Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WTF? Really? Custom W Mk3 at auction.

WTF? Really? Custom W Mk3 at auction.

https://auctions.holtsauctioneers.co...166968&image=8

What the heck is this thing? Any ideas on provenance? And does anyone think it’s worth £500 + fees?

Someone has certainly put a lot of time, effort and money into that rifle, and I wonder what they have done to the internals.
    Whether it's worth the estimated price will be determined if it sells.

It looks an interesting piece, just don't like the Beech? cheek piece on a walnut stock it looks well odd... Might have had internal work as its got a different trigger mech??
    Would be nice to know its history....

Stunning quality. The cheek piece looks out of place though on a otherwise stunning stock. Lots of love has been lavished on her over time thats plain to see.

Mk3

This particular rifle appeared in an auction earlier this year and was sold for £250. It's got a custom lefthand stock with with added cheekpiece.the fact that it's at auction at Holt's means to me that it's been put up by a chancer.
    £250 max.

Someone's spent a bit of time on it but that cheek piece!?!?
    Wonder how it's fixed on as the stock itself looks well made & finished & it might be a pity to see it marked beneath so I suppose a replacement cheek piece out of a decent bit of timber might be a way round, it scope mounts look moderately high so I guess one might be of help, but can't help thinking its a shame it wasn't incorporated in the custom stock in the first place.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I'd don't mind it, but the price is silly for something that will just come down to personal taste. £250 sounds more sensible (if you like it)
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

pjbingham is offline My mother was flexible,but couldn't do Thursdays
    If that was mine I’d have to replace that stock, I wouldn’t be able to live with it.

Is it a Don Robinson stock I wonder.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

WTF indeed. That cheekpiece on a cheekpiece is just gross and yes, worthy of Don Robinson. Taking a rifle designed in the 1930s and adding a 1980s+ stock is a time warp taste violation, frankly.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I like my rifles plain and spartan, but I always like seeing Don's stocks, they are very distinctive. But to many peoples tastes well OTT. Though quite a few people do really like them as well, which is nice that he brought them pleasure.
    You always get the feeling he was really enthusiastic and had great fun doing them, with exotic named wood. On his website he had custom guns with exciting names like "Normandy landings".
    I never met him, but heard somewhere he was an immensely talented stock maker, but you needed to rein him in, else he would start getting over creative. I think he did the FWB sport that got presented to Prince Charles, that maybe then went to the NRA in the states ?
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    I like my rifles plain and spartan, but I always like seeing Don's stocks, they are very distinctive. But to many peoples tastes well OTT. Though quite a few people do really like them as well, which is nice that he brought them pleasure.
    You always get the feeling he was really enthusiastic and had great fun doing them, with exotic named wood. On his website he had custom guns with exciting names like "Normandy landings".
    I never met him, but heard somewhere he was an immensely talented stock maker, but you needed to rein him in, else he would start getting over creative. I think he did the FWB sport that got presented to Prince Charles, that maybe then went to the NRA in the states ?
    I’ve never seen any of his engraving without thinking both that it’s really talented and that it’s really horrible
    Morally flawed

Quote Originally Posted by oldcurmudgeon View Post
    This particular rifle appeared in an auction earlier this year and was sold for £250. It's got a custom lefthand stock with with added cheekpiece.the fact that it's at auction at Holt's means to me that it's been put up by a chancer.
    £250 max.
    'orrible looking thing.

I agree with this post!

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    I am curious as to how much of the disllke of this gun is down to the fact that it is derived from an actual Webley classic? Would the general opinion be completely opposite if the gun was identical but had been built from scratch?