.lbs the cycle was ridiculously good".[/QUOTE

With the skirtless piston I have to run lube, and if I go +1 mm more of pre load it diesels, running a full piston I can run bone dry, so in theory nothing to burn.
    I plotted the trajectory on chairgun and the 7.3 at 11 fpe fly flatter than 8.4 at 11.6, 7.3 at 10 actually give the same trajectory , so on paper there is room to drop the power, going to have a quick shoot with it today.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    nick, if you want an extra couple of mm of stroke, why not just go with the shorter port..? should give you another 0.5 - 0.75 and still be quite soft enough. 7mm long will still be soft and stable at 2x diameter. My guess is the better alignment of a full piston might give you a little more too...

PS You might find the 7.3s less stable in the wind...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

With the skirtless piston I have to run lube, and if I go +1 mm more of pre load it diesels, running a full piston I can run bone dry, so in theory nothing to burn.
    I plotted the trajectory on chairgun and the 7.3 at 11 fpe fly flatter than 8.4 at 11.6, 7.3 at 10 actually give the same trajectory , so on paper there is room to drop the power, going to have a quick shoot with it today.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha, Mr G.

Looking forward to hearing how today's testing goes.

Nice Stock, who made the stock ?

My friend Warren Edwards inletted it, I shaped and profiled it.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

My friend Warren Edwards inletted it, I shaped and profiled it.
    Ok and Can made me one for hw35 ? Have you Idea Price ?