Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Airsporter vs new budget springer

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Josey; I'm guessing that you didn't have a clue when you first asked that original question that you'd be starting off quite an epic that a fair few people will be watching with interest? Nice one.
    As you know Tone, I'd rather have an older springer than a new one, in the past it was because of lack of funds but also my love of the Mercury/Challenger/Airsporters looks (and they are British made) but I think even you will agree now that the cheaper rifles are just not made as well as they used to be (there are the exceptions like the Remmington express etc) , even HWs have suffered with the modern HW77 not being as well made as the older ones, I know BSA's are not the best example to choose as being well made with pivot pins instead of bolts and poor triggers etc and the internal mess that you can sometimes find inside Mercs/sporters when the buffer washer has shit itself.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Josey; I'm guessing that you didn't have a clue when you first asked that original question that you'd be starting off quite an epic that a fair few people will be watching with interest? Nice one.
    No, no idea, but there could just be a few unused Airsporters lying around !
    Last edited by Joseyw; 03-12-2021 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    As you know Tone, I'd rather have an older springer than a new one, in the past it was because of lack of funds but also my love of the Mercury/Challenger/Airsporters looks (and they are British made) but I think even you will agree now that the cheaper rifles are just not made as well as they used to be (there are the exceptions like the Remmington express etc) , even HWs have suffered with the modern HW77 not being as well made as the older ones, I know BSA's are not the best example to choose as being well made with pivot pins instead of bolts and poor triggers etc and the internal mess that you can sometimes find inside Mercs/sporters when the buffer washer has shit itself.

Pete
    The Remmingtons were kinda the reason for my original question but still happier to repair the Airsporter

Quote Originally Posted by Joseyw View Post
    The Remmingtons were kinda the reason for my original question but still happier to repair the Airsporter
    They still need work to get them to shoot nice, they are one of the better Chinese clone rifles.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Pete
    Yep, some of those "thoroughly British" BSAs didn't do anything for the reputation and heritage of this classic brand, let alone the newer ones.

Of the modern stuff, I must say that I was very pleasantly surprised with the overall quality and internal finish of that Gamo Vipermax that you sent me the WW kit for. Much nicer than expected.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

No, no idea, but there could just be a few unused Airsporters lying around !
    Agreed. There will be lots of unloved and forgotten about ones out there.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

They still need work to get them to shoot nice, they are one of the better Chinese clone rifles.

Pete
    You most certainly took the correct route there, Josey. The Airsporter is an absolute classic and will be loved by many forever. The "Remington" will be just another forgotten about fraud. Its origins mean it won't ever be something that I'd want to own.

While I’m waiting for parts, might as well get other stuff ready.
    It seems like the quietest (really want to minimise noise for neighbours - I know, shouldn’t be using old underlever springer then pellet catcher or backstop will be a box stuffed with old clothes or paving slab with carpet in front of it ? I take it that these work well or anything better?
    Cheers

If you have the time, also take a look at one made from a cardboard box and stuffed with rubber mulch. Often championed by Tom on the Pyramydairblog.. They sound excellent and I really must get round to trying one myself. Will try and post a link.

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2021...t-and-bb-trap/

Here you go. I think Part 2 is the bit you'll most need.

P.S.....Whilst waiting for parts, maybe you'll have done this / some of this already.......clean the cylinder and, if it were me, I'd be treating it to a little moly.....either powder or small amount of high content paste, or one of the aerosol dry moly sprays.......applied to cylinder and buffed in. Also clean the trigger out as best you can and lube with a little gun oil / light machine oil on pivots / bearing surfaces. Make sure you have a little moly grease and paste ready for the rebuild. Will's kits come with their own grease which seems very good for spring / guides etc but I'd still be happier also applying some moly paste to high load areas like the very rear of the piston and pivot points. Also a tiny smear on the end of the cocking rod in the piston. Hope this helps a little.

P.S.....Whilst waiting for parts, maybe you'll have done this / some of this already.......clean the cylinder and, if it were me, I'd be treating it to a little moly.....either powder or small amount of high content paste, or one of the aerosol dry moly sprays.......applied to cylinder and buffed in. Also clean the trigger out as best you can and lube with a little gun oil / light machine oil on pivots / bearing surfaces. Make sure you have a little moly grease and paste ready for the rebuild. Will's kits come with their own grease which seems very good for spring / guides etc but I'd still be happier also applying some moly paste to high load areas like the very rear of the piston and pivot points. Also a tiny smear on the end of the cocking rod in the piston. Hope this helps a little.
    Also if you have some small files and wet and dry paper, get rid of all the sharp edges on the cocking slot on the outside and inside.

Pete

Absolutely, Pete.. Yes, sorry, forgot to mention that.

P.S....Got a welcome extra day off today. Using holiday days up and we may have had a family hospital run to sort. Now probably happening tomorrow, so I think the Mercury S will be having some plinky playtime shortly.

Absolutely, Pete.. Yes, sorry, forgot to mention that.

P.S....Got a welcome extra day off today. Using holiday days up and we may have had a family hospital run to sort. Now probably happening tomorrow, so I think the Mercury S will be having some plinky playtime shortly.
    Good man.

Pete

If you have the time, also take a look at one made from a cardboard box and stuffed with rubber mulch. Often championed by Tom on the Pyramydairblog.. They sound excellent and I really must get round to trying one myself. Will try and post a link.

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2021...t-and-bb-trap/

Here you go. I think Part 2 is the bit you'll most need.
    Cheers for link.
    That looks perfect, shoot, shake around, stick another target on, patch it up again and carry on and so on.

On the list to do

I was going to use the grease in the kit, but will look out for the Moly grease / paste type as well and use as suggested.

Thinking re-the standard Airsporter piston O ring that can be tight and rob power, and perhaps a leaky tap hear and there, I wonder how many actually came out of the factory never making the claimed power even after bedding in?

Cheers
    Last edited by Joseyw; 05-12-2021 at 12:37 AM.