Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Airsporter vs new budget springer

To test a tap .. good advice above. I have also placed a bit of moist tissue over the closed tap on a loaded gun and fired it. A leaky tap will blow the tissue off. Or you can dribble a drop of oil around the tap sides .. a leaky tap shoots the oil away. I have heard about people using talc powder for this but was warned away from talc because it can be an abrasive if not all cleaned away.
    Cheers, Phil

Ok, will see how it goes.
    Thanks Maximus

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    To test a tap .. good advice above. I have also placed a bit of moist tissue over the closed tap on a loaded gun and fired it. A leaky tap will blow the tissue off. Or you can dribble a drop of oil around the tap sides .. a leaky tap shoots the oil away. I have heard about people using talc powder for this but was warned away from talc because it can be an abrasive if not all cleaned away.
    Cheers, Phil
    I’ll try and see what it’s like when it’s back together, hope will be decent
    Cheers

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseyw View Post
    Hi Pete,
    More power or smoother? or both
    Cheers
    Both mate, you won't gain loads of power but if the old internals are saggy and weak then replacing them with new and proper fitting parts will only help the old girl, Delrin guides will stop the twang and smooth out the firing cycle.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by laverdabru View Post
    What sort of shooting are you intending to do? I find that for my general, short range plinking (20 yards or so) I do as well with my 1969 Sporter or '70's Mk 3 as I do with more modern stuff.

Plenty of info/help on here, as you've probably gathered.

ATB

Bru
    Hi Bru,
    Intended shooting would be paper and metal targets up to say 30 yards with scope if I do my bit!
    No live stuff.
    The targets from Reflex look great competitive fun with a couple of mates.

I’ve now made a start to dismantle but realised it would be good to have roll pin punches to do next job, so just waiting for delivery now
    Last edited by Joseyw; 24-11-2021 at 11:15 PM.

Nice one for making a start. How far have you got?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Not far, sling, open sights, Tasco 4x40, arrestor block and stock removed, now waiting for some pin punches.
    Looking forward to the rest

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    Hi Joseyw- OI know you haven't got a vice but have you got a 'workmate' or similar? I used to use one until I acquired a proper bench and vice.
    The 'workmate' saved me a lot of grief!
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

Hi Tony. T
    Yes, I’ll give that a go, should do the job
    Cheers.

Good suggestion Tony.T.

So, are we going to have a go at whipping that trigger block off then, Josey? As stated before, steady as you go........
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Yes gave it a go
    Muzzle on carpet, hand on trigger block (but was only hand tight ? ) unscrewed barrel, was easier than expected but the spring length when removed was only 230mm long perhaps this was why and I got lucky!
    Just got to remove piston now, is this by gently tapping piston down through the cocking lever slot until there’s something to get hold of?
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseyw View Post
    Yes gave it a go
    Muzzle on carpet, hand on trigger block (but was only hand tight ? ) unscrewed barrel, was easier than expected but the spring length when removed was only 230mm long perhaps this was why and I got lucky!
    Just got to remove piston now, is this by gently tapping piston down through the cocking lever slot until there’s something to get hold of?
    Cheers.
    Basically, yes. It can sometimes help to tap it one way a bit then tap it back then tap it forward again etc. A squirt of a lubricant on the piston body from both ends can help . Removing the tap can help this but if you are concerned, stay with lubrication from the cylinder end.
    It will come out....
    Cheers, Phil

Thanks Phil,
    Next job then, I’ll leave the tap in for now I think.
    Cheers

Congratulations on making that start, Josey.

Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony.T View Post
    Hi Joseyw- OI know you haven't got a vice but have you got a 'workmate' or similar? I used to use one until I acquired a proper bench and vice.
    The 'workmate' saved me a lot of grief!
    All dismantled now
    Used workmate as you said
    Piston sure gets stuck in there good and proper! Lots of cleaning up to to do.