Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Airsporter vs new budget springer

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseyw View Post
    On the list to do

I was going to use the grease in the kit, but will look out for the Moly grease / paste type as well and use as suggested.

Thinking re-the standard Airsporter piston O ring that can be tight and rob power, and perhaps a leaky tap hear and there, I wonder how many actually came out of the factory never making the claimed power even after bedding in?

Cheers
    Probably not many, I had a look at a mk1 Airsporter yesterday and marvelled at the self opening tap and that one was also so air tight, thinking about it I've not checked the taps on my two new ones I recently acquired.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

What was the name of the stuff Mick T20 recommended for lubricating the tap? It was a brand name and was a viscous lube used in optical equipment threads... at one point there was someone selling small tubs of it on the bay... it was super expensive!
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post
    Buffer probably swollen and / or disintigrated, yes, Airsporter
    Definitely the buffer, mine was the same and had to hammer the piston out. Buffer was like glue, cleaning the cylinder out was nightmare. Get the newer piston head to stop the pin coming out. Likley the pin in the old one will be bent as the buffer will have failed - so new piston head and new pin needed as well.
    Best,

Clive

Born Again is online now Owns three Roy orbison albums
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    What was the name of the stuff Mick T20 recommended for lubricating the tap? It was a brand name and was a viscous lube used in optical equipment threads... at one point there was someone selling small tubs of it on the bay... it was super expensive!
    I haven't seen that thread, but I have used a product called Kilopoise which was used to impart a "quality" feel to various rotary controls. It's discontinued now, but there are equivalents listed in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI7w9Hnj7mg

On the list to do

I was going to use the grease in the kit, but will look out for the Moly grease / paste type as well and use as suggested.

Cheers
    Re the Moly Paste. To just get a small quantity and not spend lots, try the "Bumslide" from Tinbum Tuning.
    Moly Grease:- I know some have enjoyed satisfactory results with CV Joint Greases but, for your pride of joy why not go for some stuff intended for airguns specifically? Abbey LT2 or Bisley Gun Grease is fine. And small pots of the grease and paste will last for ages and serve many guns.
    Dry Moly Powder available from Chambers Airgun Spares.
    Various Moly Sprays, like Ambersil / Rocol etc available off the 'net from tool places / motor factors.

Hope this is useful.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Greases, Check.
    “Serve many guns” lol, sounds like an excuse to look out for a Hw45
    Last edited by Joseyw; 05-12-2021 at 09:21 PM.

Indeed!.......As if any excuse were needed.

The 45 is one of my favourites and a right bundle of laughs with loads of character.

Finesse, fun and pride of ownership guaranteed. Get one!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Weihrauch salesman or shareholder it's a good gun then!
    Last edited by Joseyw; 07-12-2021 at 12:08 AM.

Kilipoise... that's the stuff! I had a bay of E search set up for that and it never came in.. I have some high content moly gas tap grease here, but its messy when it eeks out... I'd rather have some clear stuff. I've got a wee tub of really thick grease here that I might use.. not sure what it is, but it's near the look and consistency of beeswax. My dad acquired it during his years at caledonian airmotive. I've been using it recently for squeaky door hinges on my golf!
    Donald

Tap seal

I warm the tap up and rub it with a candle .

Weihrauch salesman or shareholder it's a good gun then!
    Neither a HW salesman nor shareholder (wouldn't say no, though!) and, yes, it's a superb handful of boingery pistol fun. Get one!

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    Ah, slight correction there, Donald, mate.

I didn't exactly recommend Kilopoise grease, I pointed out that it was what BSA was said to have used at the factory.

I've never really found any grease that stayed put in a parallel BSA tap and often think I should experiment by machining a couple of O ring grooves in one either side the loading port --- the grease would stay in place outside the O ring.

All the best Mick

Great thinking, Mick.

Now, and maybe I'm going mad here (I didn't own a tap loader until about two and a half years ago, when I got my 1906 BSA/LJ), but did I used to see it recommended years ago to use silicone grease? I did think it odd at the time.......

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Ah, slight correction there, Donald, mate.

I didn't exactly recommend Kilopoise grease, I pointed out that it was what BSA was said to have used at the factory.

I've never really found any grease that stayed put in a parallel BSA tap and often think I should experiment by machining a couple of O ring grooves in one either side the loading port --- the grease would stay in place outside the O ring.

All the best Mick
    Many years ago I had a leaky tap and decided to rectify it by experiment. Basically I had a spare leaky tap and fitted a PTFE or nylon rod insert (pretty sure I used PTFE?) drilled to take a 5.5mm pellet. The outside edges were just proud of the tap diameter and so gave a good seal when closed. Performance was good, it cured the leaky tap issue but I somehow doubted if it would be a long lasting solution.
    Maybe a more permanent solution could have been found? I wonder if a brass insert would have been better?
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I know some have enjoyed satisfactory results with CV Joint Greases but, for your pride of joy why not go for some stuff intended for airguns specifically? Abbey LT2 or Bisley Gun Grease is fine.
    You mean buy the same grease in a small tub with a 'gun' oriented name on it for silly money for tiny quantities.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.