Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Airsporter vs new budget springer

Very pleased 😀

So didn’t have a lot of time today and had to test in a garage.
    But very pleased so far.

I put 20 through first to make sure the the scope and muzzle were both pointing in the right direction, a little bit of oily smell for a few shots but no smoke, got me cardboard box full of clothes, hope she doesn’t notice........

Then shot 50 pellets, average of 10.74ftlbs and 574 f/s with 14.66 gr Ftt pellets, so looking good I think, this was with one power washer in the WW kit.

I did have a shock at first :eek but then realised I hadn’t changed the pellet weight from default 18gr down to 14.66gr so you might guess what sort of figure it was reading

Anyway gun felt good, recoil seemed fine but I haven’t fired a modern gun so have nothing to compare with.

So a question, roughly how many pellets shot would be needed for a gun to be considered settled in? Before I take apart and fit a second power washer? I’m sure everyone does this at first

Cheers
    Last edited by Joseyw; 08-01-2022 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
    Sentimentality is wonderful, until you actually fire the old thing. Then you remember why the aftermarket tuning industry was born.

I love the looks of my old Airsporter S, but it shoots like a box of spanners compared to modern rifles.
    A Box full of Snap-On spanner’s will do

Forgot to add the f/s ranged between 567 to 586 with one low at 552 f/s

I guess a tin or two with the same make of pellets gives adequate time to bed in, then chronograph and see results.

I don’t plan to take it apart again yet
    Last edited by Joseyw; 09-01-2022 at 12:59 AM.

That's sounding like an excellent result, Josey.

If you used the 'O' ring for the Meteor (I think / I'm guessing you did?), the running in time shouldn't be too long at all and the velocity may not increase by much at all. However, just below 11 is ideal anyway and it wouldn't take that much of a rise in velocity if you were to up the preload to get it worryingly close. A nice, smooth, well-behaved, easier cocking sub-11 is preferable to a harsher, "snarlier" 11.5+, in my book anyway, especially on one of these classics. So, once it's bedded in a little more and if you're happy with how it shoots, leave alone and enjoy.

Well done.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Yes i did use Meteor O ring, went together fine.

As you say probably best to leave alone mechanically if shooting nice i think a couple of hundred of the Ftt pellets and then the Superdomes etc, to see what pellets it prefers

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    yup, I'd not add another washer, just shoot and enjoy. you may want to consider actually removing the washer, as it may not make much difference to power, but calm it down a bit more.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseyw View Post
    Yes i did use Meteor O ring, went together fine.

As you say probably best to leave alone mechanically if shooting nice i think a couple of hundred of the Ftt pellets and then the Superdomes etc, to see what pellets it prefers
    If you wanted to give a more budget pellet option a try, although still from a trusted maker, our lovely sponsor offers the H&N Excite Hammer at a very pocket friendly £3.39 per tin of 250. My Mercury S loves them.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    yup, I'd not add another washer, just shoot and enjoy. you may want to consider actually removing the washer, as it may not make much difference to power, but calm it down a bit more.
    Ok thanks, good to know, going to run some pellets through it and see how it behaves

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    If you wanted to give a more budget pellet option a try, although still from a trusted maker, our lovely sponsor offers the H&N Excite Hammer at a very pocket friendly £3.39 per tin of 250. My Mercury S loves them.
    I’ll put them on me list, glad got a chrono now

Have bought some stuff from JSR, I look there first

Now looking at options for raising the comb on the stock now, I can see this Airsporter keeping me busy!

Cheers
    Last edited by Joseyw; 12-01-2022 at 12:26 AM.

Open sights or scope?

Have you had the chance to do any accuracy testing yet?

Scope,
    Going to use pipe insulation and tape temporarily to get idea, but will want a more permanent solution.
    Accuracy not checked at any real distance yet.

Use sportsmatch two piece double clamp low mounts available from our sponsor and a 4x32 scope then you won't need to mess with the stock.
    Ignore the blurb that says they won't do for old BSA's as they have worked fine on my mercury and Airsporter S's.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

It has a old 4x40 Tasco fitted at the moment but was looking to change to something with adjustable mag and parallax like a 3-9x40 but then the objective diameter becomes larger and mounts get higher, unless buying a side adjustable parallax but these get expensive.

The Hawke scope front diameter states 54mm, but isn’t so clear if this includes adjuster ring or just scope body? So if anybody has one and and could measure the overall diameter that would be great

Thanks
    Last edited by Joseyw; 13-01-2022 at 02:14 AM.

If fancying a zoom, how about one of the Hawke 2-7x32 models to keep things more compact? Similar magnification range to as mentioned. Well liked scopes. Everyone I've looked through has impressed. Available in Vantage, Vantage IR and Airmax.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseyw View Post
    It has a old 4x40 Tasco fitted at the moment but was looking to change to something with adjustable mag and parallax like a 3-9x40 but then the objective diameter becomes larger and mounts get higher, unless buying a side adjustable parallax but these get expensive.

The Hawke scope front diameter states 54mm, but isn’t so clear if this includes adjuster ring or just scope body? So if anybody has one and and could measure the overall diameter that would be great

Thanks

A 40mm AO scope will need medium mounts, as Tony says its best to stick to 32mm objective lens. A 4x32 is fine for an Airsporters capabilities and you don't need AO on a 4x32 in my opinion. If you go for a 2-7x32 then yes you will struggle to focus on 7x mag at airgun ranges. Not sure if a 32 AO will fit on low mounts, it might just but the lens caps will need a cut out to fit over. I do have non ao 40mm scopes on two of my Airsporters but you are only left with a 1mm or so gap between the cylinder and objective lens.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer