Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Airsporter vs new budget springer

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I don't know if Will uses the Titan fitment marketed for each model or if, through his years of experience, he sometimes will use ones intended for different models to achieve the results he desires, Pete? Other than that, if those Titan guides are a good fit as stated, all should be good once the spring has been suitably shortened. Be interesting to hear how you get on.
    I believe Will makes all his own Delrin parts for each kit, so the spring fits perfectly, I only bought it to see how it all goes, there was no waiting time for it to be made and I saved a fiver on postage, we shall see.

Pete
    Last edited by look no hands; 01-12-2021 at 10:07 AM.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    My Mk 2 in 177 is a full Ft/lb more powerful with superdomes than any other pellets but whatever I shoot its the only Accurate Airsporter I have ever owned (or shot )
    The pellets that sit higher in the tap generally develop more ME in my experience. My 177 S will do 11.9 ft lbs but I have dropped it back to under 11 now in a bid for accuracy.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I believe Will makes all his own Delrin parts for each kit, so the spring fits perfectly, I only bought it to see how it all goes, there was no waiting time for it to be made and I saved a fiver on postage, we shall see.

Pete
    Sorry Pete, we're at crossed purposes here. What I was getting at was will Will always use the Titan spring that is marketed for a particular model or might he (as many do) use a spring meant for another model to achieve a different character? Like might he use one with thinner diameter wire? I know he turns the guides for each individual spring to achieve that true custom fit and alters the spring, hence the wait.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Sorry Pete, we're at crossed purposes here. What I was getting at was will Will always use the Titan spring that is marketed for a particular model or might he (as many do) use a spring meant for another model to achieve a different character? Like might he use one with thinner diameter wire? I know he turns the guides for each individual spring to achieve that true custom fit and alters the spring, hence the wait.
    I see what you mean now Tone, I did notice on a couple of his spring kits that one says Titan spring and another says quality spring, so not sure if he's meaning Titan for that one or another make spring?

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I've not studied them all in fine detail, Pete, but what I was referring to mainly was whether he might use an alternative spring, not listed for the model in question, but still from the Titan range? I wonder if he might sometimes, however, look elsewhere, now you mention it, or just stick with the Titans that he trusts and has the experience with?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    The pellets that sit higher in the tap generally develop more ME in my experience.
    Have you ever noticed a difference in consistency and accuracy with pellets thus loaded? I'm thinking here that it will be even harder to assure consistency with pellets not starting from a consistent place and that poor 'ickle pellet is having a most torrid time then having to traverse the tap distance and then engage breech and rifling. The more you think about it sometimes, it's surprising how well some tap loaders do actually perform when you take into account these failings.

My 177 S has always been very consistent, but I have struggled with accuracy. I have messed around with different taps and shimming options to get the alignment as good as I can, pushed pellets through to check engagement with the rifling, all sorts over the years. My conclusion is that its very hold sensitive. I have found that if I rest it on my front hand it will group very well with JSB 4.53 which also give good power as they have a fairly wide skirt and sit high up in the tap. If a tap is aligned correctly then the transition to the barrel should not be that bad for the pellet. More like a smooth section of barrel before it hits the rifling. The pellets in a lot of mag fed rifles probably go through worse.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

I've not studied them all in fine detail, Pete, but what I was referring to mainly was whether he might use an alternative spring, not listed for the model in question, but still from the Titan range? I wonder if he might sometimes, however, look elsewhere, now you mention it, or just stick with the Titans that he trusts and has the experience with?
    I think he does use different spec Titans in his rifles, I did have a lot of dealings with Will a few years ago and helped him with the making of the BSA Superstar kit, as I had one at the time and he needed specs, he did say that he was using a different spring in a rifle (can't remember which one) that was listed.

Pete

Excellent information; cheers Pete.

When I come to reassemble with the WW kit how many “power bands” are you using in your Airsporter?
    I understand each rifle can be different but just so I have an idea
    Cheers
    Last edited by Joseyw; 02-12-2021 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseyw View Post
    When I come to reassemble with the WW kit how many “power bands” are you using in your Airsporter?
    I understand each rifle can be different but just so I have an idea
    Cheers
    Did you tell Will what power you wanted to run the rifle at? Will could get the power you want with the spring and then you fine tune it with the power bands, you need to use the flat slip washers so the spring can completely revolve, one slip washer in the bottom of the piston with the top hat on top of that, then a thin power band on the top hat with the spring end on top of that, then a slip washer on the spring guide with another slim power band on that and then the spring on the guide with the spring end on the power band, you aim to make the spring uncoil without any contact with the piston or trigger block, so all the torque from the spring isn't transfered to the cylinder, personally I would aim for 10.5ftp, 11 max.

Pete
    Last edited by look no hands; 03-12-2021 at 04:35 AM.

No, there wasn’t that option when I ordered from Woodfield gcp site, only which caliber was required, sounds like 2 of the three power bands is a good place to start

Quote Originally Posted by Joseyw View Post
    No, there wasn’t that option when I ordered from Woodfield gcp site, only which caliber was required, sounds like 2 of the three power bands is a good place to start
    Thinking about it you're right there wasn't, I used to order my kits via a forum and talk to him that way, I think he's extremely busy now.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    My 177 S has always been very consistent, but I have struggled with accuracy. I have messed around with different taps and shimming options to get the alignment as good as I can, pushed pellets through to check engagement with the rifling, all sorts over the years. My conclusion is that its very hold sensitive. I have found that if I rest it on my front hand it will group very well with JSB 4.53 which also give good power as they have a fairly wide skirt and sit high up in the tap. If a tap is aligned correctly then the transition to the barrel should not be that bad for the pellet. More like a smooth section of barrel before it hits the rifling. The pellets in a lot of mag fed rifles probably go through worse.
    Thank you for sharing your experiences and thoughts on this..

Josey; I'm guessing that you didn't have a clue when you first asked that original question that you'd be starting off quite an epic that a fair few people will be watching with interest? Nice one.