Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Pushing the envelope . :TX 200

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    you looked at the diana underlever/sidelever platform Nick ?

Some interesting attributes that are of value when looking at long strokes..

Long cylinder/loads of spring room
    Long (100mm min) strokes as std
    28mm easy to find tube to sleave down
    short stock TP arrangement
    the one piece design is no issue for o-rings, as you are sealing 1mm shy of the front of the tube anyways
    spring loaded sealing on the underlevers
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I tried one a while back , didn't like the breech arrangement, I tried it at 22 mm never got it working right, might go back to it , though the 100 mm stroke I am getting in the tx is ample for 20mm bore, now I have super efficient breech sealing and piston seal.
    Tx has far better finish also in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    Hi Tony, I think it's about there , However 🙄, building one as we speak to test in my target rifle,I am making a steel comp tube ( there is a convenient size available ), the only change in specification is a slightly shorter stroke as the other one made high 11's and I don't need that much, and a shorter stroke may be even better 🤞.Got the comp tube finished need to do the piston now so should have it in the gun by end of next week 🙂
    Excellent.. It's not an area where one needs to save weight anyway, Nick, and I guess that longer term longevity would be even more assured?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    you looked at the diana underlever/sidelever platform Nick ?

Some interesting attributes that are of value when looking at long strokes..

Long cylinder/loads of spring room
    Long (100mm min) strokes as std
    28mm easy to find tube to sleave down
    short stock TP arrangement
    the one piece design is no issue for o-rings, as you are sealing 1mm shy of the front of the tube anyways
    spring loaded sealing on the underlevers
    I tried one a while back , didn't like the breech arrangement, I tried it at 22 mm never got it working right, might go back to it , though the 100 mm stroke I am getting in the tx is ample for 20mm bore, now I have super efficient breech sealing and piston seal.
    Tx has far better finish also in my opinion.
    Mmm....that does sound promising though, doesn't it? Don't be telling Barry, though. else he'll be getting all sorts of excited!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    tbh I'm thinking if you want to get down sub 20, you'll need some extra stroke... also the spring room - you can get many more active coils in a diana.
    yeah, finish is nowhere near, but it does have some good design features.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

"You can get more coils in a Diana". Fnar, fnar!oldwink:

So finished the second one , and didn't have enough room to cock it in my target stock, so reduced the stroke by 2 mm(98 mm) stroke to reduce the throw of the under lever.. power went down to 10.9, so had another go and reduced by 1 mm, power now sat at 11.2 , so all good, shooting lovely, will shoot it Wednesday in a "friendly" comp with my shooting mates . That will be the acid test.

Excellent stuff, Nick. Good luck for the test on Wednesday. Should be milder, too

Go on then, Nick.. You know I simply have to ask....????

Shot it today, with my two mates Anschutz and FTP 900, It's definitely nicer to shoot than my previous power plant, a bit softer and slightly less sight picture movement, can shoot it sat on my knee, ie no need to put my hand under the stock , in fact I just sit it there and hold my knee with my left hand to brace my position. Mind I could do that with the 21 mm as well ,so it's a subtle improvement, the law of diminishing returns and all that .
    I suppose the best way to sum it up, is that I only built the action a few days ago so it probably had maybe 60 shots through it, and I came first today scoring a 31/ 40, three point ahead of the FTP.

Gun rested directly on knee, very little sight picture disturbance and whupping PCP butt? RESULT!. Top work, Maestro!. So, some endurance testing and trials, get Claire on the blower......job done and those charecterless and needy pre-charged namby pamby things is no more sub 12!

Shot it today, with my two mates Anschutz and FTP 900, It's definitely nicer to shoot than my previous power plant, a bit softer and slightly less sight picture movement, can shoot it sat on my knee, ie no need to put my hand under the stock , in fact I just sit it there and hold my knee with my left hand to brace my position. Mind I could do that with the 21 mm as well ,so it's a subtle improvement, the law of diminishing returns and all that .
    I suppose the best way to sum it up, is that I only built the action a few days ago so it probably had maybe 60 shots through it, and I came first today scoring a 31/ 40, three point ahead of the FTP.
    Brilliant result mate. Although after the way it felled targets in that badly inletted standard stock, I’m not exactly surprised.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation