Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pushing the envelope . :TX 200

Pushing the envelope . :TX 200

Been tuning the tx among other things for around 7 years in that time tried every piston diameter weight stroke configuration you can think of and settled on 21 mm diameter.
    Recently got talking to Tony L & Craig p about the possibility of a lower powered rifle for hft , inspired by Craigs excellent Hw 30.
    I attempted a 20 mm comp tube a few years back , but couldn't stop it dieseling, so only got 9 fpe consistently, so thought I would have another go at it applying everything I have learned in the years since.
    So started with the old comp tube I had( using the tx breech seal set up ) and knocked up a skirtless piston, using an o ring and the hw 30 spring results were promising, so improved the breech with the arrangement I use in my 21 mm , and changed the o ring to a synthetic piston ring, this made power in the tens with 8.4 , but with light 7.3 made 10.8, Tony and Craig would be happy, but I want it for Ft, So aiming for 11fpe plus. Downside is the skirtless piston rocking gives poor consistency, so inspired decided to go the whole hog !

A few random pictures above , in summary I now have a full piston with a steel skirt, which luckily weighs the same as the skirtless one, I will be using piston ring
    Aluminium compression tube with bearings to keep everything concentric, breech arrangement that uses an o ring to seal on the outside of the barrel, and seats the pellet,
    I have selected a latch rod from my stash that has a longer button on the end to mini mise lost stroke, and increased the scallop in the under lever , managing an extra 2 mm of stroke that's 100 mm.
    So latch rod loctite setting as we speak, will be testing over the weekend.
    For those wondering I have used ally comp tubes successfully after hard anodising, but for one tube it's too costly, I have the bearings, and piston ring sized so there will be no metal to metal contact, and will be running it with zero lube.

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    Sounds interesting Nick. Looking forward to following it's development
    Pete

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    so the big circlip is to retain the double o-ring sealed comp tube end plug ?
    Interesting design, makes it very easy to change the port configuration.. presumably it's a tight enough fit so it's not going to move around much, but how do you get any pressure on the breech seal without it just pushing the end plug back (fractionally) into the tube ?
    or the fact that it fits around the barrel, means that the friction rearwards is sufficiently low that this isn't an issue ?
    Looks like a nice low-lost-volume solution.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Great work, it's what you guys do in the shed today that we see creeping into the main stream in the future
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

sounds good bud

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    so the big circlip is to retain the double o-ring sealed comp tube end plug ?
    Interesting design, makes it very easy to change the port configuration.. presumably it's a tight enough fit so it's not going to move around much, but how do you get any pressure on the breech seal without it just pushing the end plug back (fractionally) into the tube ?
    or the fact that it fits around the barrel, means that the friction rearwards is sufficiently low that this isn't an issue ?
    Looks like a nice low-lost-volume solution.
    Exactly that Jon, big o ring crush on the two large o rings, very light on the breech seal, the comp tube outer front face also bears on the action when locked up . It all works without a spring in 😂,have to see what happens when I shoot it .

Sounds interesting Nick. Will be great to catch up next year

As per comments on that other thread, Nick, very ingenious and with some very inventive thinking in many areas. Well done.. Firing cycle sounds utterly sublime.. Hopefully the long-term longevity testing all goes to plan and it'll be job done.

And all (again, as we said on Craig's 30 thread) from a nice, simple, self-contained format with easy cocking offering easy serviceability and a most forgiving cycle combined with just enough character to let you know it's a living, breathing springer.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    I love the way you just "knocked up a piston", as if you where just making a cuppa.
    Excellent work as usual and it's not until you try some of these rifles that you appreciate what you all do.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    Exactly that Jon, big o ring crush on the two large o rings, very light on the breech seal, the comp tube outer front face also bears on the action when locked up . It all works without a spring in 😂,have to see what happens when I shoot it .
    worst case you can always add a couple of grub screws to take out any movement.. interested to see how it all works out
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I love the way you just "knocked up a piston", as if you where just making a cuppa.
    Excellent work as usual and it's not until you try some of these rifles that you appreciate what you all do.

Pete
    Absolutely, Pete.. Many of us out here can't / don't have the means of even making a humble top hat and yet here we have our talented home engineers thinking up, designing, experimenting and testing and they're also all happy to share with us how they've achieved their wondrous creations. Over the years at the Boinger Bash events we've been so lucky to try out some lovely specials from the likes of Nick, Jon, Mick, Bigtoe and WonkyDonky and they've been utterly superb.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Over the years at the Boinger Bash events we've been so lucky to try out some lovely specials from the likes of Nick, Jon, Mick, Bigtoe and WonkyDonky and they've been utterly superb.
    I honestly think Nick is really pushing all the rest of us into the second tier of shed tuning... very impressive.

Don't know about that Jon , some of your ideas are in this mate
    Had it over chrono , put 3 mm less preload in to be in the safe side and it made 11 fpe straight off once the piston ring beds in it should improve , interestingly the 7. 3 are now a tad less at 10.9 but nothing in it , 8.4, are 10.6 fpe, I am now in 3 mm port 7 mm long , going to try more piston weight with less spring, cycle might get even better being a bit slower, so all good at the minute ��

Excellent reading, mate - and tremendously done.
    Will this be as negatively effected by temp as the previous setup? The 21mm I’m running at the minute doesn’t move.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation