Thread: 410 roll turnover tool

410 roll turnover tool

I've just received one of those roll crimp tools off the bay from Russia (with love). It works well. My home made one worked nicely but tended to bell out at the end which made a tight fit in the chamber. The Russian one is pretty much factory standard.

One question though for anyone that knows- What the hell is the smaller black tool for. I can't see any use for it at all.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

PV is offline I'll get to 1000 if it kills me..
    Difficult to say without a picture/description. Is it a base to stand the case on?

Quote Originally Posted by PV View Post
    Difficult to say without a picture/description. Is it a base to stand the case on?
    No. Not a crimp starter either. Pictures on the bay. “410 roll crimper”
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

It looks to be about the right size to accommodate the cartridge base, first impression would be you could de-cap through it as it does’t seem to have any way to hold the cartridge if it was being used as a holder whilst crimping.

Is it for loading slugs so the tip sticks threw the top of the case??

Is it a pre-crimper to roll the edge of the case in before doing the rolled turnover?

When I was a lot younger my dad had me helping to reload shotgun cartridges using a thing that clamped onto a table top, and on top of the table clamp was a sort of vertical G clamp with threads at both ends and a handle at the top.
    To reload different calibres you screwed a different base into the bottom end, and the corresponding turnover tool into the top end with the handle and turned the handle to move the roll crimp thingy down until the turnover was done.

Those bits look very similar to me, apart from it doesn't have "patina" from years of use

With a bit of playing around with it, it could be for use with one of those turn of the century hand rolling crimp tools. Both bits have M6 threads to screw them to a mandrel or shaft. One piece on either end would probably grip well enough to roll the case. The small piece has a taper so all case bases would probably work.

I'm using a pillar drill and a pair of pliers so 'tother bit is redundant.

It works well though.

Just found this utoob https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE
    Last edited by DesG; 09-11-2021 at 08:33 PM.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Does the plastic bit fit onto the metal bit - perhaps it is a shim to change thread sizes.

There is a crowd in Russia called Forest Camping - they do a wide variety of crimping tools and hand loaders for all the gauges. They sell on the bay - but if you google 'forest camping crimping tool' or similar - you will find lots of reviews.