Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Airsporter vs new budget springer

Well done, Josey.

Not sure if we have mentioned this before or not, but on the rebuild give a Meteor 'O' ring a try as opposed to the one sold for Airsporter / Mercury. Much easier, nicer fit. I did this following tips and advice from other knowledgeable people on here and it worked well. Re the buffer, people like Chambers and Knibbs sell them. But I have also seen recently that Protek sell some which may be more durable long term? Maybe worth a go? And others alter the head locator on the piston, lose the buffer altogether and gain some stroke.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Have ordered new seals including Meteor one (thanks Phil Russell) Also a WW kit

Excellent.. Should all be fine.. As recommended by Pete, I also used the WW kit when I did my Mercury S. What's the waiting time for the kit?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Could be 30 working days, plus any Christmas holiday, or postal delays.

Will is a top chap to deal with. Knowing what he's like (and he's not one to over-promise), I wouldn't be at all surprised if it arrives sooner than expected and well in time for Christmas.

Is there a short list of .22 pellets known to work well with the Airsporter barrel? Super Domes?
    Cheers

Superdomes and ftt 5.53 work good in mine
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Thanks

I'm a committed fan of the FTT. Excellent in all the HWs that I've tired them in. Hence, I'd guess the above recommendation to be spot on, especially in that stated larger size. Although a Mercury and not Airsporter, mine does also like the Superdomes and the budget line from H&N, the Excite Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseyw View Post
    Hi Bru,
    Intended shooting would be paper and metal targets up to say 30 yards with scope if I do my bit!
    No live stuff.
    The targets from Reflex look great competitive fun with a couple of mates.

I’ve now made a start to dismantle but realised it would be good to have roll pin punches to do next job, so just waiting for delivery now
    Should be fine for that. Used to use mine (1969 Mk 4?) for plinking at 25/30, but due to Mrs Lb's assorted trees growing I'm down to 20 yards now! Fascinating & interesting thread, btw. Also got a badgers bum condition Mk 2, maybe I'll be inspired to do something to that

ATB

Bru

PS Agree with the Superdome/FTT recommendations. Found the Excite Hammers vg in .177, must give the .22's a try.
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Hi Bru,

Yep, ill be happy with competitive plinking now i understand its accuracy limitations and power expectations.

To be honest I'm chuffed i asked the original question and decided to take the repair route as for the princely sum of about £15 and a bit of time (the piston head, piston and spring cleaned up being serviceable) then i would have a useable 41 year old gun

I did however as recommended, upgrade some internals with a WW spring kit £60
    The Seals, buffer washer and pin from Chambers about £15
    Hopefully these will be with me before Christmas

So for about £75 i have saved my old gun from being given away, sold for a pittance or put back in the loft
    I'm more than happy incase you hadn't guessed

I don't know about the "fascinating and interesting thread" though lol, as i'm sure you guys get asked these questions hundreds of times over! and must get bored.

Cheers
    Last edited by Joseyw; 30-11-2021 at 07:18 PM.

We never bore of boingery banter, Josey.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Excellent.. Should all be fine.. As recommended by Pete, I also used the WW kit when I did my Mercury S. What's the waiting time for the kit?
    I ordered a WW kit for my Stingray last week, not heard anything on when it will arrive, I also found out that Knibbs do the Titan Delrin guides to fit the Titan Airsporter springs, so as I'm just down the road from them now, I got a kit, it works out a bit cheaper than a WW kit and as I have a few slip washers and power bands left over from previous kits, so that is another avenue I'm exploring, I have two Airsporters needing tuning (when I get the time), so I like to mix things up sometimes, so it will be interesting to see what these Titan tuning parts are like when installed, they fit really well in the springs, obviously the spring will need shortening but all I will do is strip down my other Airsporter and measure the spring in that one.

Pete
    Last edited by look no hands; 01-12-2021 at 04:51 AM.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Superdomes and ftt 5.53 work good in mine
    My Mk 2 in 177 is a full Ft/lb more powerful with superdomes than any other pellets but whatever I shoot its the only Accurate Airsporter I have ever owned (or shot )

I don't know if Will uses the Titan fitment marketed for each model or if, through his years of experience, he sometimes will use ones intended for different models to achieve the results he desires, Pete? Other than that, if those Titan guides are a good fit as stated, all should be good once the spring has been suitably shortened. Be interesting to hear how you get on.