Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air rifle piston polishing

Yes, I looked into that a little a few years ago when another member on here (Paul, Airsporter 1st) commended its use. Sounds very, very good. Shame that (like many moly products) it seems much easier to obtain in the 'States.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

It's also called CV joint grease, widely available this side of the pond. If it's good enough to take the stresses in a CV joint in a car, it's good enough any springer can throw at it. Most reputable car makers sell their own brands in small packets to service CV joints for their cars. I got some from Peugeot that is very slippery , a little goes a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by dvd View Post
    It's also called CV joint grease, widely available this side of the pond. If it's good enough to take the stresses in a CV joint in a car, it's good enough any springer can throw at it. Most reputable car makers sell their own brands in small packets to service CV joints for their cars. I got some from Peugeot that is very slippery , a little goes a long way.
    The CV joint greases I've tried have not had the same high moly content as the moly pastes.
    They have also been less sticky, so will be more prone to migrate into places you may not want them to go.
    Too many airguns!

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Yes, I looked into that a little a few years ago when another member on here (Paul, Airsporter 1st) commended its use. Sounds very, very good. Shame that (like many moly products) it seems much easier to obtain in the 'States.
    Liquid Moly LM48 is a Tungsten Disulfide paste despite it's title and is readily available in the UK.

Born Again is offline Owns three Roy orbison albums
    Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Liquid Moly LM48 is a Tungsten Disulfide paste despite it's title and is readily available in the UK.
    I've just read up on Tungsten Disulphide, that's an amazing material ! Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by dvd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Dvd - re the CV joint grease, I've never tried it. But if not using an "airgun specific" grease, I've found the Moly Open Gear greases effective.

Harvey - thank you for that; will look into it.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

CV joint grease is typically 3-5% moly. I tend to use 45-60% moly in high load applications on springers - spring ends and pivot pins etc.
    The old STP and graphite mix also works very well and I'm using that more than I used to on pistons and guides...

Quote Originally Posted by Fudgeisbest View Post
    Why when trying to improve the performance of a spring piston air rifle do people feel the need to polish the piston.
    Is it not true that the only part of the piston that is in contact with the Cylinder is the seal.
    In my Venom tuned 80 they polished the rear half of the piston not all of it
    Impact Airguns GSX 200 0.22/0.177 Ben Taylor Smooth Twist
    Theoben Rapid 12 0.20 Tyrolean - HW80 Mk1 VMach 0.22
    HW97K 0.177 Paul Short Stage 4 Titanium Piston